Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Outdoor dry slopes when it snows - any good then?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I haven't yet tried a dry slope, but there is one nearby in Brentwood. Do they use them on the rare occasions that it snows and if so do they improve? Sorry, if this seems a daft thing to ask, but I just wondered.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-11-07 23:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been near enough to one when it has had snow to find out.

But because the plastic is a lot slower than snow, they tend to be fairly steep, and so at a guess, they would be likely to not open, or only allow "experts" to ski.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Dendix can become slower when it snows, as the holes between the filaments fill up and the snow can restrict their movement. If it's falling snow that's great or if you can get fresh tracks where the snow is still on top of the bristles. When the snow gets thicker it's the same as any other hill with snow on it. We normally take to the trees at the side of the slope. The problem with Hemel in the snow is the access roads are all hills, so getting there can be a problem, unless you've got a Landrover wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney, Business as usual at Hemel in the snow, unless the staff can't get there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, if you have a dry slope so close why not try - don't wait until it snows! The dry slope I use has a water misting system but this is improved when it rains and although i have not skied it in snow it must be better still. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I was wondering a simalar thing. I have some hills near me but there are no ski lifts on them. If it snows would I be Ok to ski on them Wink

I've been to Hillend (very big dry ski slope in Edinburgh) with snow on it and it was way way better than normal Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard E, I don't get a lot of time to have time away from the house and have never got round to it, also there is often lots of discussion and the combinattion of it being harder to fall on, more minor injuries and a possibly different feeling to real snow has never encouraged me to make the effort. I guess, if there was a chance to meet a group there one day then I might go. My I don't know if I would drum up the enthusiasm by myself.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Do not, I repeat do not take your new skis to a dry slope. The matting will kill them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, hillend in Edinburgh quite often (okay a few days a year) gets quite a lovely covering of snow.. it is awesome! Snow + chairlift + two pomas right beside Edinburgh on a hill... what more could you want... well okay.. a lot more but you can`t complain when it is right at your doorstep. Go to your local dry ski slope when it rains and you will enjoy it. NEVER EVER take your own skis unless you don`t mind having a damaged set in your quiver
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I have no idea how big your ski slope is but if it is a fairly good size get yourself along to adult ski school. You get to meet lots of new people.. learn some skills and have fun sliding down a hill on two planks. I have taught on plastic on and off for about 5 years. The feel is slightly different from snow. It is far harder to get good edge grip, especially on dendix were 80% of your ski is actually in thin air. Ignor ethe horror stories you hear. If you fall yep it can hurt but so can falling on snow!!!!! If you can hone your skills on plastic while you wait for your snowy holidays the technique you develop will make your time away much more enjoyable and fruitful. I promise gooing along even a coupel of times a month will greatly help your skiing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman wrote:
Megamum, Dendix can become slower when it snows, as the holes between the filaments fill up and the snow can restrict their movement.

Can't say I have ever experienced that after nearly 18 years of working on a dry slope.

When the snow gets pushed off the bristles and the snow level is just a centimetre or so low in the diamond section, the mat then begins to feel incredibly slow as the skis are now just ski-ing the bristles again, there is no contact with the snow. The contrast at this point between ski-ing a few runs on snow on top of the Dendix and then back to plain old Dendix is huge in terms of speed and this can happen within a few minutes depending how many people are out using the slope.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II, depends on teh snow depth and how much you love your skis.. I have skied down cairngorm with sparks flying up everytime I engaged my edges.. looks cool but my skis weren`t too happy. If the snow looks decent and you are a competant skier then I say go for it!!! Back country skiing in Skye .. send me a pic if you do it snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
mrtoastie, it was better when they used to keep the grass short for grass skiing, you could go "off piste" on about half a cm ! Particularly fun at night away from the floodlights. Ever been down the golf course ? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, be careful, dry slopes can also become addictive, especially in combination with BZK. "I could do the housework or I could just pop along and try Easiski's latest tip" guess which one wins. My house is a tip! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I vaguely recall that when Southampton Dry slope was operated by the council the slop was closed when it snowed because of Elfin Safety rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
With dendixit needs a fair amount of snow to make a dramatic difference as it goes into the holes so you are skiing on the bristles - and in snow you can't run the sprinklers. Snowflex is hugely improved with a smattering of snow. Both surfaces are also improved from normal in a frost. If you go to a dry slope for the first time, go when it's raining! Even with good sprinkers rain provides a more evenly slippery surface.

Robin
snow report
snowaddict wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
Megamum, Dendix can become slower when it snows, as the holes between the filaments fill up and the snow can restrict their movement.

Can't say I have ever experienced that after nearly 18 years of working on a dry slope.

When the snow gets pushed off the bristles and the snow level is just a centimetre or so low in the diamond section, the mat then begins to feel incredibly slow as the skis are now just ski-ing the bristles again, there is no contact with the snow. The contrast at this point between ski-ing a few runs on snow on top of the Dendix and then back to plain old Dendix is huge in terms of speed and this can happen within a few minutes depending how many people are out using the slope.

I think we're probably feeling a combination of both, but I know exactly what you mean. We normally take to the Grass anyway. Very Happy
ski holidays
It can be like the slope at Gloucester - fast spots then straight into etremely slow spots. It's far from ideal, and not worth trying if you've got an indoor snow slope nearby.
snow conditions
I remember skiing Gosling slope years ago when it had a sprinkler system. i found it very inconsistent, fast bits where the slope was wet, then immediately slow on the dry bits, plus I ended up soaked on a dry day.
snow report
Quote:

It's far from ideal, and not worth trying if you've got an indoor snow slope nearby.

I'd say that once you get to a certain level, indoor slopers are really not worth trying if you've got a dryslope nearby Very Happy - Until we get a red run indoors at least snowHead
ski holidays
Have skied on dryslopes in southampton and at rossendale a few times when it's been snowing - always race training so after a few people have gone all the snow is off the racing line down the course and the main difference I find is that I can't see where the hell I'm going cos it somehow never occurs to me to take my goggles to the dry slope, even when I know it's snowing - doh rolling eyes other than that is just like skiing in the rain really cos snow melts pretty quick as I said on the racing line so is just nice and wet..... sadly never seem to get enough snow to actually build a layer up on top of the dendex so doesn't feel like skiing on snow - not in southampton or rossie at least! Be nice to try it if it did tho Very Happy
snow report
I've skied a foot of fresh at Hemel Very Happy It just becomes a good hill with lift access, 10 miles from home. Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, We had a couple inches at Brentwood last year and it was great. Dont feel silly with your question as the phone was ringing with people wondering "how soon will we get the snow cleared off so that you can open the slope". skiing on snow on a plastic hill is much more fun thatn skiing on plastic

The only hassle is getting there are the roads were quite slick.

ps little known pub quiz fact is that the highest point in Essex is the top of Brentwood ski hill.....
snow report
iblair, Matson is a God-awful slope - worse than the one at Pontypool, and that one's got a tree in the middle!
snow report
its great fun when you get good snow, i used to love it up at rossendale, we used to ski down the slope down the car park and down into whittiker park (sp)
snow report
skimottaret, snowHead

We've had people ask if their ski lessons will be cancelled because of the snow - but it's understandable, 'cos everything else stops in the south-east anyway when we have an inch or two.

The worst thing is that it's usually VERY cold when it snows, (obvious really)..and people coming for lessons usually aren't dressed warmly enough.
snow conditions
skimottaret, Any idea when Brentwood will open for the season? wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LIAMJ, Normally when they sweep away the tumbleweeds at the end of summer wink

ski, I see a fair few "fashion victim" girls turn up with knitted gloves and jeans on when it is cold and then they freeze to death
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied on snow at both Sandown and Aldershot. At Sandown we skied the slope from the bar down to the main part of the slope which meant we got more speed onto the slope. At Aldershot, once the slope got tracked out we skied the trees at the side (now between the slopes), and down the steps!!!

Megamum, If Brentwood is close to you, you really have no excuse. Get down there, join a class and then join the club. Very Happy It's not nearly as scary as some people make out.
ski holidays
Megamum, Brentwood has a ladies morning on thursdays from 10-12, very friendly with instructors present to help out on an informal basis. Tea and biscuits as well.....

generally 2 or 3 instructors and a dozen ladies so quite a good time to get some practice in.

If interested call Brentwood and ask for Steve or Sergio...
snow conditions
Megamum, I skiied at sheffield in the snow last year and the dendix wasnt affected at all, but the snowflex was way better. at the time I was a bit of a nervous skiier (as this is only really my second year skiing!) and it was pretty nerveracking because its quite steep and was way slippier than I was used to...
ski holidays
I remember a floodlit lesson on a dry slope in Ayrshire - very, very frosty. My husband missed a turn, and ploughed off the edge. Normally that stopped you dead, but not that night. He just slid on, and on, dropping into the dark unknown beyond the loom of the floodlights. Till there was a big crash..... Eventually he appeared, skis over the shoulder.
latest report
my mum keeps reminding me of the time, when she use to ski box hill in surrey about 20 years ago. She said it was brillaint fun, they used a car as the lift and took it in turns. Where i live in oxfordshire, we have a huge hill which if i owned boots and skis i would ski when it snows, which is about once maybe twice a year and you get about 10cm.

Ive heard everyone flocks to the dryslope when it snows. never been myself.
snow report
Brentwood's slope is 24.5 miles away from me - which is a reasonable though not huge distance for a two way trip. I work Thursday mornings Sad
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Brentwood's slope is 24.5 miles away from me

Are you sure it isn't 24.6? wink
ski holidays
Spyderman, Razz Autoroute has the ski centre and our house programmed in its as easy to list the right answer as it is the approxamation. Razz
snow conditions
Megamum, as kids we always used to have a ball at Hillend when it snowed. Never noticed any downside to snow on the slope. And it was usually cold so quiet...
ski holidays
easiski, I'm at the office in Brentwood occasionally - is it worth a trip ? Will the t-pot work ? Wink Very Happy
PS. Didn't manage to get a photo for you but there was a class doing full-on t-pot turns at Chill Factore on Tuesday Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski wrote:

Megamum, If Brentwood is close to you, you really have no excuse. Get down there, join a class and then join the club. Very Happy It's not nearly as scary as some people make out.

Megamum, On return from my week skiing in L2A in March I decided to join my local dry slope and have generally managed to get along for an hour or so every week or two. It's skiing, outside and uninhibited, for me that's the only thing that really matters, plus you get to meet some fantastic people who share this passion, join in with club activities, put into practice all this fantastic advice you get on snowHead .............

You really must get along and give it a try - you'll love it and we'll enjoy reading all about it Smile wink
ski holidays
hyweljenkins wrote:
iblair, Matson is a God-awful slope - worse than the one at Pontypool, and that one's got a tree in the middle!

Why?

It's great after the rain and when it's cold and a bit more varied than many.

Only time I'd say it's god-awful is during the summer (day time) when it's warm, in those conditions the sprinklers only help a bit and it can get sticky patches at the bottom. S'not a problem IMHO if you stay within your limits though or are a reasonably competent skier. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy