Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot passengers on Vanoise Express from Les Arcs to La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know the cost of a return foot passenger trip? Also what time the last one back to Peisey is?

We're going to Vallandry (Feb half term) and having taken advice from various of you guys I reckon I won't be up to skiing on the "other side" - apart from that I am having lessons every day, so time is limited for excursions. However someone said that the trip's worthwhile for the sightseeing if the weather's clear and I do fancy that one afternoon - there was also mention of a restaurant near the Montchavin side lift station & I wondered if it'd be worth going over for a teatime cuppa, maybe to meet my friends if they have been over for a day out. The "Discovery" lift pass is 13 Euros dearer than the Les Arcs area pass, so am wondering whether to get that anyway, or whether a single trip just on the lift's cheaper?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, I found prices for walkers in the summer here.

Can't find prices for walkers in winter. The peissey-vallandry site only has winter stuff. As it stands it suggests the Discovery pass is good value.

There is a restaurant near the lift on the Montchavin side. But if you have gone to the trouble of paying for the trip across, why not have a little ski? There are lots of other restaurants to visit. And lots of lovely easy runs to do. My kids learnt to ski on the slopes above Montchavin-Les Coches. Enjoy. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On our first trip, my wife and I found ourselves down by the Express. We only had La Plagne passes so I went to enquire about costs. Shock has made me forget the exact amount, but I think somewhere in the 50€ region... so that pass sounds like very good value to me Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, although I've not seen yoyu ski I'm sure that you'll be able to get around on the La Plagne side of the lift if only to ski around Montchavin a bit. From what i can remember the slopes there are fairly gentle.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, I was told that the run down to the lift on the Montchavin side is icy and definitely not for those of a nervous disposition! We were offered decent priced accommodation in Les Coches, but after a bit of research decided Vallandry would be better, esp for my level.

From those summer prices, it certainly seems like the Discovery might well be worth buying. 13 Euros isn't that much to lose if I ended up NOT using it for whatever reason, and it gives me the freedom to ski over there if that seemed sensible, after taking the NewGen instructor's advice on it.

TallTone, was that for a day's Les Arcs skiing pass as well as the crossing?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier, maybe so. I hurried away before my credit card got near enough to the reader.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, err the top half of Xscape's slope is still rather a challenge! But maybe after a few days out there of lessons & confidence building...?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NewSkier,
Quote:

Jonpim, I was told that the run down to the lift on the Montchavin side is icy and definitely not for those of a nervous disposition! We were offered decent priced accommodation in Les Coches, but after a bit of research decided Vallandry would be better, esp for my level.

Iciness is very variable and frequently a function of how recently it has snowed. If you are concerned about it ask someone at the time what it is like, my memories of the skiing to Montchavin are that it was icy one year and fine the other of the two times I've been, but this is only a vague recollection.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The run down to the vanoise, is never fun. I wouldn't take someone who has skied as little as you have there, purely because they wouldnt enjoy it and might get put off. We had a great season snow wise, but that one was always icy and loses the sun quite early.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkier wrote:
I was told that the run down to the lift on the Montchavin side is icy and definitely not for those of a nervous disposition
It can be, but not so likely in February.
Lots of people do end up struggling on the short "red" section just above Montchavin (piste map) - only really red when icy - but if you stick to the blue runs and amble across to Les Coches and back, you can get down to Montchavin without any hairy moments.
Or you could take the short gondola down. And walk past the aromatic cowsheds to the chairlift. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
The run down to the vanoise, is never fun. I wouldn't take someone who has skied as little as you have there, purely because they wouldnt enjoy it and might get put off. We had a great season snow wise, but that one was always icy and loses the sun quite early.

According to www.perso-laplagne.fr that run now has snowmaking installed for the coming season Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 12-11-07 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
NewSkier, €10,50 return.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, thanks - not much diff to the €13 supplement on the Discovery.

boredsurfin, Now that sounds interesting!

Seems like the Discovery pass is going to be the way to go to keep options open at a reasonable price. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, I skiied to the Vanoise Express from Plagne Villages in March 2006, when I was very much a nervous novice, & much worse than I am now (& those of you who've seen me ski will confirm that this would be very inept indeed!). I really didn't find it difficult at all - in fact, it was a very confidence-building experience Very Happy But we did have fabulous snow, which I'm sure made all the difference! So IMO the best idea would be to buy the Discovery pass & see what the conditions are like on a day-to-day basis. If you get a lovely snow-dump like we did, I think you would be able to ski over on the La Plagne side quite easily snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jo225, thanks Smile That's really encouraging.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
NewSkier, although I've not seen yoyu ski I'm sure that you'll be able to get around on the La Plagne side of the lift if only to ski around Montchavin a bit. From what i can remember the slopes there are fairly gentle.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

The run down into Montchavin is lovingly known as the icy wall of death and having skied it a lot it genuinely can be treacherous. Depending on the snow conditions you can avoid the main run by follwing a run that takes you over the Les Coches direction and then arrives at the top of the Montchavin run as part of a farm track.

Personally if you want to expereince the La Plagne side and do a little exploring you would be better taking the very gentle run across from the Vanoise to the gondoal lift in Les Coches, take that up and then ski down to the Bijolin lift. Take that up and if feeling a little adventerous ski down to the Salla lift take that up and ski across the top of that area under the Arpette lift. Lovely nice run here. Then come back. The run back from Plagne Bellecote to the Vanoise is a fablous run.

Don't listen to the boring peole here Toofy Grin . Buy the Paradski pass and get across the Vanoise. We use it every day. Great fun.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Nadenoodlee wrote:

According to www.perso-laplagne.fr that run now has snowmaking installed for the coming season Very Happy

While they have had a new resevoir built up top the issue the run faces is that it doesn't get a lot of sunshine and the man made snow turns to ice. We stayed in La Bovate that over looks the run into Montchavin the last 2 years. Last year the run wasn't open but the year beofre it was and it was mostly man made snow and it was great fun wathcing people ski the run from the chalet. We became experts at the 'one turn' slide 100 yards ice skiing technique. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
gwaelod wrote:
you would be better taking the very gentle run across from the Vanoise to the gondoal lift in Les Coches, take that up and then ski down to the Bijolin lift. Take that up and if feeling a little adventerous ski down to the Salla lift take that up and ski across the top of that area under the Arpette lift. Lovely nice run here. Then come back.

It's the "then come back" that worries me - what if I got stuck with the nerves saying NO WAY JOSE! Shocked could I get back to the Vanoise via a really easy route , bearing in mind the end of day tiredness (lessons in the morning - playtime afternoons!), or possibly via a lift on foot?
ski holidays
NewSkier wrote:
gwaelod wrote:
you would be better taking the very gentle run across from the Vanoise to the gondoal lift in Les Coches, take that up and then ski down to the Bijolin lift. Take that up and if feeling a little adventerous ski down to the Salla lift take that up and ski across the top of that area under the Arpette lift. Lovely nice run here. Then come back.

It's the "then come back" that worries me - what if I got stuck Shocked could I get back to the Vanoise via a really easy route , bearing in mind the end of day tiredness (lessons in the morning - playtime afternoons!), or possibly via a lift on foot?

Yes. If you look at a piste map the runs above the Vanoise through the trees back (the run is called Pierres Blanches) to the Vanoise is lovely and not hard. The runs the La Plagne side are no harder than Les Arcs.

Sorry just added. If staying in Arc 1800 and a novice tied up in lessons in the morning then worth thinking about going across one day but don't get hung up on the idea. I was lying the runs Les Arcs side are better Laughing wink
latest report
NewSkier, the runs that gwaelod is suggesting are the ones I had in mind - not difficult at all in decent conditions. You might not feel like going all the way to Plagne Bellecote & back in an afternoon, but you can always go a little way up & then turn back. It is indeed a nice run, though, & you never know, after a few more lessons... snowHead
latest report
gwaelod, I'm not that bothered the La Plagne side, I think the skiing around Vallandry will do me fine. It's just that I am going with friends who may go exploring & meeting them "the other side" may be an attractive thought for one afternoon towards the end of the week, and I am also a sucker for great views from cable cars!!

I'd be satisfied with a foot-passenger trip, which is why I was asking about the prices, as I have to order my lift pass shortly and so need to decide which one to get (LA only or Discovery), but the information on the practicalities of skiing over there, coupled with asking my instructor's advice about conditions at the time, means I just might take the skis...
ski holidays
NewSkier,

Why are you ordering your lift pass now? Biggest tour operator con. Wait till you get to the resort. No difference in price and leave the money in your bank account Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
NewSkier,

To wet your appetite

View from Les Arcs to La Palgne

Les Arcs Side

La Plagne Side

Looking towards Les Arcs

snow conditions
gwaelod, wow, thanks for the pics - stunnning! I'm only pre-ordering the lift pass and skis; I pay for them on arrival in resort - just convenient - no queuing at the lift pass office as the pass will be with the apartment keys!. We're staying in the Presles apts in Vallandry - the end furthest from Peisey.
snow report
Incidentally the pre-order prices I have are for 6 days, adult (in Euros):

Lift Passes
Les Arcs only: €198
Discovery: €211
Paradiski: €237

Skis (no boots)
Black: €78
Red: €68
Blue: €57
Green: €46

Does this seem fair?
snow conditions
NewSkier, passes are the same price as on the Les Arcs website.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier wrote:
Incidentally the pre-order prices I have are for 6 days, adult (in Euros):

Lift Passes
Les Arcs only: €198
Discovery: €211
Paradiski: €237

Skis (no boots)
Black: €78
Red: €68
Blue: €57
Green: €46

Does this seem fair?

Those lift pass prices are the standard prices offered by the lift pass company. Are your prices from your Tour Operator?
latest report
NewSkier, passes are the same price as on the Les Arcs website.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Yes they are by the SkiAmis from whom we are renting the apartment (Presles).
snow report
rob@rar,

The TO's charge the exact same as on the website not 1 penny difference. Sad Mad We buy when we get to resort.
snow conditions
NewSkier,

Look a little map of the village for you with an arrow where you will be snowHead Cool You are only a short hop across to the Vallnadry chair lift and the joys of the amazing Agile red run. Don't let the red bit scare you. Its wider the the M25 and both carraigways snowHead

http://www.peisey.com/admin/repertoire/carte2.asp?n=266

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-11-07 23:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gwaelod wrote:
rob@rar,

The TO's charge the exact same as on the website not 1 penny difference. Sad Mad We buy when we get to resort.

I think you can buy online and have the passes posted to you. I get my season passes posted to me in the UK - system seems to work as it should.
ski holidays
gwaelod wrote:
NewSkier,

Look a little map of the village for you with an arrow where you will be snowHead Cool You are only a short hop across to the Vallnadry chair lift and the joys of the amazing Agile red run. Don't let the red bit scare you. Its wider the the M25 and both carraigways snowHead

http://www.peisey.com/admin/repertoire/carte2.asp?n=266

Thanks for the link - but me on a red?? - choke, cough Shocked. Think I prefer cooler colours like green and blue but your faith in me is touching and I do like the sound of M25 width wink
snow report
NewSkier, as others have already pointed out, you can order your pass on=line and get it sent to you.
Fun to do, and you don't half feel smug when you arrive in the resort with your pass already in your pocket.
Once you have that pass, don't lose it: you can top it up on-line any time from there on.
snow conditions
Jonpim, like the idea, but means I have to part with the cash sooner!

Just come across this, which looks a really useful supplement to the piste map for me to take along - do you generally agree/disagree with their comments?

http://www.skibeat.co.uk/content.asp?topic=LesArcsPisteGuide

To be honest, in terms of information content, the Alps resorts could take a lesson from the new website for Kopaonik in Serbia. I thought it was good last year, but even more has been added this year. They seem to take note of feedback in the resort too - lots of people that I spoke to said they would respond that the piste map needed to be clearer. There is now a choice and one is extremely clear - no magnifying glass needed to see this, unlike the Paradiski one that I have been given! http://www.eng.infokop.net/ski-tracks-and-lifts/ski-tracks-and-lifts.html. For each ski run there is a description and a selection of photos too. There's also a gallery where there are tons of photos, including mine http://gallery.infokop.net/main.php?g2_itemId=9970.
latest report
NewSkier,

Would not worry to much about checking runs out before you go. The fun of skiing is asking people when you get there. Don't agree to much wiht the ski beat comments as some of the reds are actually very achievable by novice skiers as they are so widdddeeeeeeeeeee. Wait till you see them. snowHead
snow report
gwaelod, Very Happy but I'm getting so excited about going that I'm after all the info!! And you're almost persuading me that I might make a red one day, whatever next ? Shocked
snow report
NewSkier wrote:
gwaelod, Very Happy but I'm getting so excited about going that I'm after all the info!! And you're almost persuading me that I might make a red one day, whatever next ? Shocked

I am willing to place a bet with you that if you are staying in 1800 and have booked lessons and are not first time skiers, if not on the first day at the latest second day the instructor will have you doing some of the reds. Think you will find the instructor helps/persuades you to do the reds Razz Razz Laughing Laughing

Have a look at the webcams here

http://www.lesarcs.com/Webcams-GB-Les-Arcs#b

Only Grizzly is turned on at present but also click on the 'Experience @ 360' button on the lift. Some great aerial views of Les Arcs
snow conditions
This is also an alternative Madeye-Smiley
www.acro-base.com/fr/imgs/galerie/video/videos/paradi-sky2.mov
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
This is also an alternative Madeye-Smiley
www.acro-base.com/fr/imgs/galerie/video/videos/paradi-sky2.mov

Brilliant! Thanks for the link.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy