Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Back Country Touring & Avalanche Training - which course?

Poster: A snowHead
We're going to Whistler for Christmas and New Year and want to do lots of off piste.

We have been messing about off piste since last year, so I wouldn't say we are experienced, however we had the best fun of our lives following ski tracks where they shouldn't go off piste and wanted to take it to the next level of being shown where the exciting stuff can be found - I'm not talking about really extreme skiing down steep chutes that'll scare the cr@p out of us or walking for miles and being knackered before we even get to ski.

We want to get enough awareness of snow conditions, weather conditions, avalanche training etc, but not so we are doing that stuff all the time and no skiing.

There are definitely two of us, possibly 3 or even 5, depending if our friends have the inclination and guts to do it with us (and money probably has a factor in all this)

Please can you point out the best courses, ski schools etc either that we are part of a bigger group, or we can get it tailored to suit us just as cost effective.

looking at 3 - 5 days.

thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you aware of the differences between "in bounds" in the US/Canada and off piste in Europe??

If it were me I'd use my time in Whistler to ski as much in bounds powder as possible, and get an instruction course booked in Europe........thus maximising my time in Whistler...

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extremely Canadian will do yer. The Dave Murray lot as well if it's puking.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BTW there is essentially only one Ski School in Whistler, marketed in many different ways.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Escape route run backcountry courses IIRC - if its just about off piste skiing without necessarily the heavy safety tuition element then Extremely Canadian or Veeight's supergroups fit the bill.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
innerspaceservices - the ski school run avalanche awareness courses and also run "backcountry taster sessions"...

...but, frankly, I'm with the guys - everything within the boundary of the ski area (usually marked by a rope) is "in bounds" and will be avalanche controlled. This will include the pistes and the "off-piste" (unlike Europe).

This won't take away terrain hazards (rocks, drops, fences, trees, sleeping bears...) - but it largely takes away the need to worry about avalanche risk. (There's always a risk - but it's very small.)

The only thing to watch is that some areas within the ski area boundary are marked as "out of bounds" - this will be where there's a terrain hazard that's hard to spot until you're on top of it, or because there's a significant danger of causing an avalanche onto a piste below (despite them avalanche controlling it).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Escape route run backcountry courses IIRC...

Mr Snowy and I did an avalanche awareness course thru Escape Route in early 2005. It was Friday evening in the classroom, then Saturday and Sunday out on the slopes of Whistler and Blackcomb with both evenings back in the classroom. It gives a very good insight on how weather conditions affect the avalanche risk, with plenty of avalanche retriever locating practice too. You get to use skins and trek up Lakeside bowl and other places in the resort you wouldn't ordinarily go (because there are no lifts there).

However, the inbounds off-piste at Whistler is all avalanche controlled and whilst you still need to be careful after a huge overnight dump, you'd be very unlucky to get killed. Madeye-Smiley

I recommend the Dave Murray camp lessons. They have excellent instructors and love to seek out the off-piste, conditions permitting (i.e. not if it's rock solid) and they're such good fun. Smile (and they do apres and give away prizes!) They always take you to the best bits to ski on.

However, the Dave Murray camp only ski on Whistler mountain. If you want to ski lessons on Blackcomb, you'd need to do a supergroup lesson/Extremely Canadian/Ski Esprit lessons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

However, the Dave Murray camp only ski on Whistler mountain. If you want to ski lessons on Blackcomb, you'd need to do a supergroup lesson/Extremely Canadian/Ski Esprit lessons

Not true: My DM camp last year skied on Blackcomb (up Spankys and down the glacier) as well as on Whistler.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowy wrote:

However, the Dave Murray camp only ski on Whistler mountain

Yes, we've been on 'excursions' to Blackcomb too, once with Dr Death. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Acacia wrote:
My DM camp last year skied on Blackcomb (up Spankys and down the glacier) as well as on Whistler.

Which coach did you have? I gather no one was bothered about skiing the race course? I always end up with race addicts in my class. I'm always last in the race personally - scares me to death even after taking about 15 camps...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geetee, you're mad for following Dr Death anywhere! Mind you, keeping him in behind isn't ideal either; with his well-practiced class reduction techniques he'd happily ski over the top of you to steal your powder (which he's done to me on more than one occasion!). wink

Been on Whistler mountain with a supergroups guy a few years ago who didn't know one side of the mountain from the other. I made the mistake of suggesting we go down upper peak to creek on the icy day ever which nearly lost us a member of our group... eek! Skullie
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
Escape route run backcountry courses IIRC - if its just about off piste skiing without necessarily the heavy safety tuition element then Extremely Canadian or Veeight's supergroups fit the bill.

Its Whistler Alpine Guides Bureau (www.whistlerguides.com/) which is in the Escape Route shop.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
innerspaceservices, sorry to hijack your thread, but we are also there over Christmas and New Year and have booked on the Dave Murray camp starting on the 27th? - send me a PM if you want to meet up
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowy,

I had Tom Pro. - We couldn't do any gates because the Canadian Championships were being held at the time. We did get to see Eric Guay win the DH, though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having done a few DM camps at Whistler the above comments mirror my experience which is that although it is marketed to an extent as a "racing" camp, in fact you can end up doing very little (or no) time on the race track especially if (1) the snow elsewhere is good and (2) someone else is on the race track who has priority eg real racers. My expereince there is uniformly excellent and I plan another camp in January 08. Based on my experience I cant see how anyone who is prepared to learn cannot come out a better skier than they went in.
latest report
Quote:

(1) the snow elsewhere is good

Just to clarify - if there was a dump overnight, there are 2 (main) reasons why DM stays out of the gates, firstly, the opportunity to ski powder and explore off the groomers is too good to miss, plus this will challenge your skiing, learning and balance etc. much more than being in the gates, and secondly, much more importantly, the risks and dangers of injury in gate skiing in new/heavy/deep snow is greatly increased, so to keep everyone safe gate training is usually cancelled.
snow report
veeeight, what's your view on carrying avi gear for inbound skiing?
snow report
Speaking of WB in particular, in the last 5 years, we've only had around 2 major unexpected releases (and those were down to selfish/stupid skiers/snowboarders traversing in a permenantly closed area, and triggering a release which affected skiers lower down) - Class 2, one incident resulted in a broken femur.

So - in bounds, the risk is low, I personally never have carried any avi gear inbounds at WB, and I spend most (over 80%) of my time off piste.
ski holidays
something else to add to the list of gear in the avalanche kit

pocket tissues
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy