Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ultimate Avalanche Backpack - what to put in there

Poster: A snowHead
I have been compiling a list of stuff to carry in my backpack when going backcountry, please help me compile the ultimate list of gear:

Must have

Digital Tracker - told DTS tracker is the best
Metal collapsable shovel
Probe
mobile phone - with emergency telephone numbers preprogrammed
camel back water
lighter
torch
whistle
compass
radio (all on same frequency)
chocolate
fleece
balaclava
handwarmers
lipsyl (with spf)
suntan lotion
sunglasses
inner glove liners
3mm string/rope (can hold at least 200kg) - 10 - 15 metres
money (for taxi or bus if ending up miles from know-where
European NHS card - gives you free medical care in europe (get from url below) http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/Gettingtreatmentaroundtheworld/EEAandSwitzerland/DH_4114795

Optional

crampons
climbing pick
skins for bottom of skis
GPS (ie garmen)
flare
Climbing clips
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Duck tape, multitool.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpine guide; mates to help locate you and dig you out if the worst happens.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
small first aid kit - what does it include though?

Bandage
safety pins
plasters
antiseptic cream
?
?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scissors/cutting tool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Parachute.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last will & testament?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Analgesics.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Err....never done it but are Map and possibly a compass good suggestions?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, in theory, along with an idea on how to use them. But generally you should be with someone who knows the area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't put your tracker in your backpack.

Unless you want folk to find that and not you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tracker is best worn, rather than in backpack, with mobile phone switched off.
Latex Gloves, won't do any first aid without them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whatever else you take, take the sense to know when to turn back. One day the year before last, we'd been hiking up hill for between one and two hours in poor vis (5-10m) when our two guides had a bit of a conflab and started looking rather puzzled at their map. Our altimeters were now showing that we were higher than the peak we were heading for! As the only ground nearby at that altitude was marked on the map as being glaciated, the fair decision was made that we really shouldn't be there, so turned around and retraced our steps - very carefully - until we got back below the lowest point marked as having a glacier. The guides did make the point that the Italian maps were on the whole treated as much as artworks as factual documents, but there was no point in being cavalier about things.

Spare goggles/sunnies in case of breakage - I had a bad year last year and had to use the spare three times. You've sort of mentioned it, but I always carry spare gloves in case you drop one (or get saturated). I don't think I've ever skied with a radio though - I'd put that down as an optional (maybe work out a whistle code if you get separated).

If you're more than a few minutes away from the pistes, it's worth having at least one spare (powder) basket. Never needed it before, but we had two drop off in one day last year and the pole is completely useless without a basket. I'd also suggest, along with the duct tape and multitool (I used both last year), a few cable ties. Take up no space and can be used to hold a broken binding together if necessary.

I'd say your optionals are only for really serious days out - unless you're getting into climbing. Skins are only useful if you have touring bindings/adaptors - but if so they open up so many possibilites (the odd virgin pitch that noone else can get back out of as there's no lift back etc.) - I nearly always pack mine. If you are getting that adventurous though, and going onto glaciated terrain - although unadvisable without a guide, who'll then provide what's required: one harness each, and rope, icescrews, a few karabiners and a couple of slings/prussics between the group (preferably one set carried by each of two people). Training on how to use them to get yourself and ANOther out of a crevasse.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Food, survival bag, towel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jelly babies, hip flask.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:

used mine for the first time last week when I bandaged my girlfriends finger, cut one of the fingers off and put it over the bandage.
latest report
spare bottle of water for when camelback freezes up
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
Spyderman wrote:

used mine for the first time last week when I bandaged my girlfriends finger, cut one of the fingers off and put it over the bandage.

Amputation is a bit drastic for just a cut finger Shocked
snow report
Disposable barbeque, kebabs
snow report
Bode Swiller, that's slumming it a bit. White tie, tails and a candelabra.

http://www.shelford.net/formaldinner/gallery.html

(Apparently they've since been beaten, but by the cheat of hanging below a hot air balloon).
ski holidays
A battery powered hairdrier is very useful for creating an air-space if you're burried by an avalanche.
snow conditions
Quote:

GrahamN:I always carry spare gloves in case you drop one (or get saturated).

I second that - a mate of mine dropped one of his gloves into the chemical toilet at the top station in La Grave. The drop resulted in a very saturated glove. Very Happy

Poor bloke had to fish it out and waer it for the rest of the day (personally I might have gone for the alternative of severe frostbite).

Needless to say he always carries a pair of spare gloves now.
snow report
A plumbline? So you know which way to start digging after your dizzying tumble down the hill. Toofy Grin

How about a hand glider? wink
latest report
A butler.
snow report
A body bag. Actually, scrap that, it shouldn't go in the pack - you should wear it, cut arm and leg holes. If you're expecting to be avalanched this badly it'll save time.
snow conditions
Common sense pack.
snow conditions
Spare batteries for your Tracker (which you have practiced using)
A memory of the resort Avalanche report, or the previous few weeks snowfall and weather (Wind direction, temperature, depthe of fall etc.)
Mobile phone off but in an inner pocket.
Check the weight of your pack too - if you've got 20kg of kit you might set a slide off just by your increased body weight.

I can recommend Guy Willet and Kenton Kool's Avalanche talk snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

Spare batteries for your Tracker (which you have practiced using)

I've always been told to put a new set in at the beginning of each holiday and then forget, you shouldn't have to change batteries during the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
A butler.
Laughing Laughing
snow report
Pork Pie and a Toffee Crisp Toofy Grin
ski holidays
T Bar, The decay curve for batteries is not linear, and in cold weather they have a faster rate of loss. Once you have got down to 50% you rapidly arrive at 0%, so I would never say fit & forget. Check every day, especially if you forget to turn your tranciever overnight. I say your advisedly - just looking at buying a Traker at ther mom!nt.
latest report
Martin Nicholas,
I'll have a look but I'm pretty sure that several guides have told me to fit and forget as well as the instructions on my transceiver. I do a check each morning though. Also don't most transceivers get turned off when you take them off?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
A body bag. Actually, scrap that, it shouldn't go in the pack - you should wear it, cut arm and leg holes. If you're expecting to be avalanched this badly it'll save time.

You are DG and I claim my £5.
ski holidays
Some form of multi tool to adjust bindings. Was caught in an avalanche, two members lost skis so four of us skied out on one ski each, which meant re-adjusting bindings.
snow conditions
tried to post an addition - didn't appear, anyway this was it

Pocket Tissues, don't want to get caught short.

Girlies might want to include a shewee. it is a female weeing tool, I have one and use it all the time, no hovering over portaloos or crouching down in a bowl where everyone can see you, chair lifts above etc - pee like a man!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
innerspaceservices, Unless it's very, very cold Laughing
ski holidays
LOL, I guess we only have to worry about a cold bum.
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
innerspaceservices, Unless it's very, very cold Laughing

Oh yeah, that reminds me- a magnifying glass and pair of tweezers.
snow conditions
Martin Nicholas, the tracker DTS tells you what percentage your batteries are at when you turn it on, and recommends that you swap them below a certain value.

I always do a transciever check at the start of each off piste day anyway.
ski holidays
I thought of some additional stuff

camera
wet wipes
neurofen /ibubrofen
Canesten Oasis

for the girls - they might want to take some Canesten Oasis, I can't think of anything worse than getting a bladder infection on the mountain, it also contains Sodium Citrate, (which is salt)

I suffer from it when I am hot and dehydrated, it has nothing to do with being clean or dirty, might be possibly caused by binge drinking or lack of salt aswell. I might even suggest that us girls drink cranberry juice for breakfast.

btw orange juice is really bad for your liver, so don't drink too much of it guys, especially if you are battering your liver with alchohol already.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy