Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GPS all things to all men

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a GPS that will drive me from the UK to a resort in France, then let me carry it around the slopes for a day (say 6 hours skiing) recording my route (showing a map/navigation stuff would be nice but not primary use, I want it as a datarecorder mostly, not on-slope navigation)

The tomtoms seem to have only a few hours battery life away from a car, things like the Garmain eTrex last 18+hours, but don't do the "turn left" bit.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes, you can get a PDA with GPS built in that will do what you want....take a 2nd battery and swop over at lunchtime Smile

The one I know off are HP iPAQ 6915, Nokia N95, htc p3300 (sold in the UK as T-Mobile MDA Compact III and O2 XDA Orbit)

Or just use a "normal" PDA with bluetooth GPS receiver (although that then means 2 things to charge)

Then add TomTom with maps of Western Europe to them, and some GPS tracking software like http://www.navideo.de/ or http://www.activetrace.com/

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I recommend one of these:

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, does it record data? Shock
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bh1, yes, as long as you have a pen.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My hubby had a habit of frequently ignoring the TomTom's instructions to turn L or R - claimed he just hadn't heard it. So I tried an experiment and swapped it from a female to a male voice and now he seems to hear it better. Doesn't listen to me either, half the time rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whats this.....

Left turn ahead
right turn ahead
Left turn ahead
right turn ahead
Left turn ahead
right turn ahead
Left turn ahead
right turn ahead
Left turn ahead
right turn ahead
Left turn ahead
right turn ahead...?

slalom skiing with sat nav!!!!
Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
daehwons, "return to gate"
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fragglerock wrote:
Is there a GPS that will drive me from the UK to a resort in France,

AFAIK, GPS units don't drive. They merely pass on instructions wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For recording, I'd reccomend SportsDo (www.sportsdo.com) - runs on most mobile phones, and will record shedloads of info. Bluetooth the phone to a GPS receiver, and you're all set.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat -SPORTSDO is another way someone to take your money form your pocket for something which others provide free of charge.
TO fragglerock - BEST thing is to take Nokia N95 or any other smartphone and buy an external gps receiver( 30-40£ of Ebay) if you want to have accurate readings.The build in GPS on N95 is boll***s. Install this--- http://research.nokia.com/research/projects/SportsTracker/ ----give you lots of info for your runs(average speed, max speed, distance, time ,est. ) and i think is doing much better job than SportsDo and is FREE (if you don’t want to upload information of your runs on the website and have your friends using sportsdo website to look at it and admire ...blah, blah ).Also you can use it for any other sport acctivity.

For all others interested in GPS software : http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html (scroll down to see the list of available software absolutely FREE )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SERJOE, thank you for your correction. I've had sportsdo for about 18 months now, when I bought it, it fitted my requirements - cycling & skiing. I've used it sailing as well. Since buying it, I haven't really been looking at what else was out there, but I will now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat
I was also thinking of getting SportsDo before i found that nokia is doing the same software ( i am sure the ppl behind SportsDo done their software on the base on the nokia one) which is doing all the same things and is more accurate about the speed form the SportsDo ( i run the trial for a mile)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would like the one featured on the Armstrong and Miller show.

It makes its own observations and offers opinions as you drive through the High Street.

Their particular model seemed to make a lot of sense.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for that SERJOE, I've just downloaded the SportsTracker software to my N95, not sure how accurate the results will be with the inbuilt GPS but it's worth a try at that price Very Happy
latest report
FenlandSkier the build-in is a bit slow and sometimes struggles to get a grip with the satellites . It still works but i haven't tried on the mountains so can’t tell. you can also try this http://www.wayviewer.de/en/gpsviewer.html its similar but i think you need gps receiver for it(can’t remember now). Best thing is to buy gps unit and just put it in the bag.
snow conditions
Quote:

I recommend one of these:

Lizzard, I'm only half sure that you're serious are about this, but I B well am.

Have to admit that I'm a map addict, but they just MUST be on paper. To me this GPS stuff is giving in to incompetence at map reading. You just can't get the full view on a 3" by 2" screen unless you want to plan a route where you fall off a cliff, drive into a lake or follow a course planned by an idiot.

Why would you want some fool to tell you how to get from A to B when you could pick the route YOU really want to take.

Where's the pleasure in looking at a TomTom? Give me an OS type map any day.

I've probably had a sad life spending far too much time reading maps but.... hey-ho rant over.

Regards, The Luddite
snow report
I've had a look at http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html, but I'm getting bogged down with the quantity of links.

I downloaded the SportsDo demo and was very impressed with it. Obviously free is better than pay, so, does anyone have any experience of a product from the afore mentioned link? Oh and it must run on Windows Mobile Smile
snow report
just to resurrect this, I've just installed http://www.ttsm.com which looks very promising and is free for personal use Smile
ski holidays
That looks like quite a good product. I did get bored of looking in the end and wrote my own app for my phone.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy