Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne Montalbert - would it suit?

Poster: A snowHead
Any of our resident Montalbert experts care to take a stab at whether it would suit our group?

16 or so ranging from 2nd week to umpteen weeks with a wide range of wants (access to Les Arcs?)

mid 30's to mid 40's

Like a few beers in the evening but a couple of halfway decent bars would more than suffice

........and that's about it!

Also, does anyone know anything about 'La Vielle maison' ? ( Self catered chalet)

Thankyou kindly.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annie, I know a bit about La Plagne, but not a lot about Montalbert - it may well have some fantastic bars.
But you are right at the far end of La Plagne - as far from Les Arcs as you can get.
Look at the piste map.
If access to Les Arcs is important I would chose somewhere else.
Have a look at Les Coches or Montchavin.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go for 1800 or Plagne Centre for a bit more nightlife...but it's all relative and pretty dull compared to some of the Austrian resorts...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie,

Would agree with Jonpim, if you want access to Les Arcs Montalbert is not the place. Look at Montchavin or Les Coches. Stayed there a few times. Quite sopts but great spots for all round access to Paradski snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Annie, 'La Vielle maison' ? all I can tell you is that it was/is up for sale details here http://www.chalet2montagne.com/angindex.htm
I was in Montalbert at the begining of November and the building still had it's for sale signs attached to it.
Which company are you planning on going with?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-11-07 14:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Montalbert is about 1-1 1/2 hours good ski to the Vanoise link thats not far thats fun.......... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If people want to go over to Les Arcs I would gladly take them over- I regularly ski over to 1950 for a coffee and ski back ....very decadent.................. wink nice easy day out or they can join the Montalbert- Villaroger challenge
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Which company??? - I'm a snowhead, I book direct!!! snowHead

Or seriously, I found it on the Chalet -Montagne site. I realise it is for sale but unfortunately the budget doesn't stretch to that Sad and assume hopefully not too naively that even if it sells, this years bookings would be honoured. It fits the wish list in terms of no of bedrooms and bathrooms and meagre budget - I need to find out what the kitchen is like (I'll ask the owner if Montalbert gets near the top of the shortlist) as I put on 'the whites' for this week and take total responsibility for 'salmonella distribution' or preferably not. Interested to begin with in it's position. The blurb says a couple of hundred metres from the lift (Is this flattish or 'vertical' ..I've been caught that way before!) and close to the main pedestrianised area. My experience tells me that 'close' can also be a relative term.

I don't see the les arcs link as being a 'deal breaker' - it's not as though there isn't enough in La Plagne to keep your average intermediate and more happy for a week! Anyway a couple of hours doesn't sound too bad if treating it as a 'day out'

Nightlife of the dancin' til dawn kind is not a requirement but a couple of bars/restaurants would be nice for a change of scenery. I did look at a chalet in La Roche but suspect that even by our fairly insular ' this is a skiing, not apres holiday' standards this would be just a tad too quiet and can't seem to find it on any map so can't determine the local skiing .......of course someone may know different!

redrunmarcus, If this comes to anything we may well take you up on your offer! I'm quite keen to go back to La Plagne as this is where my son learnt to ski and I got back on planks after a long break 5 years ago.

Anyone know what the local ski school is like - the majority probably won't have lessons this time but there are definitely a few that would.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 17-11-07 18:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie, ITs a 2 min flat walk to the 4man chair-the only ski school is ESF...
2 bars 1 min from the chalet 1 rest opp free parking outside
if you look on the Montalbert town map it is opp CIS immobilier
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Annie, www.mountainheaven.co.uk has more details of the village
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oooohhhhh suits you Sir.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks - just found the village map and village details on mountain heaven....this is looking possible.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Annie, www.skiamis.com also have quite a few chalets in the village.
Also more details of veille maison here http://ski.assetz.co.uk/property-detail.htm?propID=2058 (Scroll down)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redrunmarcus, please tell us about the Montalbert-Villaroger challenge
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, It started with a comment made here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=753474#753474 Laughing

I'll probably make my first leisurely atempt on Dec 22nd Very Happy
latest report
boredsurfin, thank you. I wondered if there were an official event.
I hope to try this in January.
snow conditions
..... aaah ... Jonpim, ... now je comprend your reference to Villaroger and back ..... wink

... contre-la-montre... I have a cunning plan ....... Laughing
snow report
BernardC, does it involve skinning? Toofy Grin
latest report
BernardC, no you can't start in the middle......................high speed lifts not allowed !!!
snow report
Jonpim, Yes I will be running such a challenge last week in January as well as other dates in season. We could make it an official event though couldn't we guys?

Annie, mountain heaven come well recommended and are lovely apartments too if the big chalet option does not work out.

Couple of good bars in village and restaurants too. Even a night club although don't think any of us Montalbert heads have been?!!
snow report
HeyMouth, I.ve been a few times some of the live groups are good and the donner kebabs are awesome Toofy Grin
Yes I think we could make it a season long challenge
ski holidays
redrunmarcus, Could have guessed you may have sampled the delights!! Well you are there for a long time each year!!

Really looking forward to the Villaroger challenge. Did it with Chris 2 years ago on a hangover. Lunch in 1950 then straight up Aiguille Rouge and non stop down...yikes. This season I plan to be sober and enjoy even more!
snow report
No time for lunch on this one.......................... Toofy Grin
latest report
redrunmarcus, Mouth, Sounds like January 3/4 we could do it together Toofy Grin BernardC, can join in halfway Toofy Grin
snow report
redrunmarcus, well....boredsurfin, needs his food... especially of the cheese and potato variety Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mouth, Toofy Grin
Our biggest handicap will be the 09:15 opening of the Fornelet lift Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
boredsurfin, You kidding? Our biggest challenge will be getting boredsurfin, out of bed. You are usually cleaning your teeth just as that lift opens! Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, no probs at that time of year it will be a doddle to get there and back ....so what about the club the night before........ Skullie
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mouth, The teenager will want to come, so best start at 11:00 Laughing
redrunmarcus, I'm always up for a Donner Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Sounds like January 3/4 we could do it together

Any chance an old wrinkley plus 16 year old son can join you. . . ?
We are coming out by overnight train, arriving early morning Thursday the 3rd.

We are happy to join you in Montalbert, if that is the official start (piste map) - I reckon we could get there by 11:00 Toofy Grin
(Of course real Mountain Men like BernardC would start at Longefoy and yomp up to Montalbert Smile )

Want to join us another day for the Great Waffle Quest?
snow conditions
Jonpim, Brilliant! Very Happy We could do 3rd or 4th. 16 year old son can race 15 year old daughter!
The waffle quest ..well there are a few of us with 4x4's there that week wink We could drive round! Laughing
ski holidays
We could do 4th and will try to get babysitter organised

Jonpim, where are you staying?
snow conditions
Jonpim,
Quote:

(Of course real Mountain Men like BernardC would start at Longefoy and yomp up to Montalbert )

Surely he will skin up to the Route de Mairiers and then through the woods to Montalbert Toofy Grin
latest report
boredsurfin, how long would the drive take?
Is it worth trying a race à la Top Gear: skis versus 4x4 to the Waffle Place Puzzled
ski holidays
Jonpim, To be honest I dont know, Marcus or Mouth will have a better idea than me Very Happy A race sounds great fun snowHead
latest report
Don't see how you can ski to VT without driving to the 3V system -could get down to Champagny but have to get to Bride Les Bains as far as I can see
latest report
redrunmarcus, you not been doing your homework! rolling eyes
snow conditions
how can you have a Top gear type race if the skier has to use auto transport or am I missing the point Confused
latest report
redrunmarcus, stop being so picky rolling eyes
I mean: the vanois express or the the grand rochette gondola is just a bus on a cable rather than wheels.
And when Top Gear raced a car against a plane from France back to London they used the chunnel, rather than insisting the car drove across the channel.

More details of Top Gear races here.
snow report
Hey just go for it how do you invisage the ski and auto fitting together?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy