Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Cenis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am considering going to Val Cenis in March but would be grateful for feedback on the skiing there. I went to Sauze and La Rosiere last year and found both a bit on the small side but just about OK for my current early intermediate level (happy with reds and the odd easy black provided the snow is good, once it gets icy I lose the plot on anything harder than a wide blue).

Do the slopes at Val Cenis get slushy/ icy (really didn't like the way La Ros turned to slush by early afternoon) or do they stay more like eg. Courchevel 1650 ?

How does the extent (particularly the red runs) compare with eg. La Rosiere ? I realise it is not a large resort and one of my reasons for possibly going to Val Cenis is because I need to do some of the smalller reports now before I become a high mileage basher. I won't have a car and will probably be doing group lessons with ESF so unfortunately the proximity of other resorts won't be of any use to me.

Any help would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
truffaut, If you found the 400km of the Milky way and the 150km of the Espace San Bernado small then the 80km of Val Cenis may not suit. Slush is dependant on temperature and the direction that the slopes face. If you want low temps (in general) go for high Northern facing slopes. I have has slush in early January at 2500m in La Plagne and would summise that the weather sytem over a resort often plays a big part in the temperature.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
truffaut,
I have been to Val Cenis once and don't know it that well
I visited in April you could ski all the way to the bottom but the whole area was not open and it was generally a 'poor snow year'in France particulary the more Southern alps, conditions in Val Cenis were reasonable but not outstanding.

The ski area is not large but is pretty good fun. I don't remember the red runs being dramatically different from elsewhere including La Ros. As far as slush/ ice is concerned It obviously depends very much on the weather at the time. The majority of runs are northish facing, the top is roughly 2700m and the bottom about 1400m from memory. Depending on when you go in March I would expect the top half of the mountain to remain in good condition throughout the month, the bottom half will get soft during the day as the month progresses. The exact conditions will vary a lot year to year.

We had a car but even without a car I expect it would be very easy to get to and from Termignon in one direction and Bonneval in the other by bus, both are close by. We skied at Bonneval the following week and really enjoyed it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is about the bigest in the group (except perhaps Val Frejus which is the furthest away), but though it is a nice village and uncrowded and great value, the ski area is a bit small for a week - you do need to spend a little time in the other resorts in the valley (Boneval is nice). There is a shuttle bus for some of them, I think.
I was skiing off piste, which is good if you have transport and, since nobody else does it - it never gets skied out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
truffaut, As someone who has spent a lot of time in Val Cenis over the last few winters, including as late as 27th April, I can only remember a couple of days when it was not possibe to ski back to 1400m (circa easter 2002). The snow does tend to last reasonably well during the day, with a few slushy areas appearing near bottlenecks - But no worse than any other resort. As others have mentioned it is a 'small' resort (in terms on km pisted) but don't let that put you off, there should be enough to keep you happy for a week.
There is the possibility of using the local buses for day trips to Termignon or Bonneval, so not having a car shouldn't be a worry.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in Val Cenis last year at the start of March. Overall it was a pleasant resort and as an early intermediate there was quite a bit of ground to explore. At the top of the mountain it is fairly wide and open.

My one compliant, as you have identified, was that by early afternoon it got very slushy towards the bottom. We went with some family members who are beginners and they were finding that on the longest run (L'Escargot) they were having to take ski's off and walk the last half mile. On the positive side of the slush, it was warm enough to eat lunch outside with just a Tshirt on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
truffaut wrote:
I went to Sauze and La Rosiere last year and found both a bit on the small side but just about OK for my current early intermediate level

But Sauze is part of an enormous linked area!!!!! I assume you skied the Sestrierre area but did you ski Montgenevre for example?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
truffaut wrote:
I went to Sauze and La Rosiere last year and found both a bit on the small side but just about OK for my current early intermediate level

But Sauze is part of an enormous linked area!!!!! I assume you skied the Sestriere area but did you ski Montgenevre for example?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think he may be reffering to the small southern french ski resort called Super Sauze. i may be wrong though.

http://www.sauze.com/index.php

I dont think many people find sauze d'oulx small, unless the snow was terrible.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies. If you exclude La Thuile then Val Cenis is 70% bigger than La Rosiere and goodness knows how many times bigger than Sauze d'Oulx's skiable area last year, which combined with north facing slopes means I will probably go for it provided the snow is looking good there nearer the time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy