Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton/Lech vs Davos/Klosters

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am flying into Zurich on 5th Jan for a week, and have visited both these resorts before once. I thoroughly enjoyed both and was at the start of October veering towards Davos/Klosters, now with the deluge of snow that is hitting Austria I am being swayed.

The question to the likes of Stanton is when a season starts as well as it is currently looking for Austria how often does it continue to develop into an absolute classic?

I am aware that Switz should get a dump this weekend but predictions for Lech are for up to a metre which is lunacy! So what is the general advice, go to Klosters and suck in the Royal air on the Prince Charles Gondala and enjoy Davos ice hockey team kick some ass or back to St Anton for cured ham and cured pants from skiing off the Valuga again?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They normally have snow before at this time so its not unusual.

I remember 1987 Ischgl season. Started of great then no snow from Xmas to early mid February. Luckily it remained bitterly cold. Then in March it snowed non stop creting major Avalanche danger.

Biggest problem now would be a warm spell late November early December but hopefully there will be enough up high by the end of this weekend to last the whole season.

No one can predict epic.

A normal season is around 4 Metres total .

Recent yearr have been around 3

5 metres plus is epic.

Last year was unusual as most of the snow was manmade .

Normally Klosters,Davos, St Moritz gets about the same snow at St Anton and Ischgl .

You can trawl through all this data (just for the Tirol) . It is in German.

http://www.lawine.at/tirol/archiv_jahresberichte.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton, Thank you
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess as this thread is started I may as well discuss a few other aspects of the 2 resorts.
I skiied some off piste in St Anton including Rendl and off Valuga-Zurs. It was often very good even in last years poor conditions. I have yet to ski any off piste in Davos Klosters system.

What are the snowhead's memories and views of the off piste potential in these systems.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum,
I have guided off piste in both areas and really enjoyed both. My own preference wsa for Davos/Klosters but it was both a bit quieter when I was there and had better snow. I don't think many people would be dissapointed with either. I suspect what I did would be a bit tame for some peoples tastes though and for recommendations for the real steep stuff I am not the one to ask.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, I generally get more of a kick from distance than steepness i.e. like to see alot of the mountain and would ertainly like to experience some tree line stuff
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech gets the most snow in the Alps.

Do Lech.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum wrote:
What are the snowhead's memories and views of the off piste potential in these systems.

"Systems@ I assume you mean this current weathe ? If so its to early & to dangerous.

http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html

I cannot be bothered to translate so I have run it through an online English translator.

Current avalanche report on the situation
Data o'clock updates to 09.11.07, 11,22

Evaluation of the avalanche danger

The avalanche danger rises in the next days saliently. In most regions Tirols will rise the danger to substantial, it is then also possible for automatic releases of middle avalanches. In the particularly new-fallen snow-rich areas of the Silvretta, at the Arlberg and in the Ausserfern, along the north alps as well as in the Kitzbueheler alps and along the Tauernkammes can the avalanche danger become also large, isolated would be then also for automatic releases of large avalanches possible, which can endanger exposed traffic routes. Attention also on the stormy to gale-like elevator hoist, which will lead to extensive wind shipping! Ski routes and variant travels generally one advises against.

Snow floor system

The new-fallen snow which can be expected falls often on underground still free of snow. Particularly on steep grass and meadow slopes one must count on automatic releases of sliding snow avalanches. In the high-alpine regions usually already a schneedecke is present. Here the new-fallen snow can glide on the one hand on the old snow cover. On the other hand is to be counted due to the several times changing temperatures and the strong wind activity also within the layer of new-fallen snow on the formation from sliding surfaces to, which are possible for possible avalanche outlets.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:

Do Lech.

but how come, it's not very high snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, No, actually i meant the general views on teh potential of the system under normal season conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
plectrum,
As I said both places are great

There was plenty of tree level skiing when I went to Davos though last trip was over ten years ago.
Some of the better stuff will have been lost to easy access by the closure of the Strela /Schatzalp lifts, but there is still plenty in all sectors.
You can ski to Gargellen (austria) and back via the Madrisa in Klosters. There is good stuff off the Weissflugipfel with a bit of climbing to low down in the Klosters valley as well as plenty of other stuff. The Rinerhorn and Pischa both had some good routes off. We had great powder in the trees on one of my visits.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold,
Quote:

I have often read that Lech is a snowy place and I have always found good conditions there. Do you have a source or figures for your statement with relative snow falls? I have never managed to find any.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dont worry yourself

Its allways good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's a really hard toss up as I have enjoyed both resorts over the last few years, even if both times there was difficult conditions. Last Feb was St Anton with limited snow but still great fun and a 30 cm dump for last day made it okay. For Davos we went the year previous in March and it didnt stop dumping for the whole week was great just that we couldn't ever see where we were going so was kinda restricted to Jakobshorn and a bit of tree skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What I like about St Anton last year was the numerous ungroomed marked pistes, they seem to have superb potential in good snow conditions!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy