Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teapot drill

Poster: A snowHead
Can someone explain how to do this in quite simple terms 'till I check that I'm doing it right?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
put one hand on the corresponding hip, hold you other arm out, bent like a spout.....bend from the hips, sideways, in the direction of the 'spout' arm....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guvnor, So "spout" pointing downhill and "handle" pointing uphill? So the bottom half is pointing in a different direction from the top half.
(you can see why I leave explainations to the experts)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just looked at the glossary of terms. I think I'm talking about hip angulation.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ickabodblue, do you mean this?

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you assume that the skis are across the opposite axis to the teapot there seems to be two ways of doing this (I am getting funny looks here) one keeps the soles of the feet (bases of the skis) flat on the floor/snow. However you can also do it rolling onto the edges of your feet/skis at the same time (rolling on to the same edge as would be the 'handle' side). I will also look at the glossary
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, Exactly, no words needed, Hurtle would be proud! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Same edge as the "spout". No?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ickabodblue, I don't know - standing here I can get onto either edge depending on how I do the bend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I think this is the blind leading the blind. Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum No, you can see. thought about it again and your right, it's the "handle" edge!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's easy to use the teapot inappropriately - it's for improving edge angles when carving high speed turns. If that's not want you want to do it's best to find another drill.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Always take the pot to the water Little Angel

Quote:
Make a perfect Brew

Use a good quality loose leaf or bagged tea

This must be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature

Always use freshly drawn boiling water

In order to draw the best flavour out of the tea the water must contain oxygen, this is reduced if the water is boiled more than once.

Measure the tea carefully

Use 1 tea bag or 1 rounded teaspoon of loose tea for each cup to be served

Allow the tea to brew for the recommended time before pouring
Brewing tea from a bag in a mug? milk in last is best

from www.tea.co.uk
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ickabodblue, Well that rob@rar, certainly told us didn't he wink still at least we had fun for a few minutes. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, The reason I ask is I was trying it on the dry slope today and it felt fab. Chest puffed out I thought I was the bees knees. BUT when I came off I felt slight discomfort in my knees (might even have been pain to a man wink ) I was aware that I had knees. Completely fine now.
ski holidays
ickabodblue, I'm surprised that its possible to feel the 'bees knees' whilst behaving like a tea-pot Laughing Laughing
snow report
rob@rar, not sure i agree, I see the teapot drill used a lot in plough turn exercises to introduce angulation and moving the CoM inside. helps students get the feel of the inner edge and can sometimes help leg flex.

Megamum, ickabodblue, i have updated the glossary, have a look, you are right to be confused on what to do with the "spout" hand, there is not one correct way and each method addresses different problems...
ski holidays
Megamum, I'm a contortionist Very Happy
latest report
That reminds me, must update my sig after a comment by a locally respected ski instructor on my teapot turns in L2A.. rolling eyes
snow report
rob@rar, i do agree in that it can be used/done incorrectly and i see a lot of instructors getting people to lean their shoulders towards the outside of the turn in an attempt to weight the outer ski. I hate that one as it just gets peeps out of balance....
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, not sure i agree, I see the teapot drill used a lot in plough turn exercises to introduce angulation and moving the CoM inside. helps students get the feel of the inner edge and can sometimes help leg flex.

Do you find that some (lots?) of people miss the point if using a teapot drill for low speed rotation type turns? On the few occasions I see skiers using it for that type of turn it seems to get them all out of shape, missing the point of using rotation to turn in a plough shape. The best use I've seen for teapot drills is the race clubs training in Tignes where they really flow from one arc to another with no rotation at all.
snow conditions
Jerry wrote:
That reminds me, must update my sig after a comment by a locally respected ski instructor on my teapot turns in L2A.. rolling eyes
Well get on with then.......................ya little puffta Laughing
latest report
ickabodblue, there are lots of variations on the teapot EXERCISE. Generally the hand on the hip should be placed flat on the hip on the outside of the turn. this is to help you not to twist the hip out during the turn. The other hand can be extended straight out in front in line with the skis, crossed over the body to point down the fall line, bent at the elbow, or not, and I've seen some do it with the free arm out to the side (inside) of the turn - I wouldn't advocate that one personally. Some of the race clubs do it the other way around with the hand on the inside hip .... for stability in the core .... There you are - a can of worms!! Often peeps feel good doing it because it doesn normally stop you rotating your hips and shoulders as you turn which makes the turn feel better and safer (but your sub-conscious wants you to fling your body round the corner). so long as you get the correct hand on the hip and change for each turn, I don't think you can do harm practising it.

rob@rar, Shocked Shocked rotation for sp turns - rubbish!!! Shocked Shocked
snow report
skimottaret,Have reread the glossary - schlopy that's what I was doing. The glossary is great by the way.
I didn't feel at all out of balance, I felt great, almost like an "ah ha" moment, there is just that little nagging worry about the slight ache in my knees afterwards. Though i must emphasise the "slight" bit.
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
rob@rar, Shocked Shocked rotation for sp turns - rubbish!!! Shocked Shocked

Feet are rotated into a plough? Once in a plough, feet are rotated in desired direction to steer?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Do you find that some (lots?) of people miss the point if using a teapot drill for low speed rotation type turns? On the few occasions I see skiers using it for that type of turn it seems to get them all out of shape, missing the point of using rotation to turn in a plough shape. The best use I've seen for teapot drills is the race clubs training in Tignes where they really flow from one arc to another with no rotation at all.

agreed not a good drill at the rotatry only plough turn stage and i wouldnt use it until the students are flexing the outer leg (stage 2 ploughs in BASI speak wink or stage 3 ploughs with actively flex and extend of the outside leg and achieving pressure on the outside ski
ski holidays
easiski, Thank you and I'm going to do just that in a couple of hours when I take the kids for their lesson. It's a hard old life Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
The other hand can be extended straight out in front in line with the skis, crossed over the body to point down the fall line, bent at the elbow, or not, and I've seen some do it with the free arm out to the side (inside) of the turn - I wouldn't advocate that one personally.

easiski - I agree the hand to the inside seems a bit odd but i think it can help if you are trying to get people to counter and keeping the shoulders square to the falline.

Im not to sure about the pointing arm crossing over the ski and down the fall line. when do you use that excercise?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, why teach them to rotate anything to start with. Pressure applied to the ski (only a tiddly bit required on short skis) and the skis do the turning. Once teach a beginner to twist anything and they'll have to unlearn. Foot rotation is very useful and can be taught later, after they've learnt to use what's on their feet! Of course this is NON BASI, and part of the Easiski stuff, not anyone else's. Laughing Laughing

skimottaret, Well, if they keep their arms straight out sideways from the shoulders then in an intermediate skier that would seem to promote rotation. (different for the race kids). Arm straight in front or corssed over obviously doesn't.

I forgot to say earlier that changing the way you put your hand on your hip can also change the way the exercise works! Shocked
ski holidays
easiski, yes I agree but as I'm about to start the BASI process I have no choice but to use their descriptions Wink
snow report
Quote:

why teach them to rotate anything to start with. Pressure applied to the ski (only a tiddly bit required on short skis) and the skis do the turning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this only works on the most gentle of slopes? Are you saying NO rotation at all?
snow conditions
in the snowdome the rotation only bit lasts about 3 short runs before you get into flex and pressuring, but does have its place IMO to get em going.
snow report
Yes, I agree that in a snowdome if you don't teach rotation they'd soon be hitting the walls and barriers.

But - even on a mountain - one of the most common issues you observe with new/early intermediate skiers is that they don't complete/finish their turns off, so they just end up gaining speed until they have to throw in a hockey stop because it got all too exciting. So I'm missing the link between teaching no rotation and getting skiers to complete their turns. Puzzled
snow conditions
veeeight, pressure (you hate that word don't you), knee and foot steering, correct body position (or more or less), the point is to start beginners with the idea that the ski turns them, they don't turn the ski. If they get the idea at the beginning that they should physically turn the ski (foot rotation) then it's hard to get out of this, and you're breeding a new bunch of heel pushers. Of course you have to build in new skills as you go along ... finishing the turn is one of my big bugbears - I'm a control freak and can't bear not to finish turns. I admit that it would be much harder with bigger groups than I normally work with ...rob@rar, that's the trouble. When I was a member of BASI and went on my last updating I suggested one of my moves which caused some interest! One of the ex BASI trainers actually couldn't do it, Shocked but Ali Ross and Stuart Adamson had no trouble! Very Happy

Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare - who won the race?
snow conditions
I'm having real difficulty with visualising this one. Is there a video of the exercise around at all? I'm very interested in the 'finishing the turn' concept. Would the teapot drill help with over-finishing it ie (sorry if this is poorly expressed) starting to ski uphill, because of the fear - yes, easiski, I do agree that that contributes hugely to staying on the intermediate plateau - of initiating the next turn and the fact that that will inevitably involve pointing straight downhill at some stage in the proceedings. I have to speak very strongly to myself to avoid doing this on steeper slopes (cue madwoman talking to herself on slope rolling eyes) and, if I can force myself to maintain a decent rhythm to the turns, I can usually keep skiing more or less downhill. But maybe teapot drill would help too??
snow conditions
easiski,
Quote:

start beginners with the idea that the ski turns them, they don't turn the ski

that is a good thought to place into the students mind. But (with head above parapit), when a first time skier asks "i dont get it, so just how do the skis turn me"? I would demonstrate with my hands that it is a combination of rotation, edging and lastly pressure. Rotation seems pretty fundamental , certainly when going from plough to plough parallel there can be an active rotary movement of the inner ski to match the outer.

I find for the first half of an hour lesson at least Rotation (point your toes in the direction you want to go) is a good place to start as "pressuring" the skis gets the kids leaning all over the place and "edging" invariably ends up with wobbly or knocking knees.

for rob@rar's benefit we were taught (quite strongly) that during initial plough turn exercises talking about "pressure" is a bad thing prefering instead to get the students to "flex" or "sink" and as easyski says let the skis do the turning. Only when they are actively flexing and extending should pressure come into play.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
when a first time skier asks "i dont get it, so just how do the skis turn me"? I would demonstrate with my hands that it is a combination of rotation, edging and lastly pressure. Rotation seems pretty fundamental , certainly when going from plough to plough parallel there can be an active rotary movement of the inner ski to match the outer.

That's why I don't think teapot drills are good for this type of turn. From what I've seen of it the teapot drill is about minimising leg rotation and maximising angulation to get better edge angles (with the 'spout' arm being used to stabilise the upper body).
ski holidays
rob@rar, i continue to agree that teapot isnt good at the rotary plough turn stage, the "double teapot" works when students are flexing. i tend to do it at plough parallel when trying to introduce angulation and more edging on the outer ski durging the turn.

to be honest your choice of drills get limited on an 80 metre slope with no poles wink so it comes in handy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 21-11-07 15:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
skimottaret, double teapot? Both hands on hips?
ski holidays
rob@rar, see glossary wink but yes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy