Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Monster 72s in powder?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on doing some off piste courses this season and a lot more off piste.
I have some Head Monster 72 skis but I don't know how these are gonna be in powder.
Anyone think they'll be okay?
...or should I chuck them on eBay and invest in some wider skis like Monster 88s or Rossignol Bandits, or other?

Edit:
6ft
75kgs
fairly aggressive skier, mainly on piste and some off piste on the side of groomers but want to get more into off piste and deep powder.
Ski needs to be fairly quick edge to edge as I like carving up groomers.
Must have good hold equivalent to my 72s, which are absolutely briliant on ice in particular but handle most stuff.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 7-11-07 12:36; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, You prob need to include some details about yourself for people to answer this one. Any ski is OK Off Piste but not all skis are suited to every skier.
I know for some the Monster 72 would be OK but for someone like myself, 17stone, 6 foot lard with not the best technique, it's not going to give me a whole lot of float.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, go fatter - it's easier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But I like carving as well so need something tat can do this quickly edge to edge on groomers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman wrote:
But I like carving as well so need something tat can do this quickly edge to edge on groomers.

Then keep the 72's 'n get a wider pair too!! Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On second thoughts, ditch the 72's and buy a pair of slalom/GS skis at 65 underfoot and another pair at 90+.

Oh yes, you know it makes sense. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure I can justify spending money on 2 pairs of skis especially as I only bought the 72s last year! Smile
However, I can justify to myself selling a pair 2nd hand every year and getting some new ones Shocked
SO, I need a one ski quiver type...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scott Missions.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
Scott Missions.....

Not easy to get hold of in UK for a cheap price are they?
I have found buying from some German stores on eBay by far the most value and try to avoid SNow & Rock as much as possible as they are 1.5-2x the price.
ANy others?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feed the monsters some pies so they are 82's.... or get some Movement Sparks. Stormriders XL..although not much fatter? I'll wager the last two hold a better egde than the Head 72's and will be as quick.....if you are..!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Scott Missions.....

Not easy to get hold of in UK for a cheap price are they?
I have found buying from some German stores on eBay by far the most value and try to avoid SNow & Rock as much as possible as they are 1.5-2x the price.
ANy others?

You didn't mention price as a consideration!!

However I got mine from these guys:

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?language=en

I think a certain zookeeper may well be stocking them in Chamonix as well...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GordonFreeman, stick with what you've got for the moment, if you like them. A lot of skiers (me included! Blush ) use wider skis off-piste to compensate for dodgy technique. If you are def getting the off-piste lessons then you are doing the right thing - learn the techniques first, then you will get even more out of the wider skis you might hire for future powder days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've skied on some fattish Monsters in Verbier last season (around 90mm waist, can't remember exactly, maybe they were 88s) and they were quite stiff and hard work offpiste (not much powder, either, I think that with more powder they'd have been even more awkward). They did the job though. 72s may be too narrow, although you're quite a bit thinner than me...

I second the Scott Missions suggestion - a very versatile ski. You might also try Adrenaline for them, I've got some for 385 Euros plus postage from them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ya know, there's a reason the 72s are no longer called Monster.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will my Tyrolia railflex bindings go on the Missions?
I'm guessing the S12 or S10's might be better...
snow report
The only thing that I would say with the Missions (which I love) is that they respond better to a heavier aggressive skier and that at 75kgs you may be slightly light for them.
snow report
What about Rossi B3s?
K2 Public Enemy
?
ski holidays
GordonFreeman wrote:
I'm planning on doing some off piste courses this season and a lot more off piste.
I have some Head Monster 72 skis but I don't know how these are gonna be in powder.

They are a lot fatter than the skis I learned to ski off-piste on. 72mm is not too bad, I regularly ski 65mm underfoot in powder but would probably suggest more like 80mm but relatively short for learning powder. What have you got 72mm in 180cm? That should do the trick if they are reasonably soft.

Skiing powder is like making love to a beautiful woman, you don't want to intellectualize the process but just stay centered, plant your pole now and again and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 7-11-07 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
72=chopsticks

If you rally need 1 ski quiver (Horrible idea!) Scott Punishers it has to be...you are quite light, they are a bit softer than Missions and you will be able to stomp that Misty 540 Switch with the twin tips.
snow report
davidof wrote:

What have you got 72mm in 180cm? That should do the trick if they are reasonably soft.

170cm. Head would have you believe that the technology in the MOnsters makes them stiffer as you ride harder...just like a beautiful woman.
I find longer than that more difficult to control...
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, as you're six foot, then that may be part of your problem, 170cm great for firm pistes, but a little short for off piste IMO. If you are a competent skier, going up in length may take a little getting used to (it took me a day or two to get used to 10cm extra), but should also help with float in deeper powder.

rungsp, I'd read that about the Punisher's as well. I think it was in the Fall Line ski test.
latest report
I'll try these out but is this a god deal...not too sure about the binding:
Scott Punisher 2008 + Salomon Z12 Binding: £360.00
They come in 172 or 182...just worried that the 182 is going to be a bit long...

There is of course the Scott Santiago Mission 2006 version for a bit cheaper without binding
snow report
GordonFreeman wrote:
There is of course the Scott Santiago Mission 2006 version for a bit cheaper without binding

Good ski, don't think they've changed it much.
snow conditions
Rossignol BANDIT B2 + AXIUM 110 in 174 ?
ALso saw some older Scott MISSION + AXIUM 110 but only in 168 - can't be long enough for powder surely?
ski holidays
Gordon

scotts seem to be very in vogue recently but the heads are are also great choice. I skied a season in the 75s a couple of years back and my partner skied the monster lightenings and beleive me they kick back bottom. I found with the very very variable conditions we had in the alps and being them quite stiff which really helped me when hitting crud/slush/chow at speed although you can really enjoy them at slow speed. They carved pretty good on ice to and survived me exercising my rock/human interface a good few times. they seemed to turn nice and quick for me to as I still like skiing in the old school hot-dogging mogul busting style. At your size you could probably muster the next size up though
snow report
I wanted to try the Punishers at the PSB but they'd only got them mounted as tele's when I got to the stand Sad So I took the Missions for a run instead.
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, all imho and will probably be considered heresy by many sH but I like to simplistically think that the heavier you are the more area of ski you need to support yourself, so that if you are light you don't need such fat skis. Thus you at 75kg would get as much flotation from 88mm skis as a more robust sH weighing in at 85kg would on 100mm skis assuming skis of equal length. Height plays a role in leverage on a ski so that if tall you need longer skis, but that makes it easier to compare by looking at people of your height who are heavier and recommend wider skis.

Conversely if short then as you need shorter skis, you can't simply get away with skis narrower by proportion to weight. For instance a 168cm 65kg man on 168cm skis would need 76mm skis to get as much flotation as a 183cm 84kg man on 183cm 90mm skis. Doing the calculation on weight alone would indicate he'd get away with 69mm skis but that'd be assuming 183cm skis!
latest report
GordonFreeman, I'm 72 kg and 6' 2" and found Missions a bit too much ski last year (on ice...) Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmmm in view of what Sharkymark said, and Kramer says, the Mission sounds like it needs driving...so if you have the skills or weight to do that, then they might be ok for you. The Punisher is supposed to be softer so is an option but as a twin tip will likely ski short ( 182 should be ok, in that respect as the twin will take off 5-10cms, but you still get the surface area..again this might help you for the occasional forays.
If you spend the best part of your time OP, then get a ski to do that well and make the compromise on-piste.

If you know and like the Head, do they make a wider model ...? the M75 was ok a few years back and they say the M82 is a V good allrounder.

If you have 15 weeks plus, then the above skis should be skiable
snow report
 brian
brian
JT wrote:
Stormriders XL..although not much fatter?

This year's Stormriders are available in some new geometries:

L: 116-76-106
XL: 116-75-102
XXL: 122-80-108
XXXL: 122-89-112
DP Pro: 125-94-111
TT: 125-95-111 (twin tip)

The L is meant to be softer than the XL, so a replacement for the AT, but unlike the AT is wood cored.
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, As you find the Monsters to be great most of the time why not keep them and hire a proper fat pair on the days when there's serious off piste needing skied?

I demo'd the K2 Outlaw last season for a couple of days and enjoyed them in heavy April off-piste conditions more than I would have done on my own skis. Head height + 5cm worked fine (skis were 174).

Stuart.
snow conditions
iM72s are fine in powder for what it's worth and won't hold you back from learning. I have them in 177 cm and weigh 90 kg. I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade them for wider more off-piste oriented skis if you're sticking with one ski for everything.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
iM72s are fine in powder for what it's worth and won't hold you back from learning. I have them in 177 cm and weigh 90 kg. I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade them for wider more off-piste oriented skis if you're sticking with one ski for everything.

Agreed. If you didn't have a good all-rounder, the Mission would be worth a look. If you fancy the Mission anyway, I'd sell the iM72 and add a narrower ski (although the Mission is also a v good all-rounder on its own). But as you have the Monster, I shouldn't bother changing unless you desperately want to
snow conditions
Even the people doing off piste clinics are suggesting some fatter skis.
What about K2 Public enemies?
...or I sell and get a piste set and an off piste set. Most of the people I go with would probably laugh at me for having 2 sets of skis though Wink
snow report
In terms of stiifness softer at the top I'd put the skis

Scott (Mission)
Head
Stockli

I'd suggest you want a softer flexing ski than the Scott's.
snow report
I skied iM72s a few years ago and was surprised how good they were in soft stuff. Very nice balance, seem to respond equally well to both finesse and lurching.
ski holidays
Maybe I should put the railflex back a bit if going off piste?
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, haven't you dumped the chopsticks for powder beasts yet Shocked
snow report
not yet. I was gonna rent some in resort for the serious stuff but wondered if in the meantime it might help putting the railflex back. However, that will be annoying when I'm on piste though...
latest report
GordonFreeman, don't even take them - hire phat!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy