Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, Think Geri is right though. Peisey must be quieter this season as the Vanoise is shut. Talking to Cyril in La Ferme in Montchavin he loves the Vanoise beign shut. His lunch trade has been huge this year as people ski on down to Montchavin instead of hopping on the Vanoise to Les Arcs.

Obvioulsy those on La Plagne side want to experience fast lifts, hence more travel form La Plagne to Les Arcs than the other way round Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:
But surely they all go back at the end of the day?

Nah, they take one look at the 'other side' and stay on for the trip back to La Plagne Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

people ski on down to Montchavin

You need a decent meal/rest when you have achieved that Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin wrote:
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

people ski on down to Montchavin

You need a decent meal/rest when you have achieved that Toofy Grin

Dos Rond then Pierre Blanche to Montchavin amongst the trees, best run in La Plagne. With the added bonus next week of rain today freezing over and fresh snow on top Monday. Tuesday making it treacherous. Can't wait. Genuinely Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller wrote:
geri, Frosty the Snowman, Embarassing but I have the figures to hand... Embarassed Embarassed

Quote:
2006/07 in figures

• 420 000 skiers took the Vanoise Express in 2006/2007.
• A 0, 3% increase on winter 2005/2006.
• 46,1% of skiers coming from les Arcs.
• 53, 9% of skiers coming from la Plagne.
• The 6 day Paradiski unlimited skipass is the one most favoured by clients.
• The daily skipass only accounts for a minimal portion of passes bought.

Er? That means nothing.

Surely all people go both ways, Hence the near 50/50

Tux
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tuxpoo, They know from electronic passes who bought theirs on La Plagne side and Les Arc side so they can tell how many from each side travel to the other. Its fairly simple Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another wet day with some snow high up and raining in lower areas. Did not stay up very long as it was wet. Should be good tomorrow with fresh snow to play in, I hope!!

sniegagalva, when you come out are you interested in meeting up for a few beers with other SH in resort. I might know someone that would be interested in renting you a parking place. PM me if you are interested in either idea.

thefatcontroller, interesting facts about the VE. Just about what I would have expected. Hope it really does start working again next season. It has been missed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Freshtracksamundo!

Jane didn't fancy the visibility or the snow this morning so I gave the Karmas a run through the trees above Vallandry, 1800 and 1600. Snow was a bit humid but an awesome morning spolied only by a hacking cough and two rather close encounters with trees. It was a battle between snow quality and visibility this morning: too high and it was a bit of a whiteout, too low and the snow was too heavy even though you could see where you were going.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 12-04-08 12:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, grrrr! That's all i need to see on a Saturday morning when I've only got the gardening o look forward to ! Toofy Grin

Where were the photos taken?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richie_S, all taken above Arc 1800.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, great pics - and the verdict on the Karmas?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Nicholas wrote:
and the verdict on the Karmas?

I like them off-piste. They are the widest skis I own, so more float than I'm used to, and they did well with the heavy, humid snow at lower altitudes today. They are also fairly light, so easy to get around (on and off my feet). On piste they are not so good, which isn't really a criticism of a 90mm wide ski. I can't carve short radius turns with them, and they aren't so good at speed because they feel a bit "twisty" underfoot. For an off-piste oriented day like today it was the right choice, but for a more in-piste day other skis would do better.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Everyone....

Sat in the Mont Blanc @ Vallandry - 10 past 7, the difference between staying in as hostel (where I've stayed before at les Arcs). ouside the resort as opposed to staying in the 'middle' is unbelievable - Hostels are fine, if you are really seriously skint and are on your own. Apartment, though, is absolutely great, quite small, but would sleep 2 + friend + 2 kids in a bunk at a push. 2 -3 would be more comfortable though. There is one double, bed setee and two 'kid's bunks - similar to hostel bunks ) 'Kitchen, small but fine - complete with a sharp knife! Dishwasher won't be used much though. And....theres a bath, if you like baths.

Got a few hours on the hill today, roads very quiet, made Lyon Airport to Vallandry in quite a bit less than two hours. Didn't get much above the Derby though, will venture out a bit further afield tomorrow. Pistes into the resorts are bad though. Slushy at best - grass and rocks at worst - I thinks Moray may be closed toworrow. Still, further up think are OK.

Anyone else over here at the mo?
BH! it's 20 past 8. ... Stella's taken her toll again!

Allan

http://www.19x.co.uk/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everyone
Know what you mean Rob - vis was ghastly high up. Managed to fall - lose a pole - and pull a muscle in my arm - ouch! Skied like a week 1 beginner today. So depressing!!
... But the lenght of the Derby the snow was really nice.
If you and Jane are down my way at all call in for a beer... or if Jane fancies a ski.
Steve's out Thurs eve for the weekend... on my own at the moment.

Allanm there is a crowd meeting Snowcrazy tomorrow am - not sure what we are doing - (or if I will make it!) pm him for details.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just got back from La Rosiere, whilst you had clouds we had sun, yes sun on the Italian side and even a bit of fresh snow, not real powder but still fun. Tomorrow anyone interested join us at the Chantel lift 9.30am in 1800. If the weather is better we will be doing some off piste so bring your safety kit if you have any. rob@rar, did not know you were out, hope you can make it tomorrow for a ski.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, would like to join you but I have a lesson in the morning then will be skiing with my girlfriend who likes to cruise the blues and reds. Will be sorry to miss the fun you'll have!

jayne durham, we're probably going to pop down to Bourg either Sunday or Monday early evening. I'll phone you at your apartment.
latest report
What an incredibly wonderful day for the middle of April. Brilliant snow on-piste, especially above 1,900m or so where it remained squeaky and grippy all day. Off-piste was relatively light, mostly cut up where I skied, but I bumped into [b]snowcrazy[i] at the end of the day who said he'd had some wonderful stuff off the Aiguille Rouge. Spent most of the morning in a bumps lesson, mostly skiing smallish, soft bumps (not terribly well). All this under a wonderful blue sky and warm temperatures. I kept thinking how lucky I was to have snow conditions like this at this time of year.

And there's more snow forecast in the next 24 hours, perhaps as much as 30cm. Amazing Smile Smile
snow report
To round off an incredible day for weather, it's just started to snow lightly Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, Cool should be with me in Belle Plagne soon. Sun still shining here @ 18.42 French time Cool
latest report
thefatcontroller, it was just a passing shower, now sunny again.
latest report
The snow today was great. Managed to do some of the routes we have been looking at all season and waiting for the right conditions. Even managed to find some untracked light powder, with blue sky and no wind. One of the guys had a head cam so that should be interesting to watch later, or not!!

rob@rar, it was good to meet up again for a chat, hope you have another good day tomorrow. Don't forget to try the waterslide before you leave, we will be there again tomorrow about 4pm for some free entertainment. I think you should do it on your slalom skis. Now that would be very impressive Laughing

Just looked outside and the clouds are starting to form, maybe the snow really i coming tonight rolling eyes
snow report
snowcrazy, Forgot to say: Nice to meet you in La Rosiere. Shame there was no opportunity for a few scoops snowHead
latest report
It's been snowing hard for a couple of hours now, improving already excellent end-of-season conditions. I'm hoping it will clear up this afternoon for a final blast before we head for home tomorrow.

snowcrazy, I'll do it on my slalom skis only if you let me ski switch as well Wink
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
geri, Frosty the Snowman, Embarassing but I have the figures to hand... Embarassed Embarassed

Quote:
2006/07 in figures

• 420 000 skiers took the Vanoise Express in 2006/2007.
• A 0, 3% increase on winter 2005/2006.
• 46,1% of skiers coming from les Arcs.
• 53, 9% of skiers coming from la Plagne.
• The 6 day Paradiski unlimited skipass is the one most favoured by clients.
• The daily skipass only accounts for a minimal portion of passes bought.

Just re-read my own post and I meant to say Embarassed that my TO said that 2 skiers travel from LP to LA for every one the other way, ergo LA shloud be less crowded with the Vanoise Express closed. However, TFC deserves an anorak (end of season sale) for digging up this to disprove what my TO told me (another urban myth from the tourist industry).

Btw for the above stats to mean anything, wouldn't the 46.1% need to be the no of day trips that go LA to LP followed by LP to LA, with the 53.9% being LP to LA to LP. Then it makes sense. I suppose that to know if it makes any appreciable difference to the resorts as a whole you'd want to know what this represents as a proportion of all skiers in each resort separately. Plus how many lifts per day the day trippers do compared to the non day trippers. Plus you need to consider a "propensity-to-ski- in-trees-when- light-is- flat" factor and of course a snow quality index. The easiest way might be to set up a couple of those vehicle census strips across the piste and have someone (TFC?) in a yellow cagoule with a clipboard. wink

Meanwhile I'll shut up except to wish all of you still there a fantastic end to the season snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
What a day, after blue sky yesterday, the rain, snow and cloud has came back. New snow was falling high up but lower in resorts it was wet snow and poor vis most of the day. It is now closed in again and look's like it is here for the night. let's hope the weather get's better tomorrow.
snow conditions
A bit more snow overnight, and it's snowing again this morning although not too heavily. Did somebody kidnap Spring?
snow report
rob@rar, It's spring here Toofy Grin Everything in the garden is growing like mad Confused
snow report
Brilliant Day in April.

Perhaps marred by some fog which may put some people off, I was on the Vagere lift at 11AM or so, couldn't see the chair in front, the run down to the Arpette was more or less blind - couldn't see one piste poll, never mind two! However I'd made my mind up I was going to try higher, so went for it. Up the Arpette, into an endless oblivion of fog! Paid off though, don't know if it cleared everywhere, but conditions were fine 'over the top' (what a relief) even some sun breaking through. Snow was absolutely fine, made my way down the 'Lac' eventually to the Comborcier lift. Half way up, the fog drew in again, coudn't see the ground! Mmmmm.. I was wondering whether to do Malgovert or just take the easy blue, (didn't fancy Malgovert not being able to see 10 feet in front of me). Anyway... a hole appeared in the sky and the sun came out. Malgovert is one one of these gems, little used and bl**dy good fun. It wasn't 'untracked' by any manner of means, but definately wasn't 'tracked out'.
Other good ones I did today, 'Lanches' off the top of the Varet (Aiguille Rouge was closed) , I'm definately not an expert, but I thought conditions on Lanches was good, perhaps easier than normal, and although 'fairly' steep and mogulled, the bumps were prettty soft and not too bad for an 'intermediate' [me]. The other one of note was the Bois de l'Our, I've often commented to myself on the lift above, that I'd really like to have the confidence to attemp that - having seen so many people struggle previously [from the lift]. Well I went for it - the hardest part (IMO) was the entrance, and the 'half pipe bit' that you can't see from the lift is damn good fun.

Overall, I can't believe my luck, booked this week on the spur of the moment, Snow is great and abundant - OK, runs down to resorts, not so good (but not bad!!) .... but it's April! Anyone coming out, don't let what I've said about the fog put you off,

A. Apparently conditions are expected to improve tomorrow.
B. And it was all fine anyway (just the little bits)

Queues! None whatsoever. Varet, Transarc, Derby, all going up with every second chair / Gondola empty. Shame AR was closed - not sure why.

Allan M

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, Not jealous at all, dear me no. (chews quietly on arm of chair to save wailing cries from waking smallW).

Keep the reports coming - ratbags the lot of ya.
snow report
allanm, We're there for the day on saturday, & then hoping to catch the last day of the season there the following saturday snowHead EoSB inbetween snowHead
latest report
rob@rar, pity I have missed seeing you do the waterslide, did you do it before you left. geri, Do come by the altiport saturday and join in the fun. Some of us are there most days from 4.30pm till they send us away. Hope to see you.
snow conditions
Sad Came down early today, vis became poor and it started snowing. It looks quite closed in now and the wind is blowing. Hope the bad weather passes quickly so we can make one more trip before the season is over. What a difference from yesterday with blue sky and great powder.
snow conditions
JimW, Everyone...
Just to rub salt into the wounds! Last two days - What a contrast to Wednesday, clear skies fairly warm, and still pretty good snow although 'heavy' as I would put it, off piste, but still fine.

Resort is deserted apart from the ESF and their trailing band of nine year olds. Normally I wouldn't have the slightest problem with that (we all have to learn), but today they were the only thing(s) preventing you from 'going for it'! Clocked in excess of 90KPH down the l'Aigle, not something I'd normally do...but under the circumstances, had to be done!

Took air in a big way, off - (can't remenber exact name, but run back into Vallandry / Peisy from the back of the '66' Absolutely deserted, hit the brow of the hill, where it crosses with the Foret (I think) Once 'airborne' I had time to get down to the Tabac for a packet of smokes, couple of pints in the Mont Blanc, and do the weekly shopping, or so it seemed. Anyway, skies went 'SLAP' and I was still going in a forward direction. Heart was not impressed though!

Anyway another great day (or two).

Allan

ski holidays
Hi Everyone - am I the only one still out here (with internet access)?

Anyway, We had a smallish 'dump' last night - just enough to brighten things up. Didn't last long though, from first lifts to about 1PM or so was brilliant, probably did the best skiing I've done this year, how come that always seems to happen on the last(ish) day?, after that it was fine 'up the top' but anything below about 2000 was pretty heavy and slushy.
snowcrazy, I thought I saw the other 'Steve' today, but I had to get down to Vallandry for another 'meet' so didn't follow.
Managed to set off a small 'avalanche' on the steep wooded bit above above 1600 (I think). No damage to me, but it made me think about skiing these bits on your own, bad move perhaps.
Pretty surreal tonight, last night over here for this year, but the Mont Blanc is quite busy, for a change.

ATB, Allan

snow report
I'm still here! (just..... - back tomorrow night)
Today was fab. Beautiful blue skies... Lovely light powder am... Even I could turn in it!
Unbelievable to get light powder down to 1600 at this time of the year..... (first thing)
Then spent some time off the side of Malgovert and up Grand Col
What a great end to the season.... Hope all those who are still out here for a while have a great time...
latest report
jayne durham, So looking forward to tomorrow morning, I'm back home tomorrow too (7:20PM out of Lyon) but hopefully get a few hours in first. Yes agree, I did the Grand Col this morning, it was brilliant. I did the black - Refuse - which was great fun as the bumps had been 'hidden' by the fresh stuff.
What a day!
Allan M
snow report
Good to see a few people still around.allanm, Pity we will not have timwe to meet up, maybe next time. Do remember to bring your off piste kit so that you are able to join us. Today was very good hi up under the cable car and even a few nice bits lower down on Robert blanc. The best was going over the back into the park and having all the fresh stuff just to ourselves. Fresh tracks almost the whole way back to the piste, a good 30min + run (but you need to know the way).

Off the side of droset was also good with few tracks and great fresh snow. Tomorrow promises to be another great day as the front should not arrive till late we hope. If those still around fancy a drink we will be at the altiport about 1pm tomorrow. Hope to see you there.
snow report
Have a great day allanm! - Know what you mean about "filled in" moguls. We did Fond Blanc early on and found it distinctly "interesting" - crunchy moguls hidden in between deep powder.
Up to sunshine again...
We're skiing the day then off to the luxury of the formula 1 at Ferney Voltaire... followed by the red eye 6.40 am back and straight to work... yuck....Harsh wake up call after the last couple of weeks!
See you next year Snowcrazy...Enjoyed Petit St Bernard eve!!!
snow report
http://thermique74.nuxit.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1978&highlight=

Some pictures and film from RG's site of a controlled avalanche blast in the 2000 bowl on 2006.
snow conditions
Mmmm...... Sat at Lyon airport, quite surreal really, however, for the last day, I felt the snow held up very well until about 1PM, where on piste was slushy pretty much everywhere, except right 'up the top'. Mostly played arround in the trees this morning, and a little further 'off piste' off the lower runs, e.g. off the back of the Derby (left U turn as you get off the lift) and into the trees - quite steep there, but still good snow and pretty untracked.
A good enough last day, but wasn't to 'sad' to leave as it is obvious we are getting to the end of the season.

snowcrazy, would have loved to join the party today, I think, with a few more weeks under my belt since we last met, I wouldn't have held you up (too much). Too much hastle for the last day though - renting the avalanche kit - but definately will next year. Can't wait - wishing my life away or what.

Anyway, that's it til January now (:<)

ATB everyone,

Allan M

www.19x.co.uk
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy