Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teenager first time skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is joining me on my ski trip at Easter. We are going with 3 other families and friends making a party of 18 (7 kids ranging from 3yrs to 14yrs). It will be her first real ski holiday and I intend to book her in to ski school. She will be nearly 15 when we go so should I arrange for her to join an adult beginner class or a kids beginner class? Would ESF be the thing to do (we are going to Les Gets)? Alternatively I have considered private tuition but this may be hideously expensive. The other kids in our party are all more advanced than her having skied for 3 or 4 years. I feel she may be hacked off learning with kids but wonder whether the adult class might push her too hard.

Cross-fora - should I equip her with a helmet and would standard hire skis be ok (length? She is about 5' tall)?

Feeling a bit anxious because I want her to enjoy herself and get the most out of the week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
halfhand, Get her down your local dryslope and give her a head start. Should be reasonably cheap too, and she's got plenty of time between now and when you go to "find her feet".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are in Merseyside, a trip to the new Trafford Chill Factore slope?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand - Les Gets is relatively expensive for privates (around 50-80 euros an hour) and, to be honest, I think you're better off learning in a group if you're a beginner.

Personally, I'd recommend sticking her into an adults class as the childrens lessons I shadowed last year didn't have many above the age 10.

There's plenty of time before Easter, so a set of lessons at the Chill FactorE or Castleford would more than repay the effort.

Without wishing to ignite the ESF versus British instructor thing - BASS Les Gets are very good. Maximum of six per class and an English speaking instructor. ESF have a "flexible" view of class sizes at busy periods - 10 is not uncommon, 12 likely and 15 the biggest I've seen. And they do pull old instructors out of retirement at peak times.

If you do want to go the private route, then I know a good British instructor who does privates in Les Gets - Joe Beer. I'm having lessons with him myself over Christmas.

Booking lessons at Easter - any lessons - will be hell. Decide quickly and book now.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's a busy time, as Easter will be, I imagine there will be enough people going to ski school for them to have a class of beginners near her age. But as veeeight, suggests, I would get down to CFe and book in for a course of lessons. From memory I think it's £150 for 3 1hr 50 lessons. Sounds like a lot but she'll get so much more out of the holiday so well worth it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand, 15 year olds will probably be taught in adult classes. But there may be a teenage class during school holidays.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, As other's have mentioned, you've got a bit of time on your side, so try and get her booked into some lessons in the uk first. Cfe would be the obvious choice, given your location, or possibly Stoke,Rossendale,Kendal are the other 'local' dry slopes.
See if there are any group lessons starting, something like 1hr per week until easter would be a real benefit.

The next session's at Kendal will be starting 1st week of the new year, works out at £12 per hour inc. tuition.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
the adult class might push her too hard.
not unless she's a particularly unathletic and unadventurous 15 year old it won't. The adult class might be slow and boring, more like. Especially if there are 12 people (or more) trying to do their snowploughs. I would agree with the recommendation for BASS. Good instructors, small classes, and quite likely she could get in with people her age. As for ski length, around shoulder height should be fine. Another possibility, if the other kids her age in the group are all much stronger skiers, would be for the whole lot of them to have snowboard lessons together as beginners. Unless the others are already good at that, too! At that age, being the beginner of the group might be a bit tough unless someone else is learning with her.

Dry slope instruction would be great, but only if she is fairly motivated and keen. People who are easily discouraged can be less than enthusiastic about sliding round on plastic, which hurts if you fall on it. Depends such a lot on the individual's personality. What does she think about the options?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i advise definatly not to go in childrens classes, as someone has mentioned their all much younger children. I think you should get some dry slope/snow dome lessons in beforehand to learn basic snowplough, getting on lifts etc it will be a worthwhile investment when your out there. She will progress much quicker and may even be in class 1 which is above begginer when she gets there. if she has already mastered the snowplough. dpending on whether you have lessons in the uk and how quick she develops.

This will ultimatly make a better experience for all of you as in the afternoon you will be able to go up the mountain and not be on the nursery slopes all week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand wrote:
My daughter is joining me on my ski trip at Easter. . . She will be nearly 15 when we go . . The other kids in our party are all more advanced than her having skied for 3 or 4 years
I presume the kids all get on well.
Then your daughter is going to want to go out with the other kids. She is going to feel left out if they are dashing about the piste while she is stuck in ski school.
Private lessons may seem expensive, but they are actually far better value. The one-to-one attention means your daughter in a few days will be up with those who have been skiing before. Sell a few candlesticks and go for Private lessons. She's worth it. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand, In a big ski school you won't actually get to chose whether she goes with kids or adults - they'll put her with the adults at 15 anyway. You've had very good advice so far in this thread, so I highly recommend you follow it. You do seem a bit anxious - is she not keen?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, yes she is keen, its just me whose anxious (plus getting a bit of earache from SO about looking after her whilst away). I'm just a natural worrier. She is a very self-confident person and is prepared to have a go at anything really.

Yes thanks for all the advice everyone, my fears are allayed. I will definitely check out Chillfactore.

PhillipStanton, thanks esp for the comment on BASS

Here's hoping we all have a great season snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And ESF classes are not always big - last year, at February half term, my friends daughter was in a group class that consisted of her and the instructor at the beginning of the week and gained two french lads after a couple of days. It wasn't a beginners group though, she was doing her gold. This was at Tignes La Breviere. We have found ESF variable - sometimes very good and sometimes very bad depending on the school.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy