Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting fit for the coming season

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I want to tell everyone that I've been out and found my exercise machine and have got it set up in the house again - I'm going to try and have a session on it most nights. I was amazed at how much strength I had in my legs when I went skiing this year - I really think it helped and I want the same effect again, esp. as I now have to do justice to the ownership of my new skis. I hope it will be like weight watchers - now I've told you all I might feel more pressure into doing a regular session on it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, don't just work your legs, though - skiing is based on balance and balance is aided by a strong core, so a core workout is very useful (plus it does tend to make those skirts and jeans that were just not fitting right fit a little better! - a bit like magic knickers) Shocked

Good luck with your work-out though! snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get a mountain bike, then go out and use it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of machine is it? I discovered at Realli-Ski that there are muscles I have not been really using properly when skiing, though was pleased my legs didn't hurt as much as the instructor thought they might the next day - maybe they are stronger than I think!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins, I don't seem to find the time to cycle - even in the dark with the lights on, but I can find time to jump on the exercise machine for about 15 -30 mins each night. Also, my exercise machine does, legs, tummy, and arms. Its a resistance rowing action in many different postions, with resistance cords that you can use for arms and to provide resistance for twisting situps , and a sliding seat that works against your own weight to push backwards with your legs - its as good as I've looked at for a complete body work-out so I think that covers the 'core' that pollittcl, sensibly reminded me about - would mountain biking actually work the core? Mind you even if I had one Essex is not exactly renowned for its 'mountains'!! and I have to do about a mile before I even hit a 200 yd incline Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, now I'm confused.
You don't have the time to get on a bke, but you do have the time to get on your exercise machine.
Am I missing something? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, Yeah, I knew I'd blown it when I read what I had written. OK, so two scenarios:

1. At 9pm I think lets do the exercise machine - leap off the sofa, hit the machine in the warm room - 15 - 30 minutes later (depending on how fit I''ve got in the preceeding weeks) done.

2. At 9pm I think lets go for a ride on the bike - leap off the sofa, put decent shoes on, put jacket on, put gloves on, put helmet on, find the lights, go outside in the cold, dark, probably rain, unlock shed, fight bicycle past lawn mower and ladder, put light on bike, negotiate closed gate, cycle for at least 20 minutes (it probably takes me that long to do the first logical road circuit round here), reverse previous process

I have the time and inclination to do the exercise machine - the bicyle is rather more of an undertaking and is far less attractive - it was quicker to argue I had no time rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 4-11-07 23:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NewSkier, I've got one of these:

http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=472

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, how does it help with balance?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyweljenkins, it doesn't as far as I know. However, I don't generally have a problem with balance - I was brought up from a young child, riding, dancing, skating, cycling, roller skating, and can still do all these without a problem. However, I understand that a strong core can help with balance and it does help with the 'core'. OK, its not a 'total' body workout, but I've not seen better for the <£100 mark which is what I got it for - I think it was about £67.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about this for free? Circuit training three times a week, alternated with running, or possibly swimming.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, great if you have the time and the facilities for it - I'm not keen on running though - I love swimming, but again its an effort and time consuming to go and I haven't been since my youngest was born. Someone on Snowheads said to me that you ought to enjoy what you chose to do for exercise. I don't really enjoy the exercise machine, buts its very convenient with no extraneous time lost. I don't have anyone else to exercise with and rapidly get bored with walking and running. Also, I find it difficult to get motivated, but most evenings I sit here and think - nothing on the box, sarnies all made, snowheads done to death, anything else I can do - yes, leap on the machine and feel virtuous about having done so. I'd be happy to have someone else to meet up with, as this would motivate me out of the armchair, but it doesn't happen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, you don't need any facilities to do a body weight circuit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, Post me a link and I'll see if its helpful - I lost a stone last year in these three months - I wouldn't mind doing the same again.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Don't fall for the "You have to be fit to ski" mantra, you don't, particularly if you are skiing in Resort X with it's 1 or 2 runs. You can enjoy skiing just as much if you are overweight, smoke too much or drink too much, enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I agree that you don't have to be fit to enjoy skiing, but the if you're fit it does make it more fun.
latest report
I too need to get fitt(er) before Feb. However I can find plenty of reasons/excuses not to exercise Sad Wish I lived near someone to join up with & motivate each other too!

1. Biking - I love my mountain bike, but riding round here is suicidal in daylight, let alone darkness. I have to go to the effort of getting the bike rack on the car and driving somewhere first. We live on the edge of the N Lincs Wolds so there are killer hills (we live on one!) and the roads are narrow but busy since they built a load of new houses. The 2 slightly wider roads don't have paths and are a stream of lorries & also have hidden dips - not nice. So that tends to be a summer activity when I have a half a day to spare and the weather is nice.

2. I had an exercise bike, but it injured me! It was one that had moving handlebars and after daily use for several weeks I had a bad case of tennis elbow that took months and months to resolve! Advice I took was that constant repetitive movements are not ideal, especially when you are a little older - it is better to do things that involve a wider range of movements.

3. Swimming - love it, but time is an enemy and I don't really enjoy going alone & separating Mr NewSkier from his armchair is a crowbar job, tho he could do with exercise. He reckons virtually all exercise (that HE doesn't fancy doing) is bad for his back rolling eyes .

What do I do?

1. Walk when I am working - walk to the station & all round the university, taking the stairs if I have to go up <5 floors (more & the lift wins).

2. Bellringing! I ring church bells a lot - Last Tues I rang for just under 3hrs non-stop at Leeds RC Cathedral and on Sat I rang for just over 3hrs non-stop - that was on the heaviest bell bar one, at Amersham. My shoulders are still a bit sore from that one. It is excellent core/upper body stuff and a little bit on the legs but not so much - they get to carry me up/down the stairs & of course you stand to ring. However I definitely need to work on the skiing leg muscles after they gave out on me in Tignes Embarassed

Suggestions?

Apart from trying to do squats & repeatedly stand up/sit down - what else could I do that is cost-free & can be done at home without equipment?
snow report
Sit with your back against the wall, legs at 90 degrees to floor and wall good for endurance on your quadriceps. See my thread on Indo Boards, ultimate ski trainer for under a 5er.
latest report
Will Stanton, never thought of 'wobble boards' - should have done, cos I used one in the physio sessions I had after I broke my ankle. Have been 'googling', not having a DIY inclined husband and come up with some very reasonable priced options from physio suppliers, but these tend to be round rather than snowboard shaped. I guess the same benefits are to be had? One (The Wobbler) has a game included which looks amusing but I wonder if it makes the thing more limited.

Wobble Boards.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Megamum, you don't need any facilities to do a body weight circuit.

yeh please share, can do it at home when it's the wife's turn to goto the gym:)
snow conditions
Megamum, You have horses don't you? (seem to remember you saying you don't ride much) but a great way to get fit! I'll hack out with you if you want company?
snow conditions
Megamum, if you have found something that you like doing (or at least, that you don't mind doing), keep doing it.

I'm absolutely certain there are better exercises out there. However, "ok" exercising that you actually do is, for some reason, much better than "perfect" exercising that you don't do.

If I could get enough tennis partners to play four times a week a 1.5 hour singles game, that would be 80-90% of the training I'd need for the ski season. (I would supplement it with some abs and leg squats, but that's partly because there are times and places when I ski stuff which I really need the strength for).
ski holidays
Megamum, all that battle in the shed is perfect ski training: think skis, ski poles, coping with doors, barging post other poeple . . . the bike scenario is clearly designed for the complete skier snowHead

boredsurfin, I agree. Smile It is good to be fit and stay fit, but I wonder if suddenly trying to change a flabby floppy body into one that is taut and streamlined for skiing may actually be counterproductive. Your poor body can crack under the Training Strain and you get injured in the gym. If you survive the Training, now you arrive at the resort thinking you are fit and raring to blast the piste from end to end when really your poor body just wants to go up the lift, down the run, and then stop for a coffee. it's on the second run when you should be in the restaurant that you rupture your ACL.
Yup: excercise is bad for you. Toofy Grin
latest report
Jonpim, I know a nice run in La Plagne where half way down there is a bar that has a creperie out on it's balcony on sunny days Toofy Grin
Would probably be a certain rival to snacks in VT wink
snow conditions
I do rpm 3 times a week and swim for 30-60 mins each day which keeps me reasonably fit but need something else to get balance etc has anyone tried pilates or the skilates DVD? IS that worth looking at?
latest report
Mine consists of 5 a side football Tuesday, Circuit training Thursday, Running 4-6 K weekends depend on how I feel !
With the season getting closer I will start to build up the knee / leg muscles
ski holidays
How fit would be all be if we spent the time doing all these circuits and bumps and squats and pumps instead of looking at Snowheads?
snow conditions
pam w, That is so true. If I spent even a quarter of that time exercising I would be very fit rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Youve made me feel guilty now Sad
snow conditions
i go to the gym 5 days a week, twice a week 45 mins cardio on high resistance cycling . 3 times a week weight training.i.e chest/arms/shoulders/back/ legs been training hard since may, legs feel strong (calfs 17 inches)( thighs 23 inches)cant wait till jan as long as i stay of the chocolate and beer Cool
snow report
I love how you've measured your legs Very Happy
ski holidays
A simple body weight circuit-

10 wide arm press ups

10 body weight squats

12 right leg lunges, then 12 left leg lunges

10 close grip press ups

20 crunches

10 squat jumps

20 heel taps

20 reverse crunches

10 burpees

You can either do all of them together, then repeat with two minutes rest between each circuit, or break them down into sets of three (squats+squat jumps+lunges, wide grip press ups+burpees+close grip press ups, crunches+reverse crunches+heel taps) with one to two minutes between each set, and repeat each set three times. Alternate with some pure CV days and some front and side planks, and you'll be well away.
ski holidays
BTW I've done this circuit in a hotel room, works well, cheers Kramer Smile

regards.

Greg

Kramer wrote:

10 wide arm press ups

10 body weight squats

10 close grip press ups

20 crunches

10 squat jumps

20 heel taps

20 reverse crunches

10 burpees

You can either do all of them together, then repeat with two minutes rest between each circuit, or break them down into sets of three (squats+squat jumps+lunges, wide grip press ups+burpees+close grip press ups, crunches+reverse crunches+heel taps) with one to two minutes between each set, and repeat each set three times. Alternate with some pure CV days and some front and side planks, and you'll be well away.
snow report
kitenski, and what did the people in the adjoining rooms think was going on? wink
snow report
sorry to come in to the thread and ask a different question but does running provide a nearly full body workout sufficient for skiing? Its all i seem to have the will power to do...
snow report
Kramer wrote:
kitenski, and what did the people in the adjoining rooms think was going on? wink

I hate to think.....I kept the TV on at a decent volume though!! I hope the person underneath was out when I did the jumping!!
ski holidays
kitenski, it's not a problem, you can regularly hear people jumping in hotel bedrooms.
latest report
Spinning is very good for the leg muscles if there's a gym that does it anywhere near you. Found it does the job before I go ski.
snow report
KateF, I've just started this - seriously good workout. I'd be doing it this week, but have sprained my ankle Sad
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:

10 wide arm press ups

10 body weight squats

10 close grip press ups

20 crunches

10 squat jumps

20 heel taps

20 reverse crunches

10 burpees

OK I'm thick. I have no idea what many of these exercises are. Think I can work out leg lunges but "burpees"? Thought that was what you did to babies Embarassed
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy