Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Techie Dudes

Poster: A snowHead
It appears my two year old Volkl Energy 380's had a row with a stone in the snow in Andorra last season and lost....it's left a tasty gouge and some of the wood appears to be exposed.

Can this be fixed with resin/lacquer when I get them serviced for this season or is curtains for them??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dazman, a good tech will be able to fix them...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dazman, is it on the base or topsheet?

If on the top, then resin and lacquer may work so long as they're flexable and waterproof.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dazman, I hope for your sake that no moisture got in, this may lead to other problems.

Otherwise welcome to your first core shot, it happens. And generally easily fixable. If it happens again try to dry the area ASAP and have the repair done as quick as possible.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like David Murdochs advice...throw money at the problem. I bet I know what you got your degree in.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha - The base

Parlor - I'm pretty sure it didn't penetrate that much as it was the last day and I keep them in a v dry cupboard (purpose built ski locker....get me??) so they'll have stayed dry.

Thanks for all the other advice dudes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dazman, even easier to sort out.

But resin and lacquer is a big no-no. You need a bit of base weld then perhaps a p-tex candle or powder. A patch if it's pretty big.

It's not a proper ski if it hasn't had at least one core shot.

Have a go at fixing it yourself, it isn't too hard and it's difficult to screw up the entire ski by having a go.

Do you have any tuning/repair kit at all?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dazman, Really simple, start with some metal grip wire melted into the cleaned groove and then follow that with some ptex wire melted in over that until just proud of the surface, file and scrape till level and smooth then wax, Plenty of advice on the web on how to do all this, alternatively give "Spyderjon" a PM. BTW you should have stored your skis waxed after last season rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dazman, see http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/38/34/ & scroll the 'major repairs' section at the bottom of the page.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is the maximum level of damage to the base you would accept without repairing it?

I have a shallow groove in the base of one of my skis, and I'm not sure whether it is worth doing anything about, or better to just leave it.

I wax my own skis, and have filed the edges, but have never yet carried out any base repairs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I normally don't bother with scratches or grooves unless there is a bit of ptex sticking up, in which case I will file it down flush to the base. If the scratch is very deep, close to being a core shot, I'll fill it with ptex ribbon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, That is just what I was hoping to hear Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

It is more or less what I thought, but being almost totaly inexperienced in such matters, I really wasn't sure whether I should be doing something about it or not.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, just read your page. I must confess to using a soldering iron for the base weld/metal grip Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, a soldering iron will do the job nicely - you just have to be careful as they tend to run a lot hotter than required for ski bases so could easily cook the area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Folks,

Firstly : Can I upload a photo this page?

Secondly: If I can, I'll take a photo of said "core shot" and you can all tell me what extent of repairs I need to do.
ski holidays
Upload your photos at http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/ (You need to register separately from the main snowheads site) and then link to them in the thread.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy