Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

London City Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Any snowHead flown from here?
Whats it like?
I was just looking at a Geneva flights and a return with Air France going out on Easter Monday is £93 which I though was good?
Any comments, how do you get from tube to airport or does it go straight into the terminal?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've flown from there once but only to Dundee. The Dockland Light Railway goes all the way there from what I can remember. Nice little airport with a decent terminal too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Linds, excellent little airport, no crowds, good quality surroundings, not much in the way of shopping, but you aren't there long enough anyway. Don;t know where tube (or DLR) end ups - last time I went was by bus.

go for it!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Used it 2-3 times. Very handy little airport.

Last time I used it, had to get bus to canary wharf for DLR, but DLR now goes directly to the airport (presumably a direct train to Tower Hill/Tower Gateway?).
Handy for people in North Kent too, since DLR also goes under river to Lewisham (probably have to change).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds, "The station is situated 50 yards from the Airport Terminal and journey times are as follows:

Bank - 22 minutes
Canning Town - 8 minutes
Canary Wharf - 18 mintues (change onto the Jubilee Line at Canning Town)"

from the airport website.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Linds, the DLR goes direct with change from Jubilee line at Canning Town. It's a business airport primarily which means everyone knows what they're doing & it's very efficient. The Air France (Cityjet) service is very good and as you've seen it's cheap. We've used it a few times. It also takes you into the Swiss sector at Geneva which helps.

The restaurant isn't cheap though...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brilliant airport and if you book far in advance very good value to GVA, easy rail links but parking is steep though
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We use it all the time, I can't recommend it too highly.

22 mins from Bank is a bit optimistic though. It normally takes 30, best to allow 45 mins. The DLR goes pretty much right into the terminal. Don't forget to sort out your oyster card before you get there to avoid messing about in queues.

The best bit is that it's tiny and efficient, so on the way back you are generally back on the DLR within 15/20 minutes of getting off the plane, even if you have skis/boards to collect. Air France only just started flying from there and seem to have good prices.

Extra bonus if that if they come in to land from the west, which they do sometimes, you get an eye-popping flypast of the Gherkin and Tower Bridge.

FYI East London to Chamonix is about 5 hours door to door going via City Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 18-11-07 19:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Linds, London City Airport.
Location looks interesting Shocked

One of these planes might be useful if happened to overshoot the runway.
Or maybe just consider it an automatic fire extinguishing faciltity Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, I had better look out my water wings then rolling eyes

Thanks snowHead for all the info.
Has anybody flown Swiss International Airlines? Looking at the website and baggage details it looks like 1st pair of skis goes free? Any body any experience of this? This would make this a cheaper option for me taking skis Very Happy Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was thinking about going from there for a couple of days in december, as it was only £78 return & included free ski carriage. However, the reason I didn't was £55 to park for 2 days!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Linds, anytime I've flown my skis went with me for "free" - no experience of the CityJet/AF conditions...Swiss seemed happy to accept them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks David Murdoch,
ssnowman, I can get free parking in London and have the Oyster card at the ready Very Happy Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..and you can tie up your speedboat nearby Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its rubbish, Chuffin miles away.
snow conditions
Linds, .... see if the Altibus times are conveneint for Bourg St. Maurice.

It is a long bus journey ....
ski holidays
Linds,
Quote:

Has anybody flown Swiss International Airlines? Looking at the website and baggage details it looks like 1st pair of skis goes free? Any body any experience of this? This would make this a cheaper option for me taking skis

Yes, indeed that's true. Swiss via London City is just the BEST way of travelling by air from London, if you can. Such a hassle-free little airport, I love it.
ski holidays
I only travel from LCY or LHR, when I'm booking. Sadly, I'm not allowed to book that often.

Yes to Swiss and Yes to LCY, both are fantastic. No package flights makes for a very pleasant experience.
snow report
Great. I've flied Swiss Air - fastest check in out of all London airports and shortest distance to oversized baggae for my ski's. Crap food hall though!
ski holidays
a big thumbs up from me for london city airport and swiss. I've used them for the last few years. GBP150 all in including snowboard for a 17.30 flight out on thursday and a 18.30 or 20.30 flight back monday night. Easy walk to the DLR switch at canning town to Jubilee and I'm back home in Essex within an hour of getting my bagage.
snow conditions
I've used London City to get to France. Lovely airport and 15 minute check in (i.e you can get there 15 minutes before check in closes!!) Avoid Friday evenings if you can though as the flights tend to get delayed and the tiny lounge gets quite busy. Apparently the airport is now at full capacity.
latest report
Many thanks to you all for your comments , I have just booked the flights Laughing

angelaclark, Swiss International say 1/2hrs check-in but with skis I will allow a bit longer.
I am travelling Monday-Monday so I imagin it will be mainly buisness users at that time
snow conditions
I wouldn't cut it too fine for an evening flight. It'll be full of business people with flexible tickets and you may find the flight over-booked. I have had a couple of close shaves with this
snow report
Arno wrote:
I wouldn't cut it too fine for an evening flight. It'll be full of business people with flexible tickets and you may find the flight over-booked. I have had a couple of close shaves with this

But on the flip side, everyone in the security line is an experienced traveller who's been there and will be happy to let you jump the queue.

I once arrived at 19:10 for a 19:20 flight. And made it. Not recommended. But it shows what can be done!
snow report
Out at 9am back at 4pm so reasonable flights both ways
snow conditions
Linds, .. = .. Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
Linds, Great airport LCY, used to fly to and from Zurich on Swiss, when you check in, if you want a quiet drink/coffee wink Go up the escalator to departures
but don't go through, looked to the right and there is a cafe/bar there, not many people use it, as there is one downstairs, and one through security.

There is a Bally shop through security, so if you need some ridiculously expensive shoes wink You can buy one!!!

One problem I had at LCY was the weather, they allow propeller planes and private jets to take off, but no Commercial Jets, as they compete with the other airports
for air traffic slots in bad weather. So we were told!!!!
So sometimes the airport gets very busy, and in the departure area there are not many seats. If this happens don't go through security and stay in the cafe wink

Flying back with bad weather in the UK LCY will be the first to shutdown out of the London Airports (again due to safetly).
I got diverted to LHR ;-(( But saying that out of the 30 or so flights I have only been delayed and diverted twice.

Enjoy................
ski holidays
blytht, good point on the diversions, We got diverted once to stansted and then bused to City. ( i actually live closer to stansted than City so it was 'amusing' drinvg by home to get back to City to collect my car)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy