Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does this sound any good?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a nice xmas get away, and came across a reasonable deal for Les Arcs 1800 at the Hotel Charmettoger. Can anyone give me any info on this hotel/resort, what's it like skiing over xmas? does everything shut on xmas day? not been away over xmas before. Any advice/hints/tips etc muchly appreciated Smile

AL
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arc 1800 gives you direct access to what, in my humble opinion, is one of the world's top five ski areas.
Does anything else matter?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree. Its a much underrated resort. It is normally thought of as an intermediate resort but has more challenging black runs than the whole Tignes/Val d'Isere area, and includes the famous Aiguille Rouge to Villaroger descent (more than 2,00metres vertical!). The off-piste is good too, though not all that extensive. Most of the best skiing for good skiers is on the Aiguille Rouge mountain, so if bad weather closes the cable car things are a bit more limited.
The area above Arc 1800 is mostly intermediate and can get rather heavily skied. In bad weather try the Plan Peisey area (to the right of 1800 as you look uphill) which is amoung trees so has better visibility. That is also where the big new lift crosses high above the Valley to the La Plagne skiing (if Lea Arcs isn't enough for you).
Arc 1600 and Arc 1800 are perched up the mountain above the rail terminus at Bourg St Maurice in the Valley below (you can go between the two on a cog railway). Sometimes you look down at a sea of cloud that fills the valley below.
Over the first range of mountain is another, much higher valley containing Arc 2000 and most of the more challenging runs.
There is no old town - it was all built from scratch in (I think) the 60s, but doesn't look too bad. I can't tell you about bars etc since I haven't stayed there for many years. However I remember there used to be a good restaurant at the bottom of the Arc 2000 valley and also on the run down to Villaroger, most of the way down.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't skiied Les Arcs before, but did spend Christmas in Alpe d'Huez.

The French celebrate on Christmas Eve, and all the restaurants booked out in advance for Christmas Eve (although if you are half-board in Hotel you should be fine). Didn't notice any restaurants doing traditional English Christmas dinner ... which isn't necessarily a bad thing (!) .. but just in case you were expecting it !!

Everything stayed open Christmas day .. the pubs in particular opened later that night than any other night all season (with the exception of New Years Eve).

The only slight downside is that it is the first week of the season for most of the Tour Operators, so anything that could go wrong, will go wrong, as most of the staff will be inexperienced!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's hard to imagine a better way to spend Christmas than skiing on deserted slopes under a deep blue sky. Is there such a thing as a bad resort? Or do we just measure degrees of excellence?

Enjoy Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent plan. Christmas skiing is great - the only downside is the early finish because it gets dark early, but Les Arcs is a superb resort. Not as big as Espace Killy or 3V but with a superb variety of runs for all tastes and abilities.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mac Daddy you might not find the Aiguille Rouge open and you'll also find that Arcs 2000 &1950 are not the sunniest of resorts in early season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, ???? eh ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've not stayed at that hotel, but it is very convenient for skiing as it is on the piste-side just above Arc 1800. Hotel details http://www.maeva.com/scripts/fiche_produit.php?id_ofr=44 It's a short walk down the hill to the village centre, and Arc 1800 is normally regarded as the liveliest of the Arc villages with lots of bars, etc. If you want a pretty village and Alpine charm this is not the place to go, but for extensive skiing at high altitude and ski-in/out it's a good choice.

The resort will be more or less fully open on Christmas day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Disaster stikes Crying or Very sad Just found out from work that i cannot go Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I don't have enough annual leave Mad and the same holiday for the week after (which we have off anyways) is double the price! What a sick and twisted world we live in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right i've had a quick search for the alternate date 26th dec - 2nd jan and come up with 3 possible matches, can you please help me choose. The choices are:

1> Alp D'Huez
2> Valloire
3> Les Menuires

A bit about me and what i'm looking for in a ski holiday. I'll be going with the mrs, we're both lower intermediates comfortable on blue and most reds. Like a few beers and a game of pool etc after a days skiing, not that fussed about nightclubs etc Any help appreciated
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not skied in Alp d'Huez or Valloire but I think Les Menuires would be just fine for you. Almost endless intermediate skiing is available in the Les Menuires/Val Thorens valley (plus lots more in the rest of the Trois Vallees), and much of it is at high altitude above Val Thorens so if the snow is a bit feeble at that tim eof year you should be OK. Les Menuires itslef is not the most attractive of Alpine villages( in fact its probably the ugliest!) but there is a wide range of bars and restaurants to choose from. Most of the accommodation is conveniently located to get to the pistes quickly and easily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not skied Valloire, but of the other 2 I'd say the skiing is better at Les Menuires (part of the huge 3 Valleys) and the snow is surer (it's got Val Thorens just above it which is the highest resort in Europe, I think. I've only stayed at Val Thorens so can't tell you about the resort facilities.
It is an extremely ugly resort but I'd go for that.
(The skiing on the La Masse area is great and also the Cime de Carron just up the valley.).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The_Mac_Daddy, Valloire is a nice town but the ski area is quite limited early in the season. Skied there last Xmas and the links to Valmenier were mostly closed which meant riding three long chairs to get there and back...bit of a waste of time. Skiing is quite nice intermediate stuff but you'd be much better off in Alpe d'Huez or Les Menuires early season.

I'd vote for Les Menuires as the snow at Val Thorens should be great, that said the snow at Alpe D is pretty reliable and it's a much more attractive town.
snow report
I must admit I've only visited Alp d'Huez for the day a couple of times to ski the off-piste with a guide when staying at La Grave. There is some tremendous off-piste there for the expert skier.
snow report
Les menuires sounds the best. I'll have a ring round the travel agents. Thanks everyone for your help
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy, if you choose Les Menuires then may I suggest that you try and stay here.

I fear it may be fully booked for that week but it's worth a try and if you do get in you won't regret it. Pascal's food is great snowHead (and they have a pool table in the bar)
latest report
Cheers peeps, all booked up now, off to Les menuires on boxing day. 7 weeks and counting Wink
latest report
The_Mac_Daddy, glad to hear you've got it sorted. Have a great holiday...
ski holidays
Great skiing above La Masse. Enjoy!

The restaurant at the top is recommended too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy