Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunshine Village

Poster: A snowHead
The live webcams are back online
http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/webcams.php
spotted a few people on the lifts

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-01-08 9:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wish I was sitting in Trappers drinking Kokanee Crying or Very sad

2 of the best days of my life spent in the Sunshine Inn this time 3 years ago Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently the car park was starting to fill up at 8am this morning, I'm waiting for my wife to come home (she now works at Sunshine) to hear how manic it was. I'll be there at the weekend.

From this page it seems they actually have a reasonable amount of snow for their first day and a fair few runs open. Much better than Norquay which opened with 1 run last week Shocked and Lake Louise that made just enough snow for a few runs on their front side and then had so many people on the first day that queues were massive and patrollers were having to tell every one to slow down every 50 meters rolling eyes

But of course I will still go along to Sunshine at the weekend knowing it will be busy and knowing that conditions won't be ideal, just because its there snowHead [/url]
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
See these pics from 5th November, there seems like alot of snow
http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/slideshows/nov5-2007/gallery.php
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevev,

Looks pretty good

solarfish,

When I stayed at the Sunshine Inn in Dec 2004 there were only 12 guests!!! On the slopes they only sold 1000 tickets per day. The place was totally empty. It was amazing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They had about 3000 people yesterday I think, expecting similar at the weekend, but conditions are good apparently and so I'm hoping to have a nice first day of the season. I'll try to report back with first hand experience of conditions on Sunday/Monday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well just got back from my first day at Sunshine. Conditions were surprisingly good, plenty of runs and lifts open though nothing on Goats Eye so the most challenging runs were out. I would describe the base as a little thin in places, there were certainly a few more rocks and greenery poking through than I would have wanted, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the snow. There was no ice anywhere and only on one section of a black run did I find anything that could be described as scraped. In the main snow was very soft and powdery all over the place, it was also snowing almost all day and kept at about -5C so I'm sure that was helping to maintain conditions. All in all a very enjoyable day and I would certainly recommend that anyone who can get to Sunshine in the next couple of weeks should do so, from what I have heard this past week, the conditions at Lake Louise and Norquay are terrible with both only opening a single run and yet opening a week earlier, it seems Sunshine were absolutely right to delay their opening.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
solarfish, How's the skiing going. Looks pretty empty on the webcam today, wish I could get out earlier. All booked up now for late Feb, can't wait
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like Sunshine got dumped on yesterday, 25cm overnight
http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/snow_report.php

and loads more still coming down from looking at the webcams
http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/webcam2still.php
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah they have had a lot of snow over the past couple of days and I am stuck half an hour away having to work Sad But I will be there at the weekend so I hope there is still plenty of stuff to ski then. According to the weather forecast there is chance of a little more snow this week but temps will never get anywhere near zero so nothing will melt and that base will continue to grow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More dumpage at Sunshine today, apparently it was 'puking snow' in the morning. Website not updated yet but it does show 9cm yesterday and there was more falling today. Forecast shows chances of snow tonight and tomorrow and temperatures staying well below zero. I won't get a chance to get out until Saturday, but I then have time off right through to 2nd January so expect to get lots of skiing/boarding in.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds great, wish I was going sooner, got to wait until February.

Saw some more good news yesterday, the SkiBus moved one of it's pick ups to the rear of Mount Royal hotel, so no waiting in the cold for the bus anymore Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well done, Solarfish, keep up the snow reports for us, that is if you can tear yourself away from the slopes.
I'm also waiting til February to experience that famous Rocky Mountain Powder. Also, let us know if you get one of those spells of -30C arctic weather, it'll be nice to know the threat has passed before I arrive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
solarfish, Oh I wish I was there - I loved Sunshine - so beautiful and absolute peace at night.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, Already had -28C a couple of weeks ago, but I don't believe that means any threat has passed Smile
latest report
solarfish, Hi , thanks for the updates.
Please keep 'em coming over the Holidays as I'll be there in 10 days. How are conditions? Sunshine looks in great nic on the webcams and it looks like plenty of snow showers forecast over the next week or so. Have a great time and leave some for us Very Happy
snow conditions
Was out Friday afternoon, all day yesterday and most of today (though we knocked off a little early). Conditions are fantastic on the stuff I have done. I am currently learning snowboard so have not really ventured further than blues but there has been steady light snow there for couple of days and all the groomed runs at least are in excellent shape.

Goats Eye mountain is open and I did venture up there yesterday morning (on blades not a board!) and there are a few blacks and the long blue available but the majority of the more challenging stuff is still closed. For those of you that know the hill, Goats Eye has some of the most challenging runs but it gets a lot of wind and unfortunately much of the snow is still being blown off rather than sticking. Delerium Dive is still shut along with Wild West but these often don't open until February so I wouldn't read anything into that.

Temperatures are all over the place at the moment, -18C yesterday, -4C when we finished today, but still not been over 0C for several weeks now at Sunshine so there is almost no ice anywhere and most of what falls from the sky stays on the ground. It has also been pretty quiet with for example 3671 people there yesterday which is low for a Saturday, so that helps maintain the conditions. However the '5 days of Christmas' are coming up when something crazy like 15% of all there business happens in the last few days of December!

From what I've heard Lake Louise and Norquay are still pretty poor with certainly the front side very icy through man made snow and high volumes of traffic too early in the season. Certainly I have not heard anything that would tempt me to drive the extra 48Km and to pay to ski (my wife works at Sunshine so free skiing there snowHead ) at the moment, but I have been going to LL for 12 years and I do love it so I'm sure I'll go when things improve a bit.

Not sure of my plans tomorrow and Christmas day, I'd like to get out at least one of them but I'll certainly be there on boxing day when I have promissed myself I will get back on my skis to take on the bigger stuff snowHead

Merry Christmas to all in case I am having too much fun to get back here for a couple of days Toofy Grin
latest report
Sorry I have not updated here for a while, been having too much fun! Had a little snow on a couple of days last week and then quite a bit yesterday http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/snow_report.php. Some runs were starting to get a bit scraped after the busy week, but conditions were very good yesterday after the snowfall. I will not get out again until the weekend now, but I believe we could be getting a little more snow over the next couple of days.

I have still not put my skis on this season as I am really starting to get on with the boarding and am now quite happy on blues and starting to attempt blacks. Also the still less than ideal conditions on Goats Eye mean that I really don't see an urgent need to go beyond the intermediate runs for another couple of weeks. Of course a big dump of snow could change all that!

minx, I guess you must be just about to come over, the snow yesterday will have helped, but you should not be planning any offpiste or double blacks at the moment, there are just too many rocks still exposed.
snow report
Hope it snows a bit more soon, I have till the 23rdFebruary. I have been watching the snow reports and it seems there hasn't been a great deal of snow, just a few cm's most days.

Is it normal for snow to be so low on Goats Eye at this time of year ?
ski holidays
I'm going out on the 1st Feb to Banff. Sure hope that it dumps it down prior to my arrival
snow report
I'm sure there is no need to panic, it is still less than 2 months in to a 7 month season at Sunshine and conditions at most of the resort are pretty good. Goats Eye, at the top, is extremely exposed and so it often has poorer conditions than the rest of the resort not because of lack of snow falling but because of snow getting blown off. As I said, one big dump can change everything at Sunshine very quickly, we were having lots of great skiing a few weeks ago on the back of 60cm that fell over about 48 hours.

Remember we are talking about a resort that has not had a temperature above zero since it opened and that has far less density of traffic than many other resorts, therefore the few cm's that have been observed on several days recently are more than enough to maintain conditions. All I'm saying is that the more extreme runs (for example Delerium Dive) remain closed and that some others are open but with exposed rocks requiring additional caution. I have seen exactly the same conditions in Lake Louise at this time of year even though they make a lot of snow.

From what I have heard, Europe is having a fantastic start to the season, which is unusual, most years I would expect many European resorts to have significantly less snow than we have here at this time of year. There was a great season here last year when Sunshine opened in the first week of November, but this year I think is the more typical start.

So, if you are coming out right now, then expect good conditions on intermediate runs and more challenging conditions on advanced runs with less opportunity for extreme and major off piste activities. If you are coming in a few weeks time then you have every right to expect superb conditions throughout the resort as Sunshine averages 10m of snow each year and so far we have only had 3m, there should be plenty more falling over the next few weeks and relatively few people on the hills.
snow report
Just a quick update. I was on the hill on Saturday and conditions were basically the same as they have been for the past couple of weeks. Good snow on all beginner and intermediate runs with harder conditions on expert areas. The most exposed and extreme terrain remains closed and Delerium Dive in particular is not looking even close to opening. Most nights there are a couple of cm of snow and the temperature continues to stay below zero so there is very little degradation of runs especially now that the Christmas crowds have gone. Snow is forecast for tonight and temperatures are dropping significantly (-18C) tomorrow so there may be more to report then.
snow report
6 weeks to go, I am doing Snow Dances every night.

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated.
ski holidays
Quote:

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated

Ditto Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

Thanks for the updates, much appreciated.

Ditto Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Woke up to about 6 inches of fresh snow outside my front door this morning, from the Sunshine website it seems they got the same overnight so I'm sure conditions there will be pretty good! I won't get there until the weekend so I'll report on conditions then.
ski holidays
I saw Sunshine got a dump of snow, and the temperature appears to have dropped to better levels

Quote:
Past 24 Hours: 20cm, Past 3 Days: 19cm, Base: 152cm, Snowfall To Date: 332cm

Today's Forecast:
Sun and Snow
High -18°C
Low -19°C
latest report
Arctic blast & snow forecast for Western Canada/Northern US Rockies for the weekend here:

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&article=4

EDIT: the story the link pointed to has moved, I can't find it now, SORRY Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sunshine is borderline on the steeper slopes, alot of goatseye is marginal with some rocks and trees poking through. Lookout is fairing better probably due to the fact it recieves less wind but slopes remain pretty scraped. Byebye Bowl has some decent pow still. Standish similar story snow holding well but still scraped and rocks starting to show. Wawa has best snow for now seems to be sticking in the trees.
snow report
Has it been a bad season so far for Canada generally?
snow conditions
Any more "on the ground" reports for Banff area?
snow conditions
Nothing much to report sorry. As Rossfra8 said conditions are holding up, but we really want a lot more snow to get really excited. My wife and daughter are at Sunshine today so I'll hear from them how things are, but we have had no new snow for a week now so conditions obviously can't have improved since last Sunday when I went out. We do have a cold snap forecast for next week with lows approaching -30C and there is some snow forecast for most days so that is encouraging.
snow report
BrightonSki, nope Cool
latest report
Just found this blog on Accuweather: http://www.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=anderson

He's forecasting an Arctic cold front sweeping down over Western Canada bringing cold temps & snow to most parts, snow at sea-level in Vancouver and -38C in Calgary overnight Mon/Tues. Can't begin to imagine what that'll feel like! Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
luigi,

Just looked at the BBC work weather site and it looks seriously cold over Canada!!
ski holidays
Sunshine will get pretty cold but its not as cold as it sounds, the difference between -40 and -10 is 2 decent thin layers and some handwarmers. Hopefully Sunshine gets some much needed snow-was very soft today, snow on Wawa ridge (back country) was crusty. Nice in trees,
snow conditions
Looking pretty cold over the nextfew days according to snow-forecast.com

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sunshine/3day/top

Snow cm 5 5 - - - - 1 2 -
Rain mm - - - - - - - - -
Max °C -15 -24 -29 -27 -33 -23 -19 -18 -17
Min °C -19 -29 -31 -37 -37 -31 -19 -20 -18
Windchill °C -29 -35 -41 -52 -52 -44 -30
snow report
Temperature outsied my door in banff just now is -30, wind chill -39. Sunshine delayed opening due to cold. 28cm new snow.
snow conditions
please warmup for Friday... that's when we hit town!!
snow report
Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow snowHead

As hopefully, fingers crossed, will be out there early March Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy