Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French cross-country skiers face ban from world cup races

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Five French cross-country skiers face bans from starting races during the world cup season because they have high haemoglobin readings, the French skiing federation (FFS) have announced....The five men are: Vincent Vittoz, Jean-Marc Gaillard, Damien Ambrosetti, Yann Soubeyrand and Sylvain Bailly.

See: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16112007/58/french-cross-country-skiers-face-ban.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
el Hen, do they get this from training at high altitude ?...or is it something artificially induced ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Somewhat closer to home, all EosB 2008 Race competitors should note that jägermeisterglobin levels are to be closely monitored by the appropriate bodies .... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Charlatanefc, and his new mate kristof, WILL be tested ..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty,

http://icb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/46/1/18.pdf

has an interesting summary of the most researched high-altitude populations and the differences between them, including differences in haemoglobin concentrations, the stimulus required for those haemoglobin concentrations, and the percent oxygen saturation of the haemoglobin that is present.

Have a look at Table 1. The Bolivian response at 19.1 gm/dl is higher than the concentrations of the FFS skiers. Of course, the frenchmens' altitude response, if such it is, is quite higher than that of average adult Ethiopian or Tibetan males at 15.8 gm/dl. How much of the genetic argument do you accept, and how much of the increased-number-of-breaths adaptation explanation?

Quote:
The classic Andean pattern is characterized
by high hemoglobin concentration, low oxygen
saturation, and an arterial oxygen content that is
actually about 16% higher than sea-level reference
values. The Tibetan pattern is characterized by essentially
sea-level hemoglobin concentration until very
high altitudes are attained, profoundly low oxygen
saturation, and an arterial oxygen content that is
about 10% lower than sea-level references values.
Represented by a single study, the Ethiopian pattern
is distinguished by levels of hemoglobin concentration,
oxygen saturation, and arterial oxygen content comparable
to those of healthy sea-level populations.
Considering these measures from a single study, it
is as if the Ethiopian sample were not living at high
altitude.
The two traits described are among many that distinguish
Andean and Tibetan high-altitude natives.
For example, Andean highlanders have relatively
lower resting ventilation, hypoxic ventilatory response,
exhaled nitric oxide, and stronger hypoxic pulmonary
vasoconstriction (Beall et al., 1997; Beall et al., 2001;
Groves et al., 1993). Thus, the natural experiment of
human colonization of three high plateaus has resulted
in two—perhaps three—biological outcomes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, Thanks, I won't pretend to understand everything in that article but I think I got the gist of it. mmmm seems very difficult to see how those levels could be achieved naturally. I going to re-read (slooowly) the article tonight to see if I can understand a little more of it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty, sorry about that; I searched on Beall's name and there are far more readily approachable articles. Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy