Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I'm driving to Tignes in a few weeks and I'm going to have my Toyota Rav-4 there with me the whole season. Clearly I'll need snow chains at some point possibly even upon my arrival as there appears to be a lot of snow out there already.

Can you buy them out there cheaper than in this country?

How much do you need to spend?

Will I need 2 or 4 because its a 4wd car?

Any horror stories or nightmares that would be helpful for me to try and avoid? Also any hints as to how you know when you'll need them and when you know that its time to take them off?

Thanks guys,
Ben
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bensley, Buy them here. 4 wheel drive chains are about the same price as out there. Plus it's one less thing to think about. You only need chains on one axle check your handbook it should tell you which. (It's the one that the drive system gives the most power to.)
Consider buying a set of winter tyres which are cheaper over there but again may be easier to buy them and have them fitted over here. Check your tyres on the car you never know they may need replacing anyway.
(You will still need to have a set of chains on board.)

You need to put them on when everyone else stops to do so! ie. when you feel the car is losing grip a bit on the snow ice covered road. Take them off when there is more tarmac than snow.
Driving up to Val Thorens in an X trail the Police were stopping cars and telling them to put chains on. Seeing the X trail he simply waved us on and we drove straight on up and into the Oxylass underground car park Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 20-11-07 20:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bensley, I doubt if you'll need to bother. I've run a 4x4 here for the past eight years and never needed chains once.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, and you are very experienced with driving on snow and ice. A skill built up over the years and one that can't really be taught in the UK. So Ben you just might need to on occasion Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bensley wrote:
I'm going to have my Toyota Rav-4 there with me the whole season.

I'd never considered that Tignes has a demand for hairdressers, I bet there is better money to be made than ski instruction.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin wrote:
[b]
Driving up to Val Thorens in an X trail the Police were stopping cars and telling them to put chains on. Seeing the X trail he simply waved us on and we drove straight on up and into the Oxylass underground car park Very Happy

Chief of Police needed an emergency hair cut. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
bensley wrote:
I'm going to have my Toyota Rav-4 there with me the whole season.

I'd never considered that Tignes has a demand for hairdressers, I bet there is better money to be made than ski instruction.

HA HA! your so funny! It was cheap and I bought it off a member of my family so I know that its not been abused and poo-poo. I'm hoping its super reliable and practically indestructable like that Toyota Hi-Lux was on Top Gear.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stateing the obvious here but have a couple of practice goes at fitting them before you go, better than trying to work it out in a blizzard. Your hands get very cold very quickly. I would also avoid the cheaper end of the market, I had a set of Feu Vert specials fall appart on me a few years back. In 10 or so years driving to the mountains i've had to fit chains 3 times. All good fun though.

Given that they are matched to the wheel/tyre size Id get them in the UK incase you have any differences from whats fitted to a French sold Rav 4, plus when we bought ours the Feu Verts (French type of Halfords) etc got a set level of stock at the start of the season and wouldnt entertain a one off order so you had to get in early to make sure you got your size. Spent a few days driving around our area one year after I forgot to get them early in November.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy