Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Skitrain (update)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm afraid I may have mislead people about the price of going to Bourg St Maurice by this service (changing in Paris). But this is only because RailEurope mislead me.

I was quoted £59 for Eurostar so long as I booked quickly when the tickets became available (120 days before).
The thing they don't tell you is that, since you must book 120 days before the return journey to get the return price, the cheap tickets get snapped up by people staying less than a week. The full price is £150 for a return. I only got the cheap seats for coming back (which had only just become available) so I paid £109. I am, to say the least, annoyed.
However the cheap seats (or rather, beds) for the couchette to Bourg from Paris you can book separately for going and returning (90 days before the journey), and those really are cheap. I think it is safer to do that - I don't want to have the small number of cheap seats get sold before I can get them.... Again.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 25-11-07 13:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good point, wierd that you cant book each leg seperately. having to take a punt on the eurostar tickets a month before the overnight service comes available seems a bit risky and makes the non stop eurostar a bit more attractive...

how much do you recon it is all in including the sleeper? i couldnt even see the timetable let alone prices on the sncf site.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When the various rail companies get their acts together and make it as easy to book train tickets as it is to book airfares then I'll be a regular user of the train. But snowball's experience is typical of why I very rarely take the train. It's too much hassle to book the tickets, and you can't plan far enough in advance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, you can book each leg separately: you just don't get the £29.50 fare unless you book a return.
If you book now for Monday 3rd March one-way the cheapest fare (2nd class) is £44.
If you then book the same day, but now enter you intend to return the following day (March 4th), the fare is £29.50.
So if you want to book a return journey at a peak time you have a tricky decision to make: grab the £44 fare and accept it will be £88 return.
Or wait and gamble there will still be some cheap seats available for the outward journey when the seats for the return journey become available. At low season (January or April), when I usually go, I have always managed to get to the cheap fare both ways. At peak season i would accept the £44 single.
I agree with snowball this is annoying and does not do Eurostar any favours at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, thanks but it all seems very complicated and then you have to worry about getting the sleeper as well. How much is it all in to the alps ?

for instance i paid 164 for a return on eurostar london to moutier and it was a one stop shop... the only reason i would hassle with the couchette service is a better sleeping arrangement.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The man I dealt with quoted £ 23 each way for the French train, but he may not have added the extra for the couchette, since I was previously (a few months ago) quoted £67 for both ways. It would be good to be told the same thing twice!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, I have found booking trains no more complicated than booking planes.
You can do it for £111: £59 return on Eurostar, £52 return sleeper to Bourg St Maurice (or Moutiers).

snowball, the fares vary from train to train. The cheapest day fare I've seen this £16.50 single, Paris to Bourg, Thursday January 3rd 2008.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It all sounded very simple (I have been offered the same train every time). The £59 Eurostar you are unlikely to get as I found out on Friday and detailed above. There are only a few on each train. If you go early on the Friday morning you could pay that much, but you would then need to spend the whole day in Paris (no problem if you have the day free, of course). The afternoon trains had all had their cheap tickets sold already.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, 120 days from now takes you to the beginning of March - High Season and bound to have problems.

I have a solution.
It uses the power of snowheads. Plus a little organisation and a little trust.

I presume you wanted to go out late Friday afternoon and come back 9 days later early Sunday morning.
To get the cheapest fare you needed to book a return, but couldn't book until 120 days before the return journey which allowed other sods to grab the outgoing cheap fare - yes?
Well, it seems there are quite a few snowheads who use the train. We should play the system.

Imagine there are snowheads going out on Eurostar every weekend
Say, I want to go skiing Feb 16-23, you want to go Feb 23-March 01, and Asnowhead is going March 01-08
You want outward Eurostar on Friday Feb 22 and return Eurostar Sunday March 02 - normally you would only be able to book the whole journey on March 02
Instead now we each just book for the weekend: you book on Sunday Feb 24 for out Feb 22 and back Feb 24.
We are each booking 7 days earlier than usual and should get the £29.50 fare.
Then we shuffle the tickets.
I get your Sunday ticket, and you get the Sunday March 02 ticket from Asnowhead.
Voilà
Lots of happy snowheads. snowHead snowHead

(Someone is bound to point out the problem of the first and last person in this relay - but in low season I have alwasy managed to get the cheap fares when booking for the whole 9 days)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, I would like the cheapest possible combination for 5th April return 12th or 13th April 2008
Ashford - Aime Daytime if poss. Cheapest Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah . . .
Teensy weensy error in previous post.
I forgot to mention my commission Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, Toofy Grin Sorry Sir, We dont pay commision, company policy Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, yes, I come back on Sunday, 2nd March.
Good idea for anyone going later though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latest update on this: I am even angrier!!! Evil or Very Mad
3 weeks ago Rail Europe had confirmed that the French tickets would come on sale 90 days before travel. To avoid the same thing happening which happened with Eurostar I could book each leg separately.
Yesterday it came to the time to book the French couchettes from Paris to Bourg St Maurice. I was told that the French had issued the tickets a couple of weeks early without informing them in advance (because it was the Paris area school holidays). Consequently they were all gone and I must pay the full fare, which is twice as much. Grrrrrr! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, thanks for the update, sounds to me that you should only book Eurostar and the sleeper at the same time 90 days before or who knows..

how much was the full fare out of curiousity... Dont mean to get you even angrier snowHead
latest report
Clever solution Jonpim. Only problem I think may be that the ticket has to be used by the named traveller.

Incidentally, I travel regularly to Canada, and do something similar. My preferred travel is outbound Sunday evening; home Friday evening. That means no Saturday night away, so the airlines assume you are going on business and try to rip you off with a fare of around £1400 (economy!).

I've now started planning two trips at a time and book 2 tickets as follows:

Heathrow to Toronto: Outbound at start of trip 1; return at end of trip 2
Toronto to Heathrow: Outbound (i.e. back to heathrow) at end of trip 1; Return (i.e. outbound from Heathrow) at start of Trip 2.

I now have 2 tickets that each look like several weeks' duration to the airline, and include the critical Saturday night away to get into leisure fares. Cost for 2 tickets: around £850.

There's always a way!
snow conditions
snowball, sorry to break it to you but Raileurope have always been rather rubbish at French tickets - which is ironic given that it's their main job and they are part owned by SNCF.
SNCF always release all the Feb tickets in one shot because it's the holiday season (they do the same with Xmas tickets) and let's face it, as their UK agents, it really oughtn't to take Raileurope by surprise.

I always by my French tickets direct from SNCF but some people find their site difficult to negotiate so I made a form specifically to book the French snowtrain.
It defaults to the dates of the EoSB but, naturally you can choose what you like.
ski holidays
PaulClark wrote:

I think may be that the ticket has to be used by the named traveller
No, it's OK. That concerned me when buying tickets for Frau Admin to come down to the PSB because the tickets have the name of the person who purchased them printed on them. However that person doesn't have to be present when the ticket is used.
snow report
skimottaret, The cut price return fare for Eurostar (300 tickets I think) is £59 return - full price is £150.
Cut price couchettes (return) is £67, full price is £127.50 (this is each for a group of 6 - not sure if there was any reduction for a group)
snow report
snowball, thanks, 278 is pretty steep but 126 very good if you can get it, tough call to book up early....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy