Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Winter 2007/8

Poster: A snowHead
Headplant, I can see them in the post - can't you see them? Confused Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can see them too and it looks like they're in the SnowMediaZone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier, I posted them using the 'post pic' that some of us have. I think it's always worked before, but doesn't necessarily upload them to your own folder - don't know about that - Yoda will know - knows everything he does.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, It all looks beautiful. "The Pink Jacket" and I are now on 'the final countdown ' Don't forget to place an order for sunshine from the 12th after the huge dump of snow we're all dancing for (only overnight naturally) wink See you soon
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Annie, Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, No, still nothing, not even code? Sad This may be my first vista problem. Had the same trouble with another thread yesterday initially but the photo appeared later in the day.rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Headplant, Sorry about that. Try looking at my album on SnowmediaZone - maybe they're there! I have Vista too - major PITA Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
works fine for me on Vista Headplant.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also Vista and no problem
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowing hard today
Waiting for easiski report
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes - cold windy and snowing. Horrid day, hence no pix! No viz. Shocked Not much open but we started off at 2,600 (nothing open there, so went down to Cretes where the Grand Cretes chair was working. Very unpleasant OTW, but it's good stuff for the season. Lotsof digging out of vehicles when I got home, and I'll no doubt have to do it again tomorrow morning. rolling eyes No work tomorrow, so it doesn't matter how nasty it is. Very Happy

Due to the wind it's not so much freshies as headplanties! Sad wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Computers. rolling eyes Now I see them. Thanks. This new machine I was forced to buy has pre-intalled security software and it sees some photo's as adverts? The controls were buried layers deep so not that obvious to find. Vista, what a load of fuss and all it does is a few things with open windows that they have been doing on TV for years, not exactly new is it. i have been lucky with drivers as they have now started updating the basics system so printers and the like went straight on.

Nice to hear about some snow. Very Happy Digging the car out. Toofy Grin So does this new place you have mean you now have to drive to get to work, that's a bit of a pain. It looks like you need to have a word to see if they will put a lift in. Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sun's come out today (well later in the morning), so here's a pic out of my bedroom window of the Diable run. Unfortunately you can't actually make out the tracks and a couple of skiers on it! Shame, but it's only a cheap little camera. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow easiski, what a change in 1 month! Very pretty pic even if I can't see the skiers and their tracks Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, nice view. Going green
snow report
brian, I still prefer my silver birches. Sad I do have to actually lean out of the window at an angle to see this view, whereas the birches were right 'in my face' as you know.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski, they were lovely. Do you have a view to La Muzelle now though, and out over Venosc ? That's got to be worth it.
snow conditions
Mr L tells me this afternoon that he has cold nadgers, the result of immersing them in powder all day.
latest report
Lizzard, what's he doing not working on a Tuesday?

brian, I can see la Muzelle, but have a better view of the Aiguille de Venosc ...
ski holidays
Very sunny today. They've pisted the Diable run for the first time and a good width too. things are really moving on. This is 2 pix stiched together from yesterday afternoon. the wind was blowing the snow off the ridges, but today the wind has dropped. I took these from my balcony with the Aiguille de Venosc in the centre and La Muzelle off to the left.
latest report
PERFECT!!!!!

We leave catalunya this night...... Tomorrow 1st season's ski day!! And L2A have a nice shape!!

Last forecasts looks like another big dump (40-60cm of new snow) is coming on sunday! SO Monday-tuesday --> empty slopes+knee deep=heaven Shocked Shocked ......

I will pray for it!! Little Angel Little Angel Of course I'll carry the fat ones....the slaloms can wait when I return to Pyrenees reality
ski holidays
Just got back yesterday, great conditions good to meet easyski and the other snowheads who where out there. snowHead
ski holidays
Just checked LDA site and is showing only about 20% of the resort open, is this right?

Does this mean they will gradually open it all later in the season, we go next sat and i was hoping it would all be open.

Snow is looking great so far though !!!!
snow report
Big Rich, yes it does. The DAL (lift company) generally only open a small number of lifts pre-Christmas, in order to save costs on lifties etc at a really quiet time. This doesn't mean that only 20% of the resort is skiable. On the contrary, you can probably ski most of it, but it'll be at your own risk on closed pistes.
The Pied Moutet side is unlikely to pen pre-Christmas, and like Easiski says, the Fee sector doesn't usually either. Its a demand and supply thing. Mind you, if you can get to the glacier - which you can - you have 2000m of vertical available if you take the initiative and ski down the closed Valentin/Desmoiselles sector to get home.
Looks good out there to me - can't wait to get there on the 17th!!
I have gone out early-mid Dec for the last few years and never been disappointed, even with the limited lift-openings.
So don't panic - it'll be great! wink
snow report
paulmck, I hope there's plenty open on Jan 5th when we fly out there Very Happy
ski holidays
Big Rich, tommy10pages, Although they might only show 20% open that's the lifts - not the pistes usually. I went shopping today, and the whole face was tracked out. Of course that assumes peeps are good enough to ski unpisted snow on very steep slopes. But with all runs from 2600 to Cretes open, and 3 of the 4 at the Toura open ... Probably enough snow to open toura itself now (or will be very soon). Bellecombe is just waiting for enough peeps, as is Super Diable. Diable is clearly perfect (but probably closed as I didn't see peeps on it). Valentin is clearly open and pisted (lots of black dots). All glacier runs open and all runs from glacier to 2600 with the exception of the Breche. It was very windy, so they might not have been able to open this now (very windswept piste). Pied Moutet is coming along nicely, and I should think they'll open the Vallee Blanche after the next dump. Very Happy

paulmck, sooo right!
latest report
Oh yeah, the lot will be by then (outrageous thaws permitting...). Back out there again myself on New Year's Day for 10 days. Hurrah!
snow report
paulmck, watch out for three 30something lads stooped over pints of lager in the White Bear pub (if it's still there) because that'll be us!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh good ,thats a relief !!! Thought for a minute the reason first choice were so cheap was cos the resort was closed.
Sorry Im a newbie and alot of your knowledge has just gone right past me.

1. If a piste is closed can you still ski it, are you uninsured if you do that

2.Face tracked out, mean new track in fresh snow ?

3.Whats the fee sector ?

Sorry for all the questions, me and the kids are on countdown.

Handy tip for all parents out there. Book there first ever skiing holiday a week before xmas, they have hardly mentioned xmas once. Mind you they do mention skiing every day !!!! There biggest worry is are they allowed to take their advent calenders with them as they don't trust mum with them for 7 days !!!

10 days and counting
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
16 days Very Happy
snow report
Big Rich, No need to apologise for asking questions - thats the whole point isn't it? wink
Some answers:

1. Generally in Europe (though not necessarily in America) if there's snow on a slope, you can ski it, but (and its a big but) you have to be responsible for your own actions, taking into account the avalanche risk, your level of competence, safety of those around and below you, and basically something you shouldn't do alone unless you are fully conversant with the situation. As far as insurance is concerned, it depends on the policy you take out. An accident on a closed run is viewed by the pisteurs/hospitals, etc as the same as off-piste, so if you're not covered for off-piste skiing, you'd be a bit of a prat to chance it. Also, a closed piste has no patrol, and is probably closed for quite a good reason. The top of the Valentin for example has a 30 degree pitch on the top of it, and can resemble an ice rink. Rarely does a year go by without some hapless skier killing themselves or someone else on it. I have seen a man slide head first all the way to the bottom, unable to stop, and also been wiped out myself by someone doing soemthing similar. There's loads to learn before venturing outside the marked runs, but don't worry, the better you get, the more fun it gets. If you're a beginner, there will be loads and loads to keep you happy around the nursery slopes in the village, and later on the glacier etc.

2. The Face is what Charlotte (Easiski) calls the side of the mountain which slopes down to the resort from 2100m. It is universally quite steep, but represents a lot of fun to off-piste skiers/boarders in the right conditions, since the routes down are endlessly variable, through trees, gullies, etc. After a fresh snowfall below freezing, the snow is light and fluffy (hence "powder"), and provides the loveliest sensations skiing can offer. When Charlotte says "tracked-out" she means exactly that. All the ahem, "decent" skiers in the resort will ski across the mountain as much as they can to find the little bits of powder that haven't been disturbed, or "tracked" by other skiers.

3. The Fee is an area of the ski domain, along with the Cretes, Diable, Pied Moutet etc. Its a bit lower than the mid-station (Toura), and requires a chairlift to get you out of it again, so the DAL don't tend to open it until the number of visitors demands it.

Have you booked lessons, btw?
snow report
Big Rich, Just returned from a long weekend, had a great time and I am absolutely certain you will have plenty to ski! Have to say that LDA is now one of my favourite resorts .

Its got great skiing and snow conditions, a brilliant instructor easiski, good atmosphere, and some cracking apartments owned by snowHead's paulmck, and fragy,!!
snow report
oh give will you !!! I can't wait for the 15th to come around soon enough..

It sounds like its going to be great.

Yes we have booked lessons with FC which i think is through the ESF. I tried Easiski but she is boked up for the week we are there. Trying to get an hour with Charlotte is like trying to a a Wii at the moment.

Whats the evening's like with 2 kids in tow. ( 10 and 8 )

Avalanche risk is shown as 3/5, what does this mean please. I have seen 1/5 for ages , but now its changed. I know 3 is worse than 1, but how much ?

Ta for all the help
ski holidays
Big Rich, quite a lot. Level 1 is low risk. Level 3 is considerable. See Pistehors - scroll down page.
snow report
SteveKirby, Welcome to the LDA Appreciation Society! Pleased you had a good time and liked the flat.

Big Rich, Evenings will be pretty low-key when you're there, unless the British University championships are on. Not sure of the exact date but its around this time. Mind you its what you make it. Kids are welcome in most establishments in France as long as they're well-behaved! A shame the same can't be said for the students wink .

Avalanche risk goes from 1 to 5. Nominally 1 being the lowest and 5 being Death Central. Shouldn't really affect you though, although avalanches can strike at any time at any risk level. Level 3 is probably the most dangerous, as people think its ok cos its not 4 or 5, and then get caught out. In a nutshell 3 means don't go off-piste if you don't know what you're doing. If there's any risk from avalanching across pisted runs, the pisteurs will blast the snow with explosive to create controlled slides before opening the runs. You might see lots of mini-avalanches as you ski around, where little patches have "let go", but don't worry unduly about this!

Obviously no mountain sport is completely devoid of danger, and skiing can be a jolly dangerous hobby if you want to be silly (sez me) Embarassed but the lifties and the pisteurs will seek to reduce that risk on-piste as low as possible, and if its dangerous, they won't lift you up the mountain, simple as that.

Don't let the above put you off at all. You have chosen your destination well, and you've dropped lucky with the snow this year. If it's the first time for all of you, you'll remember it for a long time. Very Happy
snow conditions
I must echo SteveKirby, sentiments above. Returned with him after our first trip and 3 great ski days in LDA, it's definitely on the favourites list snowHead . The only shame was leaving a near perfect ski day behind as when we left the heavy snowfall had stopped and the sun had just broken through Sad . Thanks easiski, great to meet you and first class instruction. Great to meet Fragy and his mates and as SteveKirby, mentions snowHead snowHead with fantastic apartments, cheers Fragy and paulmck, a brilliant long weekend at a great resort. Can't wait until April when we're back in LDA. Very Happy snowHead
latest report
Big Rich, I hope you're going to report back on your trip? sounds like you'll have a great time. You have thought about some of the risks, obviously, but the biggest risk is that you're going to get addicted to skiing and have to spend loads of money on it for ever. Are you ready for that? We had a family Christmas present of a ski holiday several years running (though we went in early January). The kids were always up for having that as their main Christmas present and just a "stocking" at Christmas.

Avalance risk going up from 1 to 3 means that having had next to no snow, the slopes now have quite a bit. So from that point of view it's good news. It is very, very, very, rare for anyone to be avalanched on an open, marked piste. But avalanche risk is one of the reasons slopes are sometimes closed. To ski down closed pistes is generally an extremely bad idea. I've done it, but only with instructors. At the other end of the scale they can often be closed because of being mainly grass. Walking down miles of mud and rocks in ski boots, with your skis on your shoulders, is not a bundle of laughs. My son did that, once, in Les Contamines. He never did it again, though!
snow report
Big Rich, Don't worry you'll have a fab time! If this is your first time you don't need a great deal to be open and because the resort is 'upside down' with the easier slopes towards the top they'll be more than enough to keep you entertained! Do make sure that you wrap the kids up well though as it can get pretty chilly up on the glacier especially if they're standing around at all - lots of thin layers so they can peel off/add as required.

Kids will be fine in the evening. We took our 9 yr old last year on pretty much the same dates and though he can ski quite well he was too shattered most nights to need to worry about 'entertainment', but there are things to keep them occupied if you need to and we had good experiences in all the restaurants and bars that we used.

SO happy were we with the conditions last December that a friend and I are going this year for a girlie break .......and we've only got 5 sleeps to go
ski holidays
Sunny again first thing this morning, but the cloud is building behind the mountains to the south, which bodes well (except for my efforts at snow clearing)! Shocked From the point of Big Rich there will be no problem as by 16th everything that can open will be open. The whole town area slopes are now fine, and that dodgy looking Lutins I photographed the other day is now completely covered and pisted - I did say this yesterday.

Re: skiing on closed pistes; I don't think it is the same as skiing off piste. If a piste is closed YOUR INSURANCE WILL ALWAYS BE INVALID. This is because there will be a good reason why it's closed. There may be rocks showing through, or a stream, or it may be very icy or whatever. Now sometimes the lift company close pistes because there is just a little problem, (only a few stones in one spot) but that could lead to law suits (Bl**dy americans exporting their ideas) rolling eyes In these cases they usually put just a banner in the middle of the piste which you can easily ski round. If it's really dangerous they'll put something right across the piste.

Big Rich, If you look on the 2alpes.com website (lift company) there are piste maps that you can look at to familiarise yourself with the area. You shouldn't expect to get above the village though until the Weds at least. In any case there is more than enough skiing along the length of the village for beginners - the town is 2kms long! Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, I'm wondering about my readiness to step up to blacks from hard reds - I'm pretty confident on these now, but haven't tried a black much before. I'm anxiously trying to work out from some of your posts in this thread as to how difficult le Valentin and le Diable are? I remember looking at them from the lifts, five years ago as more of a beginner and making a mental note to never try them...

Otherwise it'll be skiing down that long green at the end of each day and then traversing across the flat stuff at the bottom, like last time. Chalet's in the Venosc end of the town too Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy