Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

B5 or M11

Poster: A snowHead
i know - that old chestnut!

but anyway - what do the experts think would be better in the bumps (moguls, not just bumpy pistes) - a pair of 2006 B5 or 2005 M11 ?

any drawbacks on-piste, or in powder? i've skiied the B5's on everything & love them - not tried the M11's yet
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
riverwhy, how heavy are you & what lengths are you considering?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
about 13 stone -

B5 164 2006 model
M11 162 2005 model

just wondered if the M11 (which i believe is lighter) would be better for the occasional jump turn in the bumps.. it's tough to get the B5s off the ground!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
riverwhy, both skis are 162cm with the same sidecut & radius so it's pretty much down to flex difference with the B5 being a bit stiffer. At 13st you'll have no problem with flexing the B5. In bumps I wouldn't think you'd notice a difference but the B5 has a lot more top end piste performance than the M11. The 06 Neox binding was lightened compared to the 05 so although the B5 ski is a tad heavier than the M11 the reduced binding weight will make them pretty equal. If you've skied & like the B5 then I'd stick with them as you'd be gaining nothing but loosing a lot. Although the B5 is a heavy ski it's swing weight is low so it's not noticeable at all when skied - just don't plan on hiking too far with them shouldered.

Jump turns in bumps? The idea is too keep the skis in contact with the snow.

Whichever you choose I'd recommend skiing them with the Neox's in the forward position.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks Spyderjon

re the jumps - just sometimes i like to jump off the bumps, turning in the air.. Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
riverwhy,

then you will not feel the weight there anyway...

But if you find ski weight a problem getting them off the ground then you are doing something wrong, Imv.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
well i wouldn't claim to be doing everything right JT.. wink but tbh the only time i tried to jump the B5s was when i tried to speiss slowly down a small steep slope - i do this regularly with lighter skis, but found it a lot harder with the B5s. But then, i'm not as young as i used to be Sad

does anyone know what the weight difference is between the orignal metron B5 & the 2008 B5i "with "lighter neox 412 bindings" ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
riverwhy, I used the new B5is for two day a couple of weeks ago. Lovely ski but By God you have to drive them . . . all the bloody time or they will bite back with a vengeance. I'm 16 stone and really had to try hard to bend them and make them perform beyond just riding the side-cut. They also need really well fitting boots as those big shovels do like to wander unless your feet are held close and tight to the ski. The last thing is . . . they're too bloody heavy by half. I thought about them as a one-ski quiver. . . but truth be told, I'll be happier on more purposed skis.

At your weight you might have more fun and a better experience on the M10s
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
riverwhy wrote:
......does anyone know what the weight difference is between the orignal metron B5 & the 2008 B5i "with "lighter neox 412 bindings" ?

The 412 Neox bindings have been on a number of 'diets' since they were first lauched in 04/05(?). The 07/08 are approx 400g per ski lighter than the original.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks again spyderjon - that's a fair bit lighter - 1lb a ski - i'm wondering if that affects stability in the shorter lengths?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
masque - what length were you skiing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
riverwhy wrote:
thanks again spyderjon - that's a fair bit lighter - 1lb a ski - i'm wondering if that affects stability in the shorter lengths?

No affect whatsoever - it just makes a very heavy ski a heavy ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
riverwhy, 162
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Atomic have one the rearmost binding positions on the market so I bet you a stiff drink that the bindings were set to the central position on the B5's that you demo'd? My B5's felt just like you described but they're completely transformed when the bindings are moved to their forward position. The central position on the Neox binding certainly does not put the skier over the sweet spot of the ski.

When you compare the B5 to other skis of similar length & sidecut you'll see that the binding position is quite a bit further back. I actually skied mine 1cm further forward than the ski's forward mark & they were superb - giving me reward for input when asked for or for cruising around on in the afternoon.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon - how did you move up an extra cm? did you need to drill & tap them?
How do you move the ski binding to the forward position?
latest report
ah.. don't worry - i've sorted it now.. just need to wait for some snow Madeye-Smiley
snow report
i was looking on ebay for metrons.. came across this

http://tinyurl.com/2ow8ov

BUT - note the name of the seller Very Happy
ski holidays
riverwhy, See here for Neox adjustment info: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/35/50/
snow conditions
thanks Spyderjon - had already figured it, but that's useful anyway becase i'm bound to forget! wink
snow conditions
spyderjon, I'll give them another try. What I did fall in love with at the Mondial were the new SX12s in 182 length Twisted Evil What a hoot! Super, sooooper fast (faster than the GS12s in the same length) and really nice in tight GS turns and still with that recognisable SX kick in the pants when you get it right . . . bring back long skis I say wink (not sure I could ride them more than a couple of hours as I worked up a right muck-sweat)
ski holidays
Masque, The SX12 in 182 is a lot of ski - it's basically Atomic's factory GS ski in disguise & is a true pro skiercross ski. It's even stiffer than the SXB5's I've just sold so it must be like a plank. My SXB5's were in 166 & were enough for me so need the SX12 in 169cm to be able to ski it all day.
ski holidays
riverwhy wrote:
i know - that old chestnut!

but anyway - what do the experts think would be better in the bumps (moguls, not just bumpy pistes) - a pair of 2006 B5 or 2005 M11 ?

any drawbacks on-piste, or in powder? i've skiied the B5's on everything & love them - not tried the M11's yet

I think you have answered your own question. If you have skied the B%'s and loved them then they are the skies for you. I skied the new 11's and B5i and found them good for specific skiing styles but not versatile enough to move out of their comfort zone. They are not right for me!

You've found ya ski dude buy the B5i
snow report
spyderjon

just how much difference do you think i'm going to notice after moving the bindings to the forward position? I was well impressed with the B5 on piste, normal, cruddy & icy. I was looking for an improvement in the bumps, but not necessarily the regular "eggbox" pattern mogul fields, more the off-piste rough stuff.. I'll concede my technique needs improving in those areas too, but if i can get some help from the skis then i'll take it wink

btw i have a pair of M11 to try but i don't fancy carrying both pairs to the airport!!!
latest report
riverwhy wrote:
......just how much difference do you think i'm going to notice after moving the bindings to the forward position? ......I was looking for an improvement in the bumps, but not necessarily the regular "eggbox" pattern mogul fields, more the off-piste rough stuff....

It allow me to drive the skis rather than being driven.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Masque, The SX12 in 182 is a lot of ski - it's basically Atomic's factory GS ski in disguise & is a true pro skiercross ski. It's even stiffer than the SXB5's I've just sold so it must be like a plank. My SXB5's were in 166 & were enough for me so need the SX12 in 169cm to be able to ski it all day.

Oddly, not as much of a ski as you think and not as much of a plank as the B5i. The extra leverage seemed to give them a nice 'bite' and still have an asskick. The long length made them ultra stable at fall-line terminal velocity with an easy roll into carve. . . but once into carve I had to use all that Charlotte and Anna had taught me to keep the edge engaged and not wash-out. I had to be both subtle and forceful to succeed in staying in control (some of the time) . . . huge fun but very exhausting.
I want to slide some proper DH 2m+ skis . . . just for the experience of course wink Roll on the Lauberhorn Twisted Evil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy