Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania...last year...when the snow was pants

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am looking at potentially booking a chalet in La Tania for w/c 12th Jan, and am obviously slightly concerned about the snow. I realise last year was particularly poor, and I was just wondering if anyone had been there to experience it! In the worst case scenario, is it still possible to ski around the 3 Valleys purely on artificial snow? I did read somewhere that you can get round to Coucheval, but that's in the same valley.

Sorry for being a pesimist!! Obviously I'd love to not have to rely on the snow machines!! Fingers crossed!!

Nick. Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well there is already more snow there than this time last year, and read this link, and check the pics of the snow on the home page:

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2007/SNOW/EndOfSeasonReport.html

Courchevel opened 10th December, 1 day later than planned but awesome untracked powder everywhere and that day we skied all the way home to La Tania (not officially opened until 16th) and continued to do so until the 22nd April.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skied la tania in March last year. No problems skiing in and out on nice artificial run. Snow took a while to get going last year, but no problems thereafter i think
can recommend la tania as low-key spot that is a good base for the 3 valleys. Also really liked the blacks\reds above la tania itself that i reckon lot of people miss.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wns198, We are going to LT on 26/1 so keeping an eye on things too. skiiing was fine last season and they have had good falls so far now - I'm really not worried but then I am blindly optimistic! Snowfalls so far all over the Alps would suggest my optimism is not unfounded! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wns198 wrote:
Hi there, I am looking at potentially booking a chalet in La Tania for w/c 12th Jan, and am obviously slightly concerned about the snow. I realise last year was particularly poor, and I was just wondering if anyone had been there to experience it! In the worst case scenario, is it still possible to ski around the 3 Valleys purely on artificial snow? I did read somewhere that you can get round to Coucheval, but that's in the same valley. Sorry for being a pesimist!! Obviously I'd love to not have to rely on the snow machines!! Fingers crossed!! Nick. Laughing

I was there in Jan 2007, experience was warm and wet or cold and dry. Lower resorts were badly affected. First real snow for weeks arrived on 24th \25th Jan.
Resorts in the all of the 3V's below 1800m suffered. I was in VT for three days, pretty icy in places, then arrived in LaTania on 17th to rain and very mild temps. You 'get to' all of the 3V's even mid Jan 2007, but getting 'back to' or 'in to' a lower level resort was interesting. Ice, slush and rocks at times. Same issues in all the other valleys,St Martin de Belleville was in a similar situation, where resort level conditions were very poor.The excellent snow cannon coverage and early season base build had made a real difference when it got cold enough. Though I experienced +8c temps on several days that week and the next. BTW, also rain,

and lots of beer! wink
View accross the valley, snow line well over 2000m.

Smile On the plus side, it never stopped people ski-ing, remember some resorts of similar height or lower were reportly closed. Well protected piste(tree lined) and snow cannons helped, although the Moretta Blanche was closed and un-skiable, the main Folyeres run was open.

In 3 trips over three years:-
year 1 2nd week Jan - lots of snow,
year 2 2nd\ 3rd week Jan, reasonable start, then lots of snow,
year 3 2nd \3rd week Jan, very poor start, but then lots of snow.....
In the last 3 years I was never in a situation where I couldnt ski down to 1400m in LT, or accross to any of the other valleys, but there were days when it was rather bare. This year I'm going to VT in Jan 2007 week3 then on to CV 1850 in week4\Feb week1.
I'm sure you wont be dissapointed! 9 weeks to go for me, not that i'm counting! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Val Thorens just opened a week ahead of schedule. They have plenty of snow and the cannons are blasting fullbore. There will be plenty of runs opens by mid-Jan.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow!!

Thank you for all your responses...that's a great help! It sounds like at the very worst there'd be some artificial snow to play on (allbeit slightly patchy lower down). Any rain's just an annoyance, and you've always got the odd beer or two to fall back on!
NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went skiing last New Year. Blue run back to La Tania did get icy by the end of the day, but you could get the gondala back down or try the green. However, despite the reports, I thought there was plenty of snow. Had a great time. Going to Les Menuires this New Year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wns198, I started up this thread to keep anyone interested a bit up to date. We're out there from the 5th Jan for a week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wns198, we've been in the 3Vs sometime between Christmas and NY for the past 5 years and as far as I remember we've always skied down to LT at least once and had no problem getting to all 4 valleys.

The links between valleys are an important attraction and as such they seem to do a good job of keeping at least some of them open. Also with no links open they wont sell any high value 3Vs lift passes!!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Johnseymour - we too were in La Tania last year and can echo your comments though the day we had rain was a bit of a downer. Sad We are also off to Les Menuires this season via a week in Les Arcs Toofy Grin drop me a line and we'll co-ordinate a beer or two if our weeks co-incide!! NehNeh

Snow looks good can't kep myself from looking at the web cams!

bring it on!! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sagedog, welcome to snowHeads Cool snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi

I was in Les Menuires the third week in Jan last year. Snow was not great but still enough to move about the 3v quite happily. VT was very busy with people trying to get high up to better snow. Had no issues with skiing back to LM every day although it was slushy / icy towards the bottom. Had a decent snowfall midweek which transformed things. I'm sure with the decent snowfall of the last week now lying on the very frozen ground combined with the cannons will see the conditions of last year mathed but hopefully very much bettered !

Regards
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sagedog, only my first post and I get the offer of meeting up for a beer! This is my sort of forum! Will pm you this evening.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes there over new year 30th to 6th..I'll be too busy skiing or drinking to post a snow report...

I can't manage mobile internet too stupid or old.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy