Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot flex

dt
dt
I am a fairly strong skiier and am looking at getting my current boots (Head FR10's) replaced in a couple of weeks. I've decided to get fitted for a pair of strolz boots, but as they offer their shells in two different types- an intermediate version with a softer flex, and a racing shell which, predictably, is stiffer, I'm not sure which to go for. Apart from the stiffness the boots are identical. I will only use the boots for on piste, for which purposes they will be teamed with a pair of Fischer Worldcup RC's. I think that my current boots are fairly soft by now (they've probably been skiied for 35 odd weeks, hence the need for replacement) but am worried about the impact that stiffer shells will have on my technique. I've been told that the strolz shells aren't anywhere near as stiff as other racing boots- but would be very grateful for any input about the impact they might have on my skiing. At present I'm erring towards the stiffer ones.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My 2 cent .....
Strolz boots are good for problem feet but heavy (the reason why I don't use my pair of Strolz Boots much these days) and expensive. Their leather foamed liners are very good and can also be put into a different shell. As far as I am aware the Strolz racing shell does not match the performance of other more recently developed racing shells on the market. To be honest if your foot will fit in an off the shelf shell you are likely to get better performance for less money than a Strolz boot. Strolz really score when it's difficult to get another shell to fit as Strolz can modify the shell to suit. Strolz are built to last for years and years. Replacment parts are always availble. If you are the type of person that wants to keep the same boots for decades that Strolz could be for you.

Many shops (in Austria) offer Strolz and other boots. Find such a shop with a good bootfitter and see if you really need Strolz and compare the flexes or other boots. Stiffer boots are generally better for racing. Non of the many amateur racers I see trainning on the glaciers are using Strolz 'racing' boots.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 10-11-07 9:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 dt
dt
I'm pretty set on Strolz boots, its just the stiffness issue that I'm worried about. I don't intend to race in them- I've had much the same feedback from racers criticising them for being too soft and putting the liners in other boots as you- its just that I'm concerned that they still might be a bit stiff for me. I'll be teaching in them all winter, and possibly for the summer and next winter as well, so longevity is an issue. As my current boots are quite soft I'm worried that moving to a stiffer boot will have a pretty negative effect on my skiing and make teaching harder.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your gunna be teaching lots i'd go for the softer option. Stiff race boots ain't the comfyest things to be wearing when your teaching. I've had to give up wearing race boots that were 140 flex and am so much happier and in less pain using a 100 flex boot instead.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Technica feature adjustable flex models.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dt, who is doing your fitting?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy