Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first boots - are uk shops good enought to fit ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

first, sorry to ask the SAME question as many others...... Embarassed but

I want to get some properly fitting ski boots, but I don't necessarily trust UK shops to know enough to do this right.

I'm planning to go to TIGNES for a week start feb - do I get fitted and buy boots there OR in the UK ? my french is awful, and I might risk spending the first few days breaking the boots-in rather than enjoying myself ?

I'm in Cardiff - any shops near-ish that are anygood ? my options are probably S'n'R and E.B. in bristol.
OR should I take a big detour the next time i'm travelling north and go to lockwoods in lemington ? I am aware that I need to find skilled fitters and advice, not bargain prices - the right boot first time will always be cheaper.

I'm very much 'intermediate', I can get down smooth black runs / mogully-reds but not with much style. I have high arches that tend to collapse/over-pronate so I expect to get replacement foot-beds too.

Gareth.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The staff at S&R in Bristol didn't seem too clued up at boot fitting a few years back but Lockwoods definitely are and would certainly be worth the extra travel. Or there's snowHead snowhead CEM in Bicester who comes highly (and repeatedly) recommended.

I've used Lockwoods and after spending 3 hours getting something to fit my freak-feet I am happy that it can be done properly in the UK. Also, a decent fitter will no doubt offer aftersales support so when you're back home after a weeks' skiing and have found a small niggle you can get it sorted out for next time...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatgaz, I would advise against EB in Bristol if you are getting footbeds made; the one's I got custom made there last season nearly crippled me!

Everyone here speaks very highly about Lockwoods, but there is also the simple fact that you will get to ski in them and get any immediate adjustments required there and then if you buy in resort. I suppose, if you know you are definitely going to Tignes, it might be worth trying to find if anyone will recommend a bootfitter there or in Val D, otherwise any advantage you get from buying in resort could well be offset by the possible lesser standards that you would get compared to CEM or Lockwoods.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatgaz, welcome to snowheads. as has been mentioned, CEM in bicester has a good rep if you want to get fitted in the uk and don;t mind the travel.

In Tignes, Nevada sports in Tignes Le Lac has a good rep - do a search for them here and you'll see they;re frequently mentioned. All he does is boots - no skis or other stuff. I got mine done there and have been really pleased, and several other people both on here and in resort recommended him independently. He speaks enough english to get you fitted with boots, so limited french on your part is not a real problem.

I also have a problem with collapsing arches - I now have custom footbeds that I wear all the time, but I'm sure the nevada chappies (Franck I think - there's been mention of a bootfitter in Tignes callled Jo-Jo but I think he's up in Val Claret) can sort you something out - to get my boots fitting better he made me some footbeds using a heated thingummy (technical term) that will mold the soles to the shape of your feet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ Lockwoods or CEM in the UK I'd say - there are good fitters in some resorts abroad too but personally I'd rather use someone in the UK, but then I ski on plastic a lot here too as well as in Scotland and at Tamworth.

I haven't used Lockwoods but they come very much recommended by other Snowheads, I have used CEM to sort out my current boots, which were very badly fitted by Snow and Rock in Bristol a year ago, and to make me new footbeds to replace the joke ones S&R sold me. However, they've never been right so I've now gone back to CEM to order a new pair of boots and get them properly fitted.

I do have awkward feet so I guess I may need an expert like CEM more than most people but IMHO whatever your feet are like it really does pay to get them properly fitted and that means avoiding shops like S&R and EB where people have no serious experience of boot fitting, let alone their being qualified Pedorthists.

As I say the S&R I used was the Bristol one (just up the road from me) which is a nice store with nice staff but I'd never touch them again for boots, no problem with anything else but boots are seriously important and a poor fitting will give you grief for a long time and will spoil your enjoyment of skiing. As a result of the problems S&R caused (including not cutting their already poorly made footbeds to the correct length) I had a short trip last December spoilt because the boots caused me so much pain I couldn't even stand in them let alone turn properly, I then had my Xmas trip spoilt as well despite S&R doing some extra work on the boots before the trip and after Xmas I went back a number of times but they were completely clueless, to the extent of asking me what do next at one point, about how to ultimately fix the problems. As I say the major issues were then sorted out by CEM but the fact they'd actually sold me the wrong size and make of boot for my foot shape in the first place has meant the boots were never fully fit for purpose and I am now having to write them off as an expensive mistake.

BTW, CEMs website is here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyboy wrote:
fatgaz, I would advise against EB in Bristol if you are getting footbeds made; the one's I got custom made there last season nearly crippled me!

Hey, that makes two of us!

Interesting to discover that it wasn't just me, but then I suspected that might be the case! Toofy Grin

Maybe we should start a 'Crippled by S&R Bristol' club Wink
nbt wrote:
In Tignes, Nevada sports in Tignes Le Lac has a good rep - do a search for them here and you'll see they;re frequently mentioned. All he does is boots - no skis or other stuff. I got mine done there and have been really pleased, and several other people both on here and in resort recommended him independently. He speaks enough english to get you fitted with boots, so limited french on your part is not a real problem.

Yup, I was in there the week before last, whilst out on the Atomic Boot Camp.

I went in with a couple of other people from the chalet becauise one of them was having terrible problems with her boots. The guy in there seemed very good from what I could see but if you go to someone in resort make sure you do it at the start of your holiday so that you can go back for as many fittings as necessary, even better if you have more trips to the same resort later in the season so you can get any remaining issues ironed out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:

Hey, that makes two of us!

Interesting to discover that it wasn't just me, but then I suspected that might be the case! Toofy Grin

Maybe we should start a 'Crippled by S&R Bristol' club Wink

Errr, mine were from EB not S&R, but that means there really are no good options for buying in Bristol if you have dodgy feet. Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyboy wrote:
Errr, mine were from EB not S&R, but that means there really are no good options for buying in Bristol if you have dodgy feet. Sad Sad Sad

LOL, sorry I was so 'excited' to realise that someone else had been crippled by footbeds in Bristol that I missed the pertinent fact it was EB rather than S&R Embarassed Toofy Grin

As you say though it means that both shops here are offering the same poor service so there are no options in Bristol but I presumed EB would be little better anyway. I'd guess the same goes for other branches of both across the country too - I've certainly never seen anyone come on here and recommend either shop for bootfitting and logic suggests that when you're employing staff seasonally who have little or no experience of ski bootfitting, and perhaps more importantly feet, they just aren't up to the job, particularly when it comes to 'problem' feet.

So, how about a 'Crippled by S&R/EB Bristol' club Laughing

Luckily Bicester isn't too far away from Bristol though Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatgaz, The Ski Lodge in Barry is very good- I've bought all my ski boots there over the years and get my skis serviced there. Usually best to try and go in the week as it can get very busy at the weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice.

I won't waste my time in the bristol shops then ! i think its' the same situation in the chester / manchester area too.

I did go into 'the ski lodge' in barry just outside of cardiff, but i wasn't convinced that they knew very much about proper fitting. I do know that my current boots (which were hand-me-downs) are probably too big from just that visit.

I wonder if it may be best to get boots fitted (correct shell/last/size chosen) in the UK, and try to break them in (the liners) before i go out, then I know that there is a good boot fitter (nevada franck ?) in the tignes resort who can sort out any problems once I'm actually skiing all day ?

I think lockwoods is probably the easier option. I'm driving up to north wales in a fortnight so it's probably less of a detour. Are they any good at making custom footbeds ? OR the chap in tignes might be a better place to get this done ?

Am I right in thinking that 'CEM' does more 'problem solving' and higher-end / race fitting than the original sales side of things ?

cheers all,

Gareth.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lockwoods or CEM will sort out all your footbed needs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Am I right in thinking that 'CEM' does more 'problem solving' and higher-end / race fitting than the original sales side of things

No Toofy Grin In as much as people with problems go to CEM to sort them out.
Check out his website which will give you a clearer picture of what he does.
www.solutions4feet.co.uk
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you have any issues then go to CEM he will advise on the best boots to go for, there is a ski shop close to buy them from, then he will fine tune the fit, job done.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatgaz, I don't like criticising but a chum acquired boots at a well known retailer with initials including S and R. He didn't need fitting (touring boots) which was just as well as the very friendly chap who assisted admitted that he'd never even set hands on a pair of ski boots before the start of the season and had taught himself to fit the things rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oi DANGERMOUSE, My initals are S and R, hands up, you've blown the whistle on my blag you slag! Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, he he he - you know, of course, I am talking about a well known UK mountain sports chain. If it was you I was dissing, I'd have said initials = "F"...
ski holidays
argh !

can't decide if I should pop in to lockwoods tomorrow afternoon or leave my boot purchase until I get to the resort !

resort - my bad french & shopkeepers bad english risk confusion & having to faff about a lot trying to find a good boot fitter etc. instead of getting straight onto the slopes ...

uk - just my bad english - hopefully more time to get boots fitted - BUT tricky/impracticable to just pop back for a few fitting tweaks as lemington is not near me !

gareth. Puzzled
ski holidays
My dad has always had a problem with SnR in Bristol. They always sell him boots too small saying that 'they'll be ok to ski with'.
ski holidays
It is really hard to get a good fit if you can only ski a few weeks a season and you haven't already owned a few different pairs and worked out what you would change but I had a good experience many years ago with S and R and then a hopeless one..both foam...same shell design different boot technician...the first one listened the second was a know all twxt...and he fxxxxd up the foam....I threw them in the bin after 2 weeks.....this wasn't the only fitter that
tried to cripple me however, there was a delightful chap in S F in V d I who must have been descended from the Spanish Inquisition - pays your money and you takes your choice...often the wrong one but live and learn. Shocked
snow report
I got a brilliant fit from Bristol, but not only do I know what works for my feet, but also I got transparent boots so you can actually SEE if they are the right shape. An unexpected idiot proofing advantage of fashion. Not sure my girlfriend got the same quality of fit. Mad
snow report
Hmm. This sounds horribly familiar. I have been skiing for far more years than I would care to count & very reluctantly gave up my disintegrating top of the range Nordica boots spring 06. I went for the nice shiny S&R shop in Gateshead & got a pair of new Salomon boots.
Nightmare trip ensued with me being unable to tolerate the new torture boots for more than a few hours in Arc1800 last Feb. I have been amazed that the bootfitters @ S&R see refitting my boots FOUR times now as normal procedure. I am just about to bin the aforementioned torturers & had not considered buying abroad due to problems of aftercare. Then, if the boots are perfect I won't need it, will I?? Puzzled Puzzled rolling eyes
snow conditions
I always wanted to know how many people get told by the boot fitter when you take off your socks..."Mmmmmmm...you DO have very odd feet !"
snow report
krunchie63, Lockwoods said I had strong feet. Not sure what it means, but I'll be sure to wash them next time.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
krunchie63, Lockwoods said I had strong feet. Not sure what it means, but I'll be sure to wash them next time.
....It has just dawned on me what kind of a job that is.
latest report
hopeless wrote:
had not considered buying abroad due to problems of aftercare.

on the other other hand, lockwoods is nearer to cardiff than tignes is...

G.
snow conditions
Having just spent 3 hours at Castleford last night in my new boots, I thought I'd just add that the Snow+Rock in Gateshead did a perfectly good job with mine Smile
ski holidays
hopeless wrote...."disintegrating top of the range Nordica boots spring 06."..a friend of mine also has disintegrating nordicas he bought in 1992 which he is still reluctant to change despite much ribbing... he leaves small brittle fragments of purple and green plastic that his boots have shed all over the hill like a treasure trail. Are yours 982's aswell ??? He is convinced he can squeeze another 4 seasons out of them with some fibreglass repair kit and aluminium plumbers tape but I don't reckon he will get more than another 2.
snow report
Bought my boots from EB in Manchester two years ago. Since then developed a problem with one of my feet, unrelated to skiing, went back to EB and they stretched the boots as required by my podiatrist, free of charge. Podiatrist couldn't fault their custom footbeds either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bought mine from Widney Sports which is in Bentley Heath near Solihull (M42 J5) - fantastic service with free cups of tea!!! The lads are really helpful & know their stuff. We get our skis serviced there too - haven't ever had a better job done anywhere else.
snow report
JOB DONE, cash spent....

went to lockwoods in the end and was sold a pair of last season salomon X-Wave 10's more cash than i wanted to spend but you only live once.

bit worried i might have got too stiff boots for my ability, but supposedly i can remove a bolt and make them more flexy. it says flex 110 on the side of the boot - they feel stiffer than the beginners ones.
Anyone know about adjusting the flex of these boots ? the salomon web site does not have any info on past products.

I may have issues with my right foot - it tilts to the outside a bit so the pressure tends to be along my little toe, was told that this is tricky to solve without a proper orthotic to tilt my foot or lift my heal. but i haven't skied them yet so who knows ! Got standard replacement footbeds rather than custom mould ones, seem better than the stock ones anyway.

G.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy