Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

winter tyres and snow chains?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are hiring a car and driving from Munich to Obergurl just before Christmas.

The vehicle comes with winter tyres but I seem to be getting conflicting oponions are to whether we need snow chains as well
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect you will continue to get conflicting advice on here too!

I am always in the 'I'd rather have them with me than get stuck' camp. Winter tyres are good enough for most situations, but I have three times been in a scenario in Austria where it has literally been impossible to carry on without chains - all three times the police have been stopping cars without them and making them wait until the roads have been cleared.

Obergurgl is quite a long way up a valley road which is quite twisty and turny in parts, and some of the accommodation can be up or down quite steep hills from the main road, so if it were me, I'd take chains too.

Chances are you may not need them, but if you don't take them, you'll feel pretty silly if you can't get your car to and from the resort.

So you could arrange to hire them with the ca, or you could wait until you have a weather/roads report and just buy some out there if you need them. They're pretty cheap in service stations etc.

D
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
matthews24, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
There are several Austrian residents posting here so a definitive reply will be along shortly.
In France you are required to have chains in your vehicle (irrespective of type or tyres) in Alpine areas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
matthews24, do a wee search. We have debated this to death elsewhere...you are not the first... wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Deliaskis, thanks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, thanks will do
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
matthews24, some roads you are legally required to carry them. Contact the resort or your accommodation and ask them if you need them for the roads to Obergurl. I dont know the area so cant really help. If you do have them - make sure you know how to fit them - some are easier than others. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deliaskis, got it in one. Regardless of the legal situation, it's much better to have chains, and know how to fit them. The cost is annoying, if you don't use them, but this is a ski holiday. How much would the loss of even half a day cost? some guests visiting my apartment last year, when we weren't there, didn't have chains with car hired from Geneva, and couldn't get them. I strongly advised buying them en route, then when snow was threatened towards the end of their week, urged them yet again to buy them. They decided to take "local advice", somebody said they didn't think it was going to snow, so they didn't bother. They couldn't get to the only place to buy chains, because of the snow next morning, were badly delayed, missed their flight home. It's just daft. I have four snow tyres but have several times needed to put on chains as well. When you've got them, a big snow fall on your way to a resort is a harbinger of a great week. When you haven't, it's a nightmare.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl has a fairly steep approach road with many switchbacks. It won't be fun going up or coming down if the conditions are like they have been in the last week. When the conditions get tricky on high alpine roads it's not unusual for the snow chain only signs to be displayed.

I'd avoid buying from a petrol station as they tend to be poor quality, expensive or both. "Forstinger" is similar to Halfords, they sell snow chains.

You can pick up chains for around 35 euro (ca 24 GBP). (Which is often less than the car hire companies charge for rental)
http://www.forstinger-shop.com/webshop/advanced_search_result.php/keywords/ketten/page/2/XTCsid/abb3e2fc6e4826766d555b7f1edf095a

The first three chains in this test are better but cost around 70 Euro. The konig fly at ca 55 euro are very good.
http://www.oeamtc.at/refresh/frameset.php?p=http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/schneekettentests/schneeketten_2004/gesamt.html

There's probably a Forstinger or ÖAMTC shop (Austrian AA equiv) on the way down from Munich. I'd wait until you get the hire car and then find chains to match, if you buy chains up front they might not fit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy