Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weather Outlook Thread

brian
brian
Anybody fancy a thread for pointless speculation and guesswork about the upcoming weather ? wink

A cold front heading towards the alps from the NW tonight. Northern French alps and Switzerland look set for up to 20-30 cm, the further North you are the better. Freezing levels well down, should be snow all the way above 1000m with the snow line dropping right down by morning.

The giant Tyrolean snow magnet seems to have been switched off but they should still get snow on and off most of tomorrow with maybe 10cm or so accumulating.

Further out, the theme is high pressure building to the west or north west of the UK on Sunday, sending low pressure (and snow !) sinking down across Europe heading for them there mountains early next week Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Amen to that!

Staying cold through to the end of November by the looks of it too.

That is all. Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Anybody fancy a thread for pointless speculation and guesswork about the upcoming weather

Oh yes, always up for that. Sounds good so far! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tops - loved this banter last year - whatever happened to carled - i seem to remember some massive barny occuring Puzzled

Have noticed that there appears to be a chance of a big dump for France next tuesday/wednesday - still quite far off - but fingers crossed!

About time France had some of Austria's fun!

Ta
Matt
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hundred up - wahey!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks to be staying cold snowHead

The resorts know the long term conditions. Like up in Plagne centre they have the cannons on at the moment. They wouldn't waste their time if they thought it was going to warm up. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mattmulkeen, quality not quantity wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meteo france is alot more optimistic than snow forecast for the western alps:

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/bulNeige.jsp?LIEUID=DEPT73
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cham forecast is promising as well...

CHAMONIX VALLEY AND MONT-BLANC AREA WEATHER FORECAST
ISSUED AT 08:50 TUESDAY NOVEMBER 13 2007
VALID FROM : TUESDAY NOVEMBER 13 -- UNTIL : SUNDAY NOVEMBER 18 2007
GENERAL SYNOPSIS
High 1030 hpa, west of Ireland with ridge 1025 hpa towards Southwestern France, weakening. Low 1007 hpa, Iceland. Linked disturbance will reach Northern Alps in the end of afternoon.
TODAY - TUESDAY NOVEMBER 13 2007
Hazy sunshine in the morning - Cloudy in the afternoon
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : partly cloudy to cloudy in the morning - high clouds - cloudy to mostly cloudy in the afternoon - period of sunshine close to 30%.
PRECIPITATIONS : snowfall beginning in the evening - rain-snow limit towards 800 m.
WIND - ground level : calm.
- mid mountain : N -> SW light.
- high mountain : NW moderate to strong.
TEMPERATURE : min -2°C - maxi +2°C.
ISOTHERM 0°C : 1000 m.
ISOTHERM -10°C : 3000 m.
OVERNIGHT
Overcast - snowy
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud) : mostly cloudy to overcast.
PRECIPITATIONS : snowfall - rain-snow limit towards 500 m - expected snowfall towards 1500 m : 10-15 cm..
WIND - aloft : NW moderate to strong.
TEMPERATURE : -3°C.
TOMORROW - WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 14
Snowy and cold
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : mostly cloudy to overcast - period of sunshine close to 0%.
PRECIPITATIONS : snowfall in the morning - afternoon showers - rain-snow limit towards 500 m - expected snowfall towards 1500 m : 10-15 cm..
WIND - aloft : NW moderate to strong.
TEMPERATURE : min -4°C - max -2°C.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I predict 40 cm of snow for Glencoe in scotland on the-hmm lets see-17th of December! Hows that for speculation?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mattmulkeen, I'm alive, well and lurking in wait for the start of the season proper... keep the tin helmets ready... wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

keep the tin helmets ready

DING DING - ROUND ONE Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anybody fancy giving me some blindly optimistic forecasts for upcoming snow in Andorra?
taking a chance on 14th Dec flight for a cheeky weekend, when should i think about binning it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wrongsideof30-now! Haha only joking, alot can happen in a month, its slowly getting colder and the snow will fall this week, in all fairness only around 4 cm-give it time!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
p.s temp in soldeu today 14degrees celcius!
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Grand Valira website today, snow forecast tomorrow and the next day
snow report
Please, please keep this thread alive! snowHead
ski holidays
So anyone care to guess if all this snow is a false dawn, will it get wiped out by a warm spell, or is this going to be a fantastic season....
snow report
GFS forecasts French Alps to be colder than average for the next four or five days, then beyond that it gets into the realm of Fantasy Island. I don't see the snow from the last 24 hours disappearing within the next 24 hours, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we don't see a warm spike in the second half of the month.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Today's GFS runs have moved everything west, quite a long way west in fact Puzzled which is very un-GFS like, quite often features get shifted east run to run. Anyway, the result looks pretty horrible for the alps, setting up a big foehn wind most of next week.

All a bit bizarre, I'm interested to see how much support this has in the ensemble and from the other models. The UK met stuck firmly to its guns last night (and the fax charts stay pretty close to it so they seem reasonably confident they've got it right) and ECM was pretty ok as well.
ski holidays
<positive>
Surely a warm up, melt, then re-freeze would be ideal for setting down a good base?
<positive>
snow conditions
brian, does this mean that the support is there for a fohen wind or not? Kaprun has a high glacier but im not up for sunbathing.. can you see roughly what level the freezing point will reach? thanks Puzzled Shocked
snow report
 brian
brian
harrymac wrote:
brian, does this mean that the support is there for a fohen wind or not?

Not yet.

Quote:

Kaprun has a high glacier but im not up for sunbathing.. can you see roughly what level the freezing point will reach? thanks Puzzled Shocked

Latest run would be something like ... baltic freezing for the next few days, then round about 2000m by Sunday, maybe 2500-3000m in the middle of the day for a few days after that.
latest report
what the hells a fohen wind - sounds like something from Narnia Confused

That USAF picture shows more snow for next week!

Am I clutching here? Puzzled
snow report
 brian
brian
Mattmulkeen, warm wind from the south, any moisture gets squeezed out of the air on its way up the southern side of the mountains and the air is consequently even warmer when it blows down the other side. It's a horrible big snow-stripping hairdryer .... boo !
snow conditions
Mattmulkeen, Worse thn a skiers worse nitemare, think of hour waits at the lifts, lifts breaking down and multiply that a thousand times...... then u have arrived. Sad
snow report
brian, from the "alternative" Chamonix forecasters suggesting very cold till Sunday, Monday with possible foehn preceding another disturbance. They are saying that their forecast confidence is very low...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
David Murdoch, not as low as mine Laughing

I wouldn't put any store at all in anything beyond Saturday at the moment.
snow report
 brian
brian
The UK met's midday run is out, it hasn't followed the gfs* and sticks with a reasonably promising scenario for early next week. ECM should be out soon.

* GFS 12z operational was a markedly mild outlier as well, see green line below way above the rest.

ski holidays
Quote:

The UK met's midday run is out, it hasn't followed the gfs*

Thank GoD - Snow stripping hair dryers - what the hell wink
ski holidays
brian, What models do snow forecast.com follow, as you said earlier freezing levels at almost 3000m according to their prediction.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
harrymac, snow-forecast, metcheck and TWO all use GFS.
snow report
Oh damn - -there goes my dreaming of a perfect winter! Still, even if right, plenty of time to change!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 15-11-07 0:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
afcbtim wrote:
Oh damn - -there goes my dreamomg of a perfect winter! Still, even if right, plenty of time to change!

I think it's probably a bit premature to be writing off the winter as we're still actually in the autumn Wink
latest report
rob@rar, What i meant to say was perfect start to the season! I'm tired and my eyesight is going too as can be seen from my creative spelling you kindly quoted before I could edit it!

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Chamonix Meteo this morning:

EXTENDED OUTLOOK (from Sunday) UNTIL TUESDAY NOVEMBER 20 2007
Sunday : sunny - getting milder. Monday and Tuesday : disturbance approaching from the west - possible fœhn wind condition - outlook is uncertain.
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Saturday, poor thereafter.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
GFS 06z rolling now and looking much more believable, hopefully it's got yesterday's lsd induced runs out of its system. Does look like some kind of warmer spell next week but nothing to be overly worried about.

So to summarise, very cold right across the alps in the next couple of days with any remaining snow showers dying out, warming up to something like average for the time of year (and it is still autumn as rob points out) through the weekend. Still major uncertainty heading into next week.
snow report
brian, metcheck suggesting rain for Thursday...what do you reckon?
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

Metcheck were predicting rain for alpe d'huez all this week Puzzled

snowHead
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen, oops. I imagine it's been snowing instead? It is darn chilly out here, north wind - the Bise
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy