Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OK LDA - poss next Summer - looks like a definite plan - YES!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
I have been reading Easiski's Summer LDA report and was feeling it didn't look a very attractive place at all this year, esp for nervous novice skiers with ice, slush and freak storms that resulted in a lift evacation (scary stuff) but various people have told me that impression of it is not accuate and assure me that I'd love it!

Now, as I have said before, Mr NewSkier is not a sports-animal in any shape or form (terrified of upsetting his back which does 'go' from time to time). He is however really supportive of me skiing and I'd love to be able to go away together somewhere that I can ski & he'll find amusement too. He can't stand being too hot, so cooler mountain air in the summer sounds up his street.

SO, what is the real low-down on a summer skiing visit to LDA?

1. How likely is it I'd plan it and find skiing was impossible or so difficult that confidence building & skill development could not happen?

2. Given that the answer to 1 is encouraging, is there a best time to pick within the summer, regarding crowds, price & conditions?

3. Is there accommodation to be had for 2 that has comfortable beds - no way could hubby sleep on a sofabed because of his back?

4. Would Easiski be up for the NewSkier Challenge!? Nervous novice with probably the least natural aptitude for skiing ever seen, but a fair bit of determination to succeed! (You never know, though, NewGen in Vallandry just might work wonders in Feb - I am still hoping for the elusive 'light bulb moment, when it all suddenly starts to come right!)

If this looks like a real possibility, I need to start working on him to persuade him he'd really fancy the trip relatively soon so the idea has time to grow! We have vague plans for a few days in Scotland around 21st June, when we have to be in Inverary anyway, but that is the only plan yet discussed for 2008 (apart from my Vallandry trip) and I'd like to get the ideas in before he gets some hair-brained scheme in mind!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 9-11-07 12:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, I am not an LDA expert by any means, but will do my best to help.

1&2 For the best glacier conditions go as early in the summer season as possible (it opened in mid-June last summer) , it will be less crowded, and accommodation will be lower priced.

3 PLenty of hotels and 1 bedroom apartments with proper beds. You will only get a sofabed if you book a studio.

4 Easiski is up for any challenge you throw at her. How many days skiing are you planning?

Why not combine a few days up in LDA with some time elsewhere in the area.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
NewSkier,

I've done 2 summer trips to Les Deux Alpes in 2005 and 2006, both in early July. We thoroughly enjoyed them and took advantage of easiski's absolutely bargain summer rates to get the kids off to a good start with their skiing. She had no problems with the challenges presented by my pair of toerags, so I should think you'll be a piece of cake wink

Some pics of '05:

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/540

and '06:

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/622

Accommodation prices are a bargain in the summer as well. If you're looking for self catering, I would recommend the Cortina apartments:

http://www.2alpes.com/summer/uk/site/votresejour/hebergements/r_cortina.html

They're a really good standard, well placed close to the Place de Venosc, have sauna/jacuzzi in the basement and a beautiful view of La Muzelle.

I agree with Helen, as far as the skiing's concerned, the earlier the better.

The Tour de France will be rolling past at some point (I think it visits the climb of L'Alpe d'Huez next year) which might be fun to see, I've managed to miss it by a few days both times rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, Even though I've been to L2A before, it took the PSB to show me how extensive the summer/glacier skiing can be....and it's gentle. For example, I had never appreciated that (with the exception of easiski ) all snowHead photos are taken from the restaurant / bar ( quelle surprise!) at the bottom of the glacier .... some way further to the top !

Yes .. it is a long way up , 3600m comes like that. snowHead

I will, hopefully, be going summer-skiing with Better Half this coming summer.

Easiski and 'challenges'. She doesn't brag ....so let's just say it would be a first for me to hear one of her pupils criticize her based upon what she does with us .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier,
You may find this thread useful:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=688265&highlight=les+deux+alpes+summer+easiski#688265

I went last summer ('07) and had a great time
On your questions n as much as I can answer.

1) On glacial terrain there will always be occcasional days where the weather does not allow skiing . We had good weather for a full week and reckon you would be unlucky to lose more than the odd day.

2) Easiski will give you the best answer but I would think the earliest time possible after the sumer season starts as there is likely to be overall a deterioration through the sumer with the odd improvement due to new snow the is not forseeable when booking.

3) We had a cheap but very comfortable appartment no sofa beds.

4)Our lessons were excellent and it sounds like the type of thing Easiki is up for but best contact her yourself.

Good Luck snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to L2A last July and really loved it.

To be honest I only spent two mornings on the glacier. Unfortunatly my legs became quite sunburnt wandering around the village in shorts so skiing became less enticing.

There are a thousand other things to do in L2A and around that area. The highlight of my week was actually visiting a couple of small towns just over the Italian border.

Go! You won't regret it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSkier, Last thing before turning off for the night! Shocked

You should come in mid June if you don't have any kids in school to worry about. The weather is usually better then and the snow is also better. It's not quite as hot as later in the year, but should be pleasantly warm. More of the glacier will be open (Roche Mantel and Signal) so there will be more variety (and chair lifts) Very Happy

there are loads of things for the Mr to do, so there's no way he'll be bored. Your idea to drive is the best though as he might want to wander off to other spots while you're skiing or you may even want to go together after skiing. Shocked wink

What do you mean about comfortable beds? I always find hotel beds much too hard for my bad back, but your hubs may be different. Lots of choice on the hotel front, and they're unlikely to be fully booked if you come in mid-June (they may not all be open then though!)

You'd have to be unlucky to lose more than one day's skiing in the week, and the extraordinary wind events of last year have never been seen before and hopefully will never be seen again. However rest assured, if it's anything like that I should make you walk down too.

Ski hire open and running so no probs with equipment - it's the real mcCoy!!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Easiski
About beds - I have past experience of accommodation where the 'beds' for two are all sofabeds and crippling! I know what you mean about hard hotel beds and am really pleased that the Travelodgem TravelInn & InnKeepers Lodge chains have all started to use softer ones - that's where we normally stay if away in the uk, esp as some of the price deals are excellent now, managed a room for £15 the night before Megamum's birthday bash!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NewSkier, If you're wanting some ideas I suggest you email me and I'll pop some in. there are snowheads with apartments available, including one fab apartment (double bed) close to where I live - that would be nice in summer. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi
Will email you, because I broached the subject and he said YES! He was actually positively enthusiastic, and said he really would fancy driving down!! We have to be in Inverary, Scotland Sat 21st June, and the plan had been to spend a week or so in that area - then I spotted the flaw in that plan - Scottish MIDGES! As soon as I mentioned them, he immediately lost interest in spending too long there, esp when I reminded him friends of ours came back eaten alive this year in June, so that frees up the time to do something else - WOOHOO!!! Summer skiing 2008 here I come!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NewSkier wrote:
Hi
Scottish MIDGES! As soon as I mentioned them, he immediately lost interest in spending too long there, esp when I reminded him friends of ours came back eaten alive this year in June, so that frees up the time to do something else - WOOHOO!!! Summer skiing 2008 here I come!

Avon skin so soft spray oil really works! I used it last year when up at Loch Ness and the only place I got bitten was UNDER my clothes where I hadn't sprayed it, so put it on before you get dressed Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier, you can have a bit of a wine tour on the way down, a night in Champagne, or a night in Burgundy or beaujolais. A small detour would take you to the Rhone. Make sure you arrive early enough in the afternoon to taste the wine then head off after breakfast next morning for a new destination. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynseyf, Thanks, Shh - don't tell hubby though in case he decides he wants to stay longer in Scotland!!

Helen Beaumont, Thanks for the tip - sounds a great idea!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier,
Sounds great, if you ar thinking of driving all the way to Inverary from LDA or the other way round I would recommend either the ROsyth Zeebrugge ferry or generally cheaper but increases the driving the Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont wrote:
NewSkier, you can have a bit of a wine tour on the way down, a night in Champagne, or a night in Burgundy or beaujolais. A small detour would take you to the Rhone. Make sure you arrive early enough in the afternoon to taste the wine then head off after breakfast next morning for a new destination. Very Happy

last year we had a night in Beaune (Burgundy) followed by a night in Reims (Champagne) on the way home from skiing at LDA so NewSkier, you could do one on the way down and the other on the way home!
latest report
NewSkier, I have a blog linked to my website, with details of hotels on the route down to the Alps. Links to hotels and such-like. It might be useful for you.

http://chamoissiere.wordpress.com/getting-there/
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
NewSkier,
Sounds great, if you ar thinking of driving all the way to Inverary from LDA or the other way round I would recommend either the ROsyth Zeebrugge ferry or generally cheaper but increases the driving the Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry.

Thanks, but I think we will probably come back home for a couple of days, then drive down to Dover to time it to arrive in LDA for the following Saturday, as the apartment we're looking at renting prefers Sat/Sat lets. Also, I don't get on with long boats trips too well Going green The only one I have tolerated well was the new absolutely MASSIVE Hull-Rotterdam ferry for which they had to build a new dock out in the Humber as the ships are too big for the lock accessing the old one. I don't however think there'd be any benefit in driving down from Rotterdam over driving to Dover from N Lincs. If you're interested here's a few details of these ferries, which are reputed to be the largest in the world at present:

60,600-ton, 215 metres long, 31 metres wide and can carry 1,360 passengers. 12 Decks. Car deck accommodates 250 vehicles and is accessed through a side entrance to the ship. The three freight decks have a capacity of 3,400 running metres including 1,500 running metres for double stacked containers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, thanks, that's really helpful.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy