Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The best route when driving to Bormio, Italy in the Winter ????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Whats the best route when driving to Bormio, Italy in the Winter ????
Is it all mountain roads etc.

skiqueen2
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where might you be driving from skiqueen2? hard to give you info unless we know where you are coming from!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiqueen2, the starting point would be good! snowHead but if you go to www.rac.co.uk you'll find a good route planner. I have been through Bormio on way to Livigno from Bergamo but it was on a bus so not paying that much attention but I think the roads only get really windy after Bormio. I'm sure others here will give you more detail.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiqueen2, Have been to Bormio many times, but always by taxibus from either Milan or Bergamo. The route they take is always the one that passes Lake Como on your left (the SS36 by the look of it). Main roads all the way - it just gets a bit boring when you enter the valley that leads to Bormio, it goes on forever.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skiqueen2,

You will certainly need local knowledge as which ever way you get to it, the road is likely to be an issue.

Just a quick look on the map points to via Zurich and the Munta la Schera tunnel but that still means you have get through Livigno and if you go round that you have get over the Passo dello Stelvio.

I can't see the St Bernardino or St Gotthard (via Central Switzerland ) being any use as they take you too far south...

You might do well to go via the Brenner which means going thru Munich..or you could go via Mont Blanc and through to Milan and up. You are likely to make fast time to Italy and then you will lose it as you have a long climb through the foothills.

You might do ok to get to Landeck from Zurich, head south to Naunders and then on to the Passo del Stelvio
but it looks like you will have to cross a 1500m pass or two which ever way you go. This will be ok in good weather but you'll need a pretty good winter car, I'd say.

The only hope I can give you is that there might be better roads now as my map is out of date by a good few years.

Start with the RAC link above, I'd say
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://maps.google.co.uk and a TomTom GO 700 for £50 from eBay. Took us to Italy and back (via the lovely German town of "W*nk") last year with no troubles.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skiqueen2, I'm going through there on my way from Milan in January, up the ss42 to Tirano then Bormio then the Foscagano pass to Livigno where it gets interesting. I could get the bus but where is the fun in that Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All
Many thanks for the replies..
We were hoping to drive from Calais via Germany and the borders of Austria and Switzerland but I think that was the route that Top Gear showed a few weeks back - the road looked worse than the 29 bends up to Alpe De Huez - ok in summer but horrific in Feb...
keep the ideas coming please...

skiqueen2
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you wont be able to go over the stelvio pass (top gear) the davos to bormio road. In May it was the giro italia (italian bike race) and up the pass it was snowing. So you definatly wont be able to climb it, as it will be shut. It is at 2700m and the alpe d'huez climb is much lower down so it is easier to kept open.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy