Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North from Whistler on Highway 99?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to be in BC for a 3 week road trip Jan '08, been there a few times before but never visited Whistler.

Plan for this year is to arrive in Vancouver for a couple of days, buy new skis, ski Grouse mtn, Seymour & Cypress mtn, then head for the hills.

First stop Whistler, before our usual circuit of Apex, Big White, Silver Star & Sun Peaks. Looking at my map we can carry on North, through Whistler on highway 99 eventualy arriving in Kamloops (Sun Peaks). Google maps estimates this at just over 4 hrs, which is a dam sight quicker than heading back down to Vancouver and up Highway 1/5 etc to the Okanagen.

My question is, how reliable is Highway 99 in typical winter conditions? My map describes it as "secondary highway" and previous trips have only involved "primary highway".

We will be in a standard Vancouver issue 4x4, so no chains or winter tyres, (but plenty of Alpine winter driving experience in dodgy transit vans!)

Discuss.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not done '99 N of Whistler, but have heard that it's only recently (last 5-10 years) that this has become a sealed (i.e. tarmac) road. Have done lots of road is the area (1, 8, 12, 97C) and not had any issues, but you do need to be prepared for spending 4-8 hours behind a snowplough at 30mph.

Basic rules are: take it gently, don't rush, give yourself plenty of time. [Err, they all sound like the same thing..]
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks RobW, have driven quite a bit in BC too, so know what to expect.

Been thinking about my original question and the gist of it is......

Whistler -> Okanagen, which is quickest/most practical? (obviously blizzard conditions will alter final decision)

H99 north to Kamloops

or

H99 south to Vancouver. H1, H97 etc to Penticon, Kelowna, Vernon etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about calling Sun Peaks and ask them directly?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't bank on it being passable it in January.

The drive north to Pemberton should be clear. That's mostly 3 lane with 2 lane sections. About 8 miles north of Pemberton you hit the Duffy Lake Road (which you'll see signs about just as you leave Squamish). The bottom 5k of that is between 12 and 15% with hairpins. After that, it's uphill for another 8k before it undulates and twists for a long way, then it drops steeply into Lilloet. The last section into Lilloet is undoubtedly the worst. I drove that the other way this summer, and I remember thinking how much I would not fancy driving it in winter. And I like driving.

Now I'd guess that they make an effort to keep the road open as far as Lilloet, but in Jan, if you arrive in the middle of a storm, there's a reasonable chance it simply won't be open.

North of Lilloet is a pretty spectacular drive that becomes boring after a while. There's a section from Lilloet until it joins a more major road (about 1/2 way to Kamloops) which I think would be the most likely bit to be blocked. IIRC we did Kamloops to Whistler in just over 3 hours on this route in the middle of summer doing some lunatic fast driving. I think the Whistler locals quote 8 hours from Whistler to Vancouver airport going north in winter, assuming it's open.

Going to Revelstoke? I think they will havetheir first new lift running this winter.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
greg66, welcome to snowHeads, an excellent and informative first post, exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Based on what you say, we will probably head south again after Whistler, if they have snow we might stop in at one of the Vancouver resorts for a day on the way through, then head for a few days at Apex before going North to BW. SS & SP. Not sure if we will visit Revelstoke, been following the developments, looks like it's going to be amazing but think it will have to wait for another year.

Thanks once again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
greg66, talks sense about winter conditions I've driven it in April and it was anice drive but not particualrly quick - to the mid or south Okanagan I'd think 99/1 might be almost as quick.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
1 guest, We did the Duffy Lake Road both directions in March 2006 and it was a lovely drive but we were lucky with the weather. I also agree with greg66 that it would be rather scary in winter with a good chance of being closed during a storm. On the way back, we did Vernon to Whistler in about 6 hours with a couple of short stops en route.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, the most important thing that is north of Whistler is me Laughing

Leave Whistler, head north, next set of traffic lights you come to, turn right Blush
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've driven that way twice, heading to both Apex and Kamloops after a day at Whistler. Roads was fine both times, but weather was good.

Just check the weather/roads conditions before you go. It's an incredibly scenic road and well worth the drive, but if weather looks bad, go other way. Time wise, if conditions are good, I suspect there's little in either route.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Robbie! 25 sleeps until we come out to see you Very Happy (with emergency supplies of Percy Pigs and Jammy Dodgers)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geetee, ahh haa, the "Pemberton Levy" that must be paid by all who enter here Laughing Laughing Laughing

Snowing nicely at the top.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy