Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give some advice on good hotels, not too pricey! Hows the skiing and apres for to older lads Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
joshua, their website is pretty good - http://www.obertauern.com/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
joshua, Plenty good hotels but not the chepist village to stay in.
Skiing and apres i would discride as relaxed
There are a few snowheads that go regulary we are back there at start of Feb
Its worht doing a serch on hear as there was a lot of talk on the place last winter
If you have a look in snow reports there are some links to the web cams round the slopes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd also love to know if anyone has any hotel recommendations for Obertauern. Hoping to go for a week on 15th Dec, but there are so many to choose from. I've looked at the Schneider which was recommended in threads from last year, but that's just a little bit too pricey for us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
becsinbath, We stayed at the Hotel Gamsleiten, which is right next to the Gamsleiten Lift, http://www.obertauern.net/en/gamsleiten in the centre of town. Family owned, (they own 3 hotels in the resort) and they speak good English which makes booking through their website easy. The owner Christof and his Girlfriend Maria, are very helpful, and Maria does a free guided tour of the mountains every Sunday. It's a 4 star hotel, food was absolutely fantastic, good rooms, (bathrooms were all being renewed for 2008 so they said) with a choice of about 4 different sized rooms and some apartments. If you use the “rooms free” link you can see at glance which rooms are free for the period you want.

It's cheaper than a lot of other 4 star hotels because it doesn't have a swimming pool, sauna etc, just a steam room, but then we never use those facilities anyway.

There was a huge salad buffet with every evening meal, and a cheese buffet to follow every desert. They serve free afternoon tea at 4pm, lovely cakes and savouries. The breakfast buffet had everything you could think of, and you could order a cooked breakfast at no extra charge. The only thing we could fault the hotel on is that the lounge is also the reception area, so not very large, it does have a nice bar in it, but there is no where to sit away from smokers. The dinning room is lovely though, very big and more like a restaurant, so we tended to spend most of the evening there.

The ski room has heated boot racks and you can ski to the door. There is a ski hire shop opposite, which you get a discount for as a guest at the hotel.

We thought the hotel was such good value for money, and the staff so nice, that we rebooked straight away for 2008. Like many hotels in Obertauern, they are closed all summer, and I can see from their other hotel websites that they are advertising for a “Sous chef and Koch” for the season, so we hope the food is as good as it was in 2007 - it really made the holiday.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My own experience of Austrian hotels in ski resorts is that they have a pretty uniformally high standard and you are unlikely to get a poor one. The web site and tourist office brochures do give fairly accurate descriptions of both the hotels and their situation. We stayed in an Apparthotel when we went can't remember the name but it was very good.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
joshua, I stayed in the Tauerner Wisenegg http://www.wisenegg.at/index.php?lang=en
in March. It's a very comfortable 3* - food was really good and plentiful, and rooms were clean and comfortable. It's about 15 mins walk from the centre of town so you it's a little less expensive than the 4* hotels you'll find higher up. But it's only a 3 minute walk to the nerarest lift so no great burden.
I'd recommend it. (Make sure you ask if they have a package available for the dates you want - you may get some discount and slight discount on lift pass - but that's the same for all Austrian hotels).
Hamish
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, Its great to get views on other peoples holiday experiences. Just hoping the snow holds up for a trip mid December Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joshua, well I think it would take a lot of sunshine to melt 130/190 cms - you'll be ok I'm sure, it will probably have snowed again by the time you go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got an Obertauern report on the resorts page. We stayed at Hotel Schuetz - good food, clean and relatively cheap. No atmosphere though - bit like a shopping mall!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatirishman, I was just about to book Hotel Schuetz (http://www.hotel-schuetz.at/englisch/hotel.php) for the kids holidays in Feb. Is it that quite there? Is it OK for a family like????? Also there were two groups of us going and a couple of people cannot ski. Is it OK for mixed ability groups? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stortfordhal, If you go to the tourist website www.obertauern.com and then go the "English winter" site, left hand menu link to >lodgings > four star hotels > Das Schütz am Obertauern, then open the hotel window up, (not the www) on the bottom right hand side of the description page you'll see a Map no. E/12-29, if you use this link you can see exactly where the hotel is in relation to the resort centre. The central areas are cross hatched with orange lines and blue lines on either side of the road. This is where most of the après ski area is, and the main nursery slopes. To the left of the village down the road, there is another small complex of hotels, with more lifts that link into the system, but it's a long up-hill walk to the main part of the town, if that's where you want to visit at night. Taxis run there and back, but what the place really needs is a ski bus. If my memory serves me right, the Schutz is a bit out in the sticks on the main road, between the two areas, but fatirishman, will be able to confirm this. I think this is a hotel favoured by the TO from the UK, that could be a good or bad thing! If the non skiers intend not to ski, they will find the days very long and boring, because there is nothing else to do there in the daytime. If they are learning, the place is excellent for beginners IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stortfordhal, The Schutz is a bit away from most of the bars though there is one outside the Snow White which is next door
Most of the bars and the night skiing are at the other end of the village which is about ten minute walk
There is a ski bridge next to the hotel which lets you access the lefts at that end and one of the ski schools meets there.
Mrs G and I are staying at the Stiner which is a couple of buildings further out of the village but not a problem
There is not a lot in the village if you are not skiing but you can get the bus down to Radstat and then to Salzberg if anyone is after a day away from the slopes. (not something we have ever wanted to do)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all for that. The two non-skiers intend to learn, but get your point about not much to do during they day. Just wanted to go somewhere kind of snowsure after last season and that hotel kinda looked good. Maybe I should look at another resort a bit lower...Need to keep two young kids busy in the evening and let me and the wife and our friends get a bit of Apres Ski. Thanks Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stortfordhal, Well there are vchildren's day care activities, for both really young kids, and older ones, some ski related others not, but they always hand the kids back when the lifts close at most resorts. I guess you need to find a hotel that has a late afternoon/early evening activity program, which on a skiing holiday will be difficult to find - just take the kids with or take grandma along! wink
snow report
stortfordhal, it's fine for a family that ski! No great play area or anything for kiddies though. You do have to walk a bit (150m) to get to the first lift which is on the nursery slopes, then it's a bit of a shuffle to a decent chair. It's not ski in ski out unless you fancy a bit of off piste (that's not too bad actually). I agree with sharon1953, for non skiiers they'll go out of their mind there! They have a sauna etc but apart form that it's not good for the non skiiers the hotel would be dead during the day. Beginners - fine as the nursery slopes are just around the corner.
latest report
sharon1953 wrote:
becsinbath, We stayed at the Hotel Gamsleiten....

Thanks so much Sharon, this is where we're going to go as it sounds brilliant. Just waiting for final confirmation of the room reservation - ooh I'm excited now, 3 weeks today and we'll be there! Very Happy
snow conditions
becsinbath, sometimes Martina is a bit slow at sending the reservations, but all you have to do is return the email of their offer, and that's it done, plus sending the deposit. You can almost fall out of the Hotel onto the Gamsleiten lift! I'm so envious - we have to wait till February - you lucky lucky person Madeye-Smiley If you need the name of a good transfer taxi just ask, we found the cheapest 8 seater from Salzburg, or you can use the coach that runs there and back to the airport in time with the major flights.
ski holidays
Is this hotel better than the Hotel Schutz ....http://www.marietta.at/index.html. Got two offers for the kids holidays in Feb ...One for the Schutz and the other from Hotel Marietta?????? snowHead
snow conditions
stortfordhal, their is a website somewhere, can't remember the name now, that has hotel reviews on it left by people who have actually stayed in the hotels. If you google something along the lines of "Schutz Austria hotel reviews", you'll probably come across it.
latest report
sharon1953, This site good for getting reports on hotels http://www.tripadvisor.com
I dont alwaya agree about what said though
We have been at hotels we realy liked that have got negative feedback
Just goes to show not every ones the same
ski holidays
Garfield, yes, you have to read between the lines. Couples without kids will have different expectations/needs than those with kids and visa versa. We know that if a hotel is geared for young families, i.e. high chairs, cots, & entertainment, it's probably not the one for us! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sharon1953, it's confirmed Razz not sure how to send the deposit though - is it possible to do international transfers through internet banking with most banks? Is one of their account numbers equivalent to a UK sort code?

As for the transfer from Salzburg, as there are only 2 of us, I am assuming the cheapest option is the coach through the Obertauern website - would you agree?
latest report
becsinbath, yes, that would be the easiest, I think seats have to be pre booked via the website. We had to send the deposit via our bank, at a cost of £25.00 and couldn't do it online! They accept credit cards once you are there, but they have no "card holder not present" facility - so you can't pay for the deposit with a card either. Ask Martina for their bank details, and they will send all the details your bank needs to send the euros. But perhaps as the date is so near, they may not even ask for a deposit if Martina hasn't mentioned it yet.
ski holidays
You can pay by the taxi company by credit card over the phone. They speak good English.
http://www.reisen-habersatter.at/transfer-en.php and email them the details to confiorm.
International money transfer (Euro) should normally cost about £10 - at least that's what my bank (Lloyds) charges.
Hamish
snow report
Hamish, Well you're lucky, both the Nationwide BS and Royal Bank of Scotland wanted £25.00 and if you don't agree to pay the recipient's costs at the other end, it costs them and that reduces the amount of deposit that you think you have paid (we had to go into the branch to do it as well)
ski holidays
Enjoyed the thread so far loads of info on hotels. What about the difficulty of the runs is it mainly for intermediates and beginners are they very long, mogus etc Puzzled
latest report
By the way what's the skiing like in Obertauern ????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joshua, johnnyh, this is a link to an earlier thread about the resort, you might find the info useful. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25824&highlight=obertauern
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy