Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone suffer from sore shins in ski boots? Help is at hand!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am looking for some feedback on a new product that helps protect skiers' shins from bruising and soreness. As I am sure a few of you are now in possession of lovely new ski boots you may be feeling that a bit of extra protection may not go amiss. For the first 5 people to contact me I will provide a FREE! sample for you to try. The 'Shin Shield' is made of podiatry foam PORON which absorbs shock and returns to its original shape so protects the area that it is covering, in this case the shin. If there are those of you who feel enough is enough and you need some shin comfort then I will provide the shields at a Snowheads discount of 25% off the £10.99 RRP + 2.00 p&p. I can be contacted on office@radical-sports.co.uk. Thanks for your help.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, I've mailed him!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A friend swears by these Ski Angels, which are gel pads (hence the gel in angel) - I've got some, but haven't used them yet. I tend to wear through the skin on my shins rather than suffer from bruising, so they look the business

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 19-11-07 17:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi, Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This problem is a symptom, better atacking the root cause than accomodating the symptom. Flex issues can be better addressed by a Physio.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooh! Product v's Expertise - seconds out! Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, Well, I've won a freebie so Shocked Shocked Shocked to you wink .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd 2nd what smallzookeeper said.

I used to get sore shins from what I thought was a properly fitted boot. When I got a "real" properly fitted boot, with the flex points at the right point for my feet/ankles etc voila, no more problems!

regards,

Greg

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 19-11-07 17:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Radical Freeride wrote:
Hi I am looking for some feedback on a new product that helps protect skiers' shins from bruising and soreness. As I am sure a few of you are now in possession of lovely new ski boots you may be feeling that a bit of extra protection may not go amiss.

I'm anything but an expert, totally the opposite .... but the concept of a buffer between boot and leg smacks of badly-sold/fitting boots / totally inappropriate etc.

i.e throwing good money after bad ....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, .... so no putting them on the chair-lifts to reduce the 'pain' then ... wink I look forward to your 'critique' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, "You goin' down, chump, you goin' down." Quote APOLLOZOOKEEPER, Rooky II. Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, I haven't got a problem! But every holiday at least one person in the chalet complains and then has to borrow plasters (or ladies' panty liners Shocked ) so I know it's a common problem. I will then be able to show them what to buy in the future. OK?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi wrote:
Agenterre, every holiday at least one person in the chalet complains and then has to borrow..... ladies' panty liners ...so I know it's a common problem. I will then be able to show them what to buy in the future. OK?

I knew I shouldn't have gone there rolling eyes ... so you going to 'rebrand' the unmentionables and flog them as ski accessories Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, The problem stems from the Anterior Tibialis (Tendon on your shin) firing too early and is often caused by a lack of flexion in the Achillies Tendon, when the person flexes to apply presure to the tip of the ski, they are given the impression they will fall forward, so the AT tendon fires. This is better remedied by exercise, but once sore, compeed is the best product to relieve the discomfort, Epitat works well also, but you idea of getting some to help someone out of a sore spot is really nice. Good for you. If i'm sober on holiday will you have a bottle of Scotch in your bag? Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You've got it in one. Good fitting boots are the key, sadly when you rent a pair of tired, worn out old boots dusted off from the back store room then sometimes there are few options than to protect the area suffering. Maggi's right loads of people suffer and Shin Shields are far better that panty liners!
snow conditions
Radical Freeride, You wouldn't be distributing 'Foam Pad' kits for ski boot liners too would you?
snow report
Radical Freeride, Aarrghh, even this 'numpty' has now got it.

So..... I ( or anyone) plans to go on a ski holiday. I know my ability is poor , I know my ski boots are/will be ill-fitting - so I need to buy these things ? rolling eyes At least Maggi gets to pack less panty liners wink

The Den's door is over there Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Even with excellently fitted boots some people find it more comfortable to put a thin piece of neoprene as a shin pad inside yr sock...there was a product called bigair shin protector..it is a thin pc of neoprene..maybe only 2 mm and it compresses easily..if your shin is quite bony it is more comfortable. You can buy a whole sheet 1mtr by 1.2 mtr for approx 15 quid and then cut it to size.
ski holidays
geoffers, Mrs Gordyjh has some and they are useless as they just roll up under her longjohns instead of sticking to her shin.
ski holidays
Hey guy's Krunchie63 is suggesting a sheet of neoprene for £15 but there are still 4 unclaimed FREE shin shields to be had!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Well, as I don't tend to have a supply of panties liners to hand, I've PMed too; with my lack of ability they may come in useful at some stage in the season.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
My old boots, bought in the mid 90s (when stiff boots were stiff ), used to strip the skin off my shins. The best thing to do was shave the hair off before skiing - less friction wink

New ones are a bit more flexi, don't seem to have the same problem.
ski holidays
I've just added my old footie shin pads to my fire sale here..offers..?
ski holidays
Although I suggested the sheet of neoprene it can be hard to find the right material....I am going to test the new product anyway...how do I claim it ? If I like it will you give me a promo patch for my uniform ?
snow report
Thanks to all those who took up the free offer, I look forward to the response! Or possibly an assassination! Depending on your feedback I may repeat the freebie offer again. If you would like info:

http://www.sandownactivesports.com/shop.php/accessories/shin-shield-extra-shin-comfort/p_521.html
snow conditions
Radical Freeride wrote:
Hey guy's Krunchie63 is suggesting a sheet of neoprene for £15 but there are still 4 unclaimed FREE shin shields to be had!!!!!!!!!!

can they double up as panty liners?
ski holidays
jbob, Don't fancy your success if you try this!
snow conditions
Radical Freeride, i would be interested to know what grade of poron this product is made from, thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Shin shield uses Poron 2000, it was produced from this as a result of direct consultation with podiatrists who suggested this as a suitable material to do the job of protecting the shin. With active test using professional skiers (ie ski instrustors) the Poron has been effective in protection as well as very durable as compared to other materials.
ski holidays
Radical Freeride, just wondered why you did not use Poron 6000 slow memory as this would help with moulding to the shin area also
latest report
CEM, The Poron used was a good balance between realistically priced product and performance, I would be interested in your view if you think Poron 6000 would be more beneficial.
ski holidays
Radical Freeride wrote:
CEM, The Poron used was a good balance between realistically priced product and performance, I would be interested in your view if you think Poron 6000 would be more beneficial.

How thick are these pads ? I think you will do well with them. There are plenty of skiers who complain of sore shins even with "professionally fitted" boots but they just haven't got the time to sort them out or just can't spend enough time skiing to get used to it and these sound perfect. In the middle of the season some years ago I walked into a sharp object and dented my shin and without protedtion it was too sensitive to ski on.
snow conditions
krunchie63, They are about 5mm thick this seems to work being not too bulky yet doing the job.
snow conditions
Radical Freeride, the salmon pink poron 6000 is available in the same thicknesses as the 2000 the cost is slightly more but not enough [i would think] to make it prohibative. the slow memory just absorbs lumps and bumps better and will not rebound quite as quickly as the P2000 meaning that it would stay in shape better when pressure is released from the front of the shin at the end of the turn

jusrt thinking out loud Very Happy
ski holidays
Lost this thread in all the others but as promised, Radical Freeride sent the Shields promptly and they look good. Not tested yet though, so that's all I can say for now rolling eyes .
latest report
Feedback...I was sent a free pair

I took the shin protectors with me over new year and they proved to be a very useful addition to my ski bag.. I didn't use them but one of our party (a beginner - not that that matters) hired some boots and on day one a bruised her shin. Probably either ill-fitting boots, or oldish boots with packed liners..

She was moaning about how her shins hurt so I gave her the protectors and she said they worked very well and it literally saved her from not being able to ski..

So thanks are due to Radical Freeride

I have nothing to do with the company..
snow conditions
Thanks to cfc5mu0, who has given feedback on the freebie shin shields, I sent out a few pairs so if anyone else has given them a go yet I would love hear the response!
latest report
I have skiied a few times now and have always hired my boots. I always had trouble with them and recently I think i discovered the reason why. I am a size 6 (UK) foot but I have the same around the shin measurement as my partner who is a) male and b) size 11. Maybe it's because i have always done lots of sports. So now i think i know why my boots feel as though they are too tight around my leg. Question: I'm not ready to buy yet because i only go a weekend every year and this year may be the last time i go. If i can find hire boots that are comfortable (or can be recommended boots to buy from others who have this problem) i might allow my partner to persuade me to go again. Has anyone else had this problem? Crying or Very sad
latest report
skis4others, are you male or female? Female specific boots are designed for people with fatter (read "more muscular") calves. Might be worth trying to hire or buy female specific ones.

Radical Freeride, my daughter, who has skied for many years, and always tended to have shin problems, will be trying the pads at half term. I'll certainly feedback on how well she gets on. She thought they looked very promising.
ski holidays
Pam_W, I'm female. Are most hire boots male boots then? My trouble is we ski in Austria and I don't speak a word of German so it all gets down through translation! Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy