Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much instruction is too much?

Poster: A snowHead
Do trappist monks by being virtuous and quiet in quiet and virtuous surroundings but not testing themselves against temptation in the real world achieve anything?

Unless you are a racer - what is the maximum percentage of your time on the snow that you should -as an intermediate or advanced skier - spend in instruction?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When the cost starts to outweigh the benefit, so I suppose it depends on your wallet just as much as your capacity to improve Smile I think everyone, regardless of ability, could benefit from someone with a good eye taking a thorough look at all their skiing at least once a season, maybe for one or two private lessons. Beyond that I don't think there is an upper limit provided you work with an instructor who offers enjoyable lessons. I'd soon stop instruction if it started to feel like doing maths homework, but happily I've not yet reached that point/found that instructor.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(admits to thinking up maths homework to divert himself whilst swimming laps and attending group ski lessons/clinics Embarassed )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother, perhaps it depends on why you ski, what you want to get out of it, the type of person you are, etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think you can ever have too much of instruction/coaching, but of course this depends on where your motivation lies.

For the past 3 years, we have seen groups of skiers who have a lesson season passes with us, so every year they return, for 22 weeks worth of lessons (5 or 6 days out of 7).

Their improvement week upon week is amazing, they just get better and better, learn more and more, and yet we continue to challenge them - every day is different.

This, may, of course be OTT for many people, but it just goes to show that you can never stop improving with guided instruction and coaching.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight wrote:
... skiers who have a lesson season passes with us ...

Just out of interest, how much does that cost?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, Interesting - but what are they actually improving for if they don't test their skills away from instructors?

I have no particular answer to this myself - may be just looking at the thinking behind how people decide when they have done enough... for now...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Supergroups lessons passes for ski/snowboard (interchangable, so you can do both) are CAN$1600 for unlimited daily lessons (max of 3 in a class).

The Summit Session ski/snowboard group pass is considerably cheaper, CAN$700 for unlimited daily group lessons, but max of 8 in a class.

On the other hand, the WB Platinum Ski/Snowboard pass, with unlimited access to *all* group lessons, including multi-day lessons (eg: Dave Murray Camps) is a mere CAN$4,400.

Where do I sign you up? NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's the exchange rate with CAN$ at the moment? If you set up base in Les Arcs I'll be your first customer Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, at a particular jucture in their development, the teachine/coaching model changes. So at every level of their development, we are challenging them, but in different ways.

So for example, at an advanced/expert level, we are no longer talking about basic technique, more about terrain and line choice, improvisation, creative thinking, tactics etc. It's no longer a "follow me" type session, more like we put them into different scenarios and they have to work out the best way around that. So we're getting them to think for themselves and work out solutions, for what can be extremely difficult/dangerous scenarios.

But you're right, you always need time by yourself to consolidate, which is why we never reccommend 7/7 days per week of instruction/coaching. In the event they do turn up on day 7 though, it becomes more a guiding session (by mutual agreement) as they know that we always know the best spots on that particular day!

*Geeky note for interested instructors - the CSIA Skier Development Model was presented at Interski 2007, to much acclaim as to how a skier develops skills throughout their skiing life, and how the CSIA teaching model reflects this path.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 19-11-07 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What's the exchange rate with CAN$ at the moment?

Roughly CAN$2 to GBP1.

Excellent value for those earning GBP and spending CAN$ snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, I'd agree. IME, there's a cost/benefit curve - also a time cost/learning benefit curve - and a lesson/practice curve.

I reckon (in all humility of course wink ) I need a lesson or two, every couple of years to maintain standards. If I wanted to add something new (racing, helis, rails, park) I'd need (or want) more intensive work.

veeeight, How long does that go on for? Does there not get to be a point where organised, group lessons are not terribly productive? I would have imagined so?

But that's not answering the question. It's too much if you could progress faster with less lessons and more freeski time. How can you tell whether it's too much is clearly a harder and more important question.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 19-11-07 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight wrote:

*Geeky note for interested instructors - the CSIA Skier Development Model was presented at Interski 2007, to much acclaim as to how a skier develops skills throughout their skiing life, and how the CSIA teaching model reflects this path.

veeeight did either you or skidude post about that before? I seem to recall reading something on it but not quite sure.... I'm a bit drugged out so struggling to recall it...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight, that's a bargain. the financial model must either rely on most people not using it that much - or not paying instructors that much.... or both. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Does there not get to be a point where organised, group lessons are not terribly productive?

Which is why I don't teach groups larger than 3 wink
No, seriously, it all depends on the motivation of the individuals concerned. Plus the approach taken by the instructor.

LT I think I may have mentioned it in passing before now.

SB, not many people have the time nor the motivation to to improve on snow for 22 weeks of the year! But they exist, we are always busy.
snow report
Enough the first day at lunchtime to have watched the newbies 'Chin' the egg in their 'Carbonara' like a shot to know i was in the wrong group. Laughing
snow conditions
Having just had a look at the ski school prices for where we are off to in February, I think the kids have had enough ski school for the time being, Ouch!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, are you talking about snowheads? Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, You still got egg on your face?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Omlette Features, You still got egg on your face?

Maybe.
latest report
Even if money is no object, there's still the motivation & goal (or the lack of such?). I even don't see much point in perfection when it comes to skiing. For most, it's a leasure activity that doesn't have a set goal.

Some people are just content to cruise around the mountain. Tourist on ski, so to speak. I'm one of such, to some degree. Even though I do reserve a small percentage of my snow time for lesson on whatever improvement I find I'm in the mood for.

To be honest, I see little urgency in improvement at this point of my skiing. I can get down almost all of the piste in good control. Off-piste, I haven't encounter enough variety to get to know what care to but can not do. So, it's much higher priority to just ski more. As I explore more diversed terrain, I'm sure I'll be ready for more lesson at some later point.

I went through stages of my skiing like that. And I can see other skiers went through the same stages as I did. The free skiing is not just for "pratice" of lesson material either. It's time to gain experience and apply the skill learn to suit situations. I'd rather do such exploration and discovery on my own.
snow conditions
You need to have it in mind what you want to do and how to go about it. If you want off-piste lessons then ok, or you might find you have enough experience and skill and spend the money on a guide which can take you places an instructor can't. You might trade specific drills for conditions and terrain. You might find you get on well by adapting what you have and trying a few more things in a like-minded group.

You might just want to experiment.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
veeeight, Interesting - but what are they actually improving for if they don't test their skills away from instructors?

I have no particular answer to this myself - may be just looking at the thinking behind how people decide when they have done enough... for now...

Well as the prior owner of 2 platinum passes as spoken of by veeeight and occasional 7/7 skier (everyday Jan/early Feb 06!), I'd say the reasons for doing it are a few fold

-partly because you mix up your lessons a bit in my case Dave Murray Camps for technique and Extremely Canadian for Tactics (and loads of beer in Merlins)
-partly because you get continually pushed to do things that you'd otherwise not
-partly because it becomes worth going out to ski whatever the weather - possibly something that may sound bizarre if you are only there for a week - but if you're there for a season and it's p!ssing it down.... Skiing every imaginable condition really does make you a better skier
-partly because you get lift line priority - important on a busy Whistler Saturday
-partly because I like skiing with loads of different people throughout the year in terms of the participants, but often the same coach which gives you some continuity
-partly because even when you think you know the whole mountain(s) intimately, they'll find you somewhere new to go
-partly because to an extent it becomes like skiing with your mates -just ones that can _really_ ski.
-mainly because you have yet another excuse to drink a lot of beer!! wink

Also you tend to find that when you spend a lot of time being coached, the coach can spend more time either fine tuning rather than trying to get everything fixed in a few days and they can also get you to explore your own limits and be more creative - such as reckless leaps off a cat-track to see how far you can get and barrel rolls!! Shocked wink
ski holidays
I'm gonna sound like billy no mates here, which is not the case, honest. I've persuaded my hubby to take up skiing but he just isn't as fanatical as I am so I go to lessons to have someone to ski with Crying or Very sad
When I go away on girly trips with my friends I don't take lessons.
snow report
veeeight, *Geeky note for interested instructors - the CSIA Skier Development Model was presented at Interski 2007, to much acclaim as to how a skier develops skills throughout their skiing life, and how the CSIA teaching model reflects this path.

any links to the presentation for us geeks?
snow report
ickabodblue, (and stuarth) sounds like you're paying for lessons when you really want are some like-minded mates (of similar ability) to ski (and have fun afterward) with!

I go to snowhead bash and Epic gatherings. Smile Smile Smile
snow report
stoatsbrother, I think the question is equally valid for a learner. I think a learner could have too much instruction. My kids have 2 hours a day for 4 days running then on the 5th day have their race. I have an hour an day 4 days running. 2 hrs a day keeps the kids occupied, but I don't think they would stand much longer, and with 1:1 instruction I think an hour is enough. I feel that time to practice what you have learned is just as important. In terms of how long to keep up this level I would think until I'm comfortable down most black runs probably.
snow conditions
I've a terminator outlook to having lessons - I absolutely will not stop.

Megamum I bet you don't. You'll do blacks with ease and then look whistfully at the piste side powder and bumps thinking, "Now I want to do that!"

Sorry, but it just seems to work that way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

any links to the presentation for us geeks

I'll have a root around.
snow conditions
Give up taking lessons when you want to give up learning! As an instructor my resort requires I attend a certain number of training clinics per season, and the professional organization requires that I attend a certain number of Educational Events every two years. There's always something different to learn.
snow report
abc which wuns? You gonna be in OOOTAH Feb 1-4? 'f'so, gmme a shout backchannel, otherwise please ignore.

Mosha Marc wrote:
I've a terminator outlook to having lessons - I absolutely will not stop..

Madeye-Smiley I don't subscribe to the philosophy but I do respect it. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I bet lots of us do other sports than skiing.
It might be interesting to look at which of those sports we keep up instruction. And why.

I started instruction when I took up squash again after a 20 year gap.
I continued instruction for two reasons. Lessons made the game more enjoyable. And other players were taking lessons: I wanted keep up with them.
I think I take skiing lessons for the same reasons snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy