Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last Seasons goals, how did you get on?

Poster: A snowHead
There is a nice thread going for the snowboards on this subject and i thought i would nick their idea and get one started for proper skiers NehNeh

What did you set out to learn last year? What did you actually learn?

What didn't you learn and why? What are your goals for this year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, great idea.

.. if we put things down here then we are more likely to push ourselves that bit harder to achieve our goals in fear of being ridiculed by the snowHead community Toofy Grin

Gulp.. so here goes.

- ISIA cert.
- CSCF
- CSIA Park and Pipe Exam - done the course but think I need to be a wee bit less of a Jessie about things to sit the exam ....must tuck balls up and go for it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I set my goal to enjoy myself on the snow, take it as it comes and ski what I find.

I succeeded Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:
I set my goal to enjoy myself on the snow, take it as it comes and ski what I find.

I succeeded Smile

Same here. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last seasons goals:
1)Recover from ESA disaster (loss of confidence, fear of new resorts and instructors further ingrained)

2) Learn to self start and become less reliant on instructor input for different changes(new skis/conditions etc)(This stems from 1 as I wanted to never be at the mercy of a rude instructor again)

3) become less of an "edge addict"

4) Get a Nastar Gold medal - Ok this was Fastman's goal for me I thought he was being overly ambitious and would have been happy with silver or even feeling less scared in a race course than total terror

5) Develop more confidence with my skiing - start to believe I was able to be the skier I was being told I could become from my technical base

6) Continue with the "learn to dance with the mountain" campaign

7) Try to get more sorted with the foot/leg/hip pain that plagued me

Cool Ski more relaxed

9) Dial in short turns better after the work and confidence boost from the Livigno mob

Achieved
1) & 2) Huge thanks to Easiski and Fastman who really helped me along with this

3) Big thumbs up to Easiski here.... she had me on a program at both the PSB and Christmas that really showed even by the time I went to Colorado in march

4) Thankyou Fastman not only did I get that Nastar gold on my second day in the course but I am within 1 second of a platinum and keen to continue with racing stuff

5) Again big thanks to Easiski and Fastman who have been gentling me along the roads I need to walk also to my ex and one of my ski buddies from back home who have continued to encourage me to become this skier.... also my instructors back home

6) Big Thankyou to Easiski ,lampbus,Fastman,Heluvaskier, Double Diamond and heluvadad who dragged me round one snowy day.... also to Mike and ??Tiffany?? and Uncle Louie and Lewbob and DonDenver from epic

7) Thanks to easiskis bootfitter and the podiatrist at Sidas.... with orthotics from Sidas I now no longer ski in constant pain each turn... Thankyou to Brent Amsbury from park city utah who helped me with the fore/aft bit...

Cool Big thank you to everyone from snow heads who skied with me...

9) Missed this one - oh well.... I still think the skills from the other stuff will carry forward and help when I get back to this one

Also huge thanks to Annie and family who cheered for me when I skied stuff I thought I would not.... and helped me learn to believe in me!

Goals for this season:
1) Nastar Platinum medal then start to chip away at my handicap...

2) Ski in Livigno again with recently retired world cup racer... see if i can do a better job living up to his expectations this time around

3) Learn to use real WC GS skis properly

4) Learn to do a retraction/pivot to carve turn in some manner (not expecting to perfect this at all)

5)Increase speed tolerance....

6) learn to use Big troubles

7) Continue with 3 5 6 8 & 9 from above
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm probably awimp but I don'tset myself goals for my holidays and try not to allow other people to set me goals at work either. Embarassed Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, Laughing Actually you sound fairly normal - what are you doing on here?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last Years
1. learn to parralel Turn (did in first morning on snow after 6 hours on dry slopes)
2. enjoy it (one of favourite holidays ever)
3. develop my french speaking for my exams and for future holidays (learnt and spoke a lot, but i still wish i was better)

This Years
1. push my self to the extent that i can get as much enjoyment/thrills out of it
2. try some blacks
3. Improve my turing technique. more control and tighter turns at more speed
4. Genreally enjoy it as much as possible
5. This year will be the last ski holiday with the family Sad (NOT) so hopefully get more freedom and try harder stuff and leave my dad and sister who are keeping me behind, having to spend about 2 hours a day pottering about on motorways untill me and mum finally go off. sounds selfish, but we'll all enjoy ourselves more. and spend more time skiing with my mum who is a very experienced skiier and enjoy one of the last ever family holidays.
6. Organise a succesful holiday for the family
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
okay I will have a go

last years goal was to get my basi 3 license and continue to have FUN. we also bought an apartment and it needed sorting out.

Managed all three but had a few days during training when i got frustrated and had to remind myself this isnt work and is all about having a good time. The place is all set up now and looking forward to using it more and more, so overall mission accomplished last season but realised that i have loads to learn to be able to ski well. snowHead

This years goals were to learn how to ski gates and pass the Test Technique, carry on with more BASI training, improve my fitness, Learn how to do the "worm turn" AND continue to have FUN...

Started to do slalom training on plastic and have realised how difficult it is and the TT goal is impossible so put that back a few years
have two BASI courses booked and would like to pass both but one will be okay
will be practising the worm turn as soon as some soft snow comes my way.. Toofy Grin
fitness is starting off badly this year but hope to be in shape by the end of the season

specifically want to:
be able to put the skis on edge early to initiate a turn as opposed to skidding.
get my lard *ss forward, stand taller and stop waist breaking
Overcome my fear of gullies and traverses
be able to beat most of the teenagers in a race
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last seasons goals:
1. Do all three ESAs - they work for me.
2. Ski at least 2 new resorts - managed about 8, I think.
3. Ski in the Vosges. Failed miserably due to lack of snow.
4. Enjoy myself.

This season:
1. One ESA, and a trip to Utah.
2. Enjoy myself.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This season:
1. trip to Utah
2. no injuries
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard,
I'm probably as bad as anyone else I do actually want to ski a bit better (And went to L2A glacier this summer to try) Just not very goal orientated Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Goal for last season was to go twice. Once with the kids and once without.

Thanks to the mother in law for sorting number 2 option.

Goal for this season. To do the same again and dates booked Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. Have fun - check Very Happy
2. Improve - check Toofy Grin
3. Ski more than 30 days - check snowHead

They are the same for this year rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last season:

1. Have fun
2. BASI 3
3. Meet and ski with some Morzine locals
4. Vallee Blanche
5. Improve my off-piste skiing
6. Survive La Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvee

All achieved and lots of laughs had.

This season:

1. Have fun
2. BASI Mountain safety module
3. Get started on telemark
4. Start training toward my ISIA
5. Learn to let go and just get f*&&*^g on with it rolling eyes
snow report
Get a life...
latest report
Last season - Can't remember exactly:

1 Have fun
2 Get some fresh
3 Be able to walk at the end of the season

Achieved

Next season:

Same again will do.
latest report
My goal for this year skiing wise was to become unconsciously competent (and I should have picked something that I could spell). I didn't achieve it on holiday, but got close once or twice at MK, when I got down and had actually enjoyed doing so, i.e it hadn't just been one big 'one big think' as I went down.

This year to continue this quest, also to learn to do carved parallel turns properly and make them S shapes not Zeds. To ski on a different slope and to try out my new skis Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Get a life...

was that your goal? did you achieve it? NehNeh
snow report
Megamum, if everything is "one big think" (and I know what you mean, I was doing that on the snowboard) then you should try skiing to music that you really like. It does help you relax, which is half the battle. It's especially good if the weather is a bit grim and gloomy.
snow conditions
pam w, are you sure you really want to open that can of worms again? Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret,

didn't need to, I have one, and I don't have to thank the world for it..Laughing all my own work Laughing Laughing Laughing

as for the skiing...had fun, skied crap at times, but many good memories. Know what I need to do for next year..... which will be more fun
snow report
1. Drink Mutzig until I lose ability to see - check
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Last season - Can't remember exactly:

1 Have fun
2 Get some fresh
3 Be able to walk at the end of the season

Achieved

Next season:

Same again will do.

Sub in 2 - Get a bit better
ski holidays
Enjoy holiday - check (as far as it went)

With hindsight, another goal should have been not to injure myself - failed miserably Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
What's with the "have fun" goal ? How could you not ? Surely you'd have given it up if you weren't ?

Puzzled
snow conditions
brian, we all have fun in different ways.
latest report
brian wrote:
What's with the "have fun" goal ? How could you not ? Surely you'd have given it up if you weren't ?

Puzzled

Not necessarily - the more you do the more chance there will be a day when you just feel a bit bummed out because the snow's crap, there's too many people , its raining, you've just put a big hole in your skis etc. Then you have to remember that its still 100x better than being at work and its great again. wink
snow report
 brian
brian
fatbob, ah I see, so it's mental conditioning for people that didn't have a battle hardened Scottish skiing upbringing ? wink
ski holidays
brian wrote:

Puzzled

Maybe it's just me, but setting goals and analysiing your skiing to the nth degree just doesn't interest me in the slightest, hence my slightly sarcastic reply Wink

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
Quote:

As it happens, I had fun right up to the moment when I suddenly had need of the blood wagon. I haven't given it up - it's just been a temporary interruption Confused
snow report
Learn to win a Facebook scrabble game Razz

oops wrong thread !
latest report
Last Year
---------
1. Find out if I liked skiing enough to try to learn to do it acceptably well (I DO, I DO!)

2. Assuming the answer to 1 was YES, learn to ski blue slopes competently and in perfect control (Failed Crying or Very sad )

This year
----------
1. Ski more than a couple of hours a day when away, as the weather/conditions just HAVE to be an improvement on last year's

2. Learn to ski blue slopes confidently without a look of white terror on my face!

3.Dispense with the need for a snowplough, complete with totally ineffective but nonetheless very strongly applied "toe brakes" inside my boots whenever the slope is a bit steeper, by achieving basic parallel turns.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, what is an ESA ?
latest report
mrtoastie wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, what is an ESA ?

Its Epic Ski Academy

http://esa.epicski.com/main.shtml

regards,
greg
snow conditions
debbi, Laughing
snow conditions
kitenski, cheers
latest report
my seasons goals are always the same, to be smiling, and have as much fun as is possible. fortunately i manage this every season
ski holidays
Goal: to get the hang of (or at least vaguely comfortable with) skiing switch. Result: bruised ass and no progress Smile

My skiing in general had definitely gone backwards though - not skiing for 3 years really does have an effect Sad
snow report
mark_s wrote:
Goal: to get the hang of (or at least vaguely comfortable with) skiing switch.

mark_s wrote:
My skiing in general had definitely gone backwards though

That would be that switch skiing then. Laughing

My goal last year was not to learn to ski, I achieved that. Smile
This year I'd also like not to learn to ski, fingers crossed I can make it 2 for 2.

Awesome thread by the way Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy