Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 Instructor

Poster: A snowHead
I recently heard that it was possible to skip right through this with some sort of exemption arrangement, assuming the trainee is at a certain standard. Does anyone know to who this applies? I've tried getting hold of BASI on the phone but they're obviously on holiday or something, as no one's been in for weeks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ice_pie - BASI are a nightmare to get hold of. My experience is that if they don't answer the phone first thing (10:00) then there's no point trying later.

There used to be exemptions for dry slope and forces instructors, but they've changed the qualifications this year - so it's anyone's guess what the new rules are. I'm pretty sure that ASSIs now have to do a one day conversion. But I could be talking out of my backside.

To be honest, you might be best off trying to get hold of Becci Malthouse from BASS Morzine and asking her. She's a BASI Trainer, so will know the policy. I'll PM (Personal Message) you some contact details.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've sent you a PM. Hit "Send/Read Messages" at the top right of the page - underneath the pumpkin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ice_pie, What qualifications do you hold already and what level in BASI do you wish to achieve?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welll that's the problem. None, really. I've worked with the ESF a couple of times years and years ago (I took a few flocon 'lessons' (glorified nannying?) when they had too many brit kids up in Lindarets, P.d.S). Apart from that nothing really. But I've skied with people who were about to take BASI 1 and a some of them seemed um... hobby skiers. I used to race when i was a nipper as living in paris we could drive down to Argentiere most weekends. Since then I've done 4 winters ski-bumming or bar-manning, and wondered if experience, plus French Language (someone mentioned this helped), plus plenty of theory study might wangle me an exemption from the first step and give me a little jump start so i could hit the ground running this winter, shadow plenty of lessons, and then dive straight into BASI 2 at the first opportunity. Am keen to go as far as possible with qualifications (i'm aiming to be in the mountains for the foreseable future).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ice_pie, no, I don't think any of that experience gets you exemption from Level 1. If you want to follow the BASI route I think you have no alternative but to start at the bottom. You could do Level 1 early in the season, pick up your hours then do a Level 2 later this season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ice_pie, Why go through the BASI system? if your French is good go through the French ENSA system. You will be able to get work much more easily while training for your qualifications as the ESF and other larger ski schools are training centres and will hire "stagiares" with early stage qualifications.

Have a look at this thread, the beginning of it had some mistakes but it may be useful to read http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=working+france&start=160

To enter the ENSA system you will have to pass the Test Technique which is a timed special slalom, but with your race background you may be able to slot straight in... ALL instructors in that want to teach in France must pass the Test Technique or the harder Eurotest..

For info on the French system http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/ENSA_Information1.pdf
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ice_pie, What level did you race at ? BASI will give an exemption from Level 1 if you had FIS points below 60 within the last 5 years.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No such luck! Was when i was a proper kiddo. 12 years ago. Am going to have a look at the french route. A french mate's looking at Test Technique this winter as well so will have a training buddy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, if you are that good you would also get an exemption from the Eurotest and TT.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ice_pie, I dug out a very good guide the the instructor pathway as written by a BASI grade 1. It is a few years old but has a lot of information

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great stuff. Something to read through over the weekend. This must be the oldest PC in London and won't let me look at any files that aren't based on clockwork.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ice_pie, You won't get any exemption from the BASI L1 I'm afraid, but like skimottaret, says why not go through the French system instead. It's for sure a whole lot cheaper.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, No - not cheaper at all!! Also lots more anatomy and a big written exam. However it's a good system in it's way (they all have strengths and weaknesses). It would probably make more sense for ice_pie, though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, as regards cost, I referred to the link posted by skimottaret, "For info on the French system http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/ENSA_Information1.pdf " which suggests a cost of €4000 (£2920)
To go through the BASI system, excluding lift passes, living expenses, travel etc. so purely course fees.
BASI L2 £ 1,085
BASI ISIA a further £ 1,885
BASI ISTD a further £ 1,310
Making a total of £ 4,280 for ISTD starting from scratch, which is probably more like a total cost of £ 30,000 if you include everything.

I make that £ 1,360 more expensive to go the BASI route, than the ENSA.
snow conditions
plus when you get to the BASI ISIA/ISTD course stage, you have to include "other" expenses, such as organised expensive dinners (organised by the trainer), expensive wine ordered by the trainer (for which you pick the tab up), miscellaneous jollys (again, prompted by the trainer)........
ski holidays
Spyderman, Good link - I see all my persistence has finally resulted in someone actually looking at the ENSA site! Very Happy I see that it says (as you say) cost of courses = 4000 euros. However (as with BASI) this is assuming you pass each one first time - most don't. Most of my friends complain bitterly at the cost of it all. Many seem to spend at least 10,000 euros on the courses, so I don't know where the truth lies. It would seem to me that they are fairly comparable on the whole in both cost (enormous) and time > 4 years for sure.

veeeight, I never had to fall for that one. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
plus when you get to the BASI ISIA/ISTD course stage, you have to include "other" expenses, such as organised expensive dinners (organised by the trainer), expensive wine ordered by the trainer (for which you pick the tab up), miscellaneous jollys (again, prompted by the trainer)........

Cheaper than a re-sit wink
latest report
ice_pie wrote:
I've skied with people who were about to take BASI 1 and a some of them seemed um... hobby skiers.

Maybe they were, maybe they were not up to the standard? The point is not to be a good skier but to be a good BASI skier capable of demonstrating and teaching the BASI common theme.
ski holidays
ice_pie, Of course it's a problem now as I'm a GRADE 1 - National ski teacher - I hate this idea that it's gone gone the other way. For a moment I was deeply offended by your remark - then I realised you were talking about ASSI equivalent!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
easiski, The change from the original 3-2-1 happened more than 8 years ago. rolling eyes
latest report
Spyderman, But I'm still a Grade 1, National Ski Teacher !! It was bloody hard enough to get - I'm NOT giving it up. (Not that I'm a member any more). ..
snow report
easiski, What Assc. do you belong to now? Did you get your BASI 1 as it was and then get your Equivilance in France?
latest report
Spyderman, I've been into all this before. I belong to SIMS (Syndicat Internationale des Moniteurs du Ski). Much better value than BASI. Insurance is better, recyclage is better, uniforms can be bought, more expensive but you actually get something back. BASI, once you've finished your exams is a load os sh*t. Insurance is rubbish, refreshers are total crap (all grades together) - I've done 2!!! I couldn't even get BASI to send me a receipt for the cost of the 2nd one - that's what finished me off. It's an allowable expense - they're just geared to part time or amateur instructors and do nothing for full time professionals. [/end moan]
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy