Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis - buy internet or wait and demo on mountain???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Canada for 4 weeks skiing this coming Jan. (2 weeks Sunpeaks, then 2 weeks travelling to Jasper, Banff, etc.) and unsure what to do about buying some new skis. We are going to buy new boots and skis for my wife and I (possibly for our 2 young kids also), and have already decided to wait until we get on to the mountain (Sunpeaks) before we get the boots. We feel 2 weeks tweaking on the mountain will have everything well and truly sweet by then, and as long as Derek or Nick (bootfitters at Jardine’s) can do a good job for us, and that the shop has enough choice then we’re happy to pay a small premium to have them fitted on mountain.

The dilemma we are having at the moment is regarding skis. 4 weeks skiing would be silly to do full ski rentals, as after 4 weeks we would have paid for a mid-priced ski anyway. We have seen a pair of 176cm Rossi Z5’s for CAN$450, and 170cm Rossi Z9’s for CAN$550 on Sierra Trading for myself and a set of 156cm Atomic M7’s CAN$300 for my wife. I am an intermediate skier (not overly aggressive, but not timid either) male 6' 0" 210lbs (95kg), and feel that I could handle the Z5’s, or could advance up to the Z9’s. My wife is a mid-high beginner (more of a leisurely /cruiser type) female 5’ 3” 125 lb (57kg) and feel that the M7’s should suit her.

The problem we have is, do we get the half priced skis from Sierra Trading, or wait until we go to Sunpeaks and demo some skis and decide then. The prices of skis on the mountain will definitely be dearer and could be anything from $200-$300 dearer than the ones we can get via Sierra Trading. We may get an Ok deal as we will be getting boots also, but still can’t see them being able to get anywhere near the prices on Sierra Trading.

Do we try and save some money and buy the skis over the internet, or do we be sensible and wait until we have demoed some skis at Sunpeaks and then buy whatever suits best (the extra cost may end up getting us the ski that’s suits best).
Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I personnally would wait and demo the skis first, as you may be surprised how different skis perform. What you think you will likeand what suits your skiing style could be two different things. Most ski shops usually knock off the price of the demo and where I got my last ones from allowed me to demo three different pairs and knock all thses costs off the purchase price Madeye-Smiley

I'm really pleased I waited as I didnt purchase the skis I thought I wanted before my trip, ended up with something totally different ans still pleased with them Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Celts88, it's a difficult question. I skied on 176cm Rossi Z3s in January and really enjoyed them, mind you, I'm only a beginner. My physical stats are similar to yours though (6'2" and 90kg). I found them easy to turn and when I gunned them I still felt in control. So when it came to buying, I found a new pair of Z5s on the internet for a stupid price (£180 inc. delivery), I thought why not. I intend to improve and felt that moving up a model would give me the scope to grow into the skis. I will be giving the Z5s a thorough testing in the next couple of weeks as I'm off to Banff for a month, so I can report back then as to what I think of them. Only 16 more days to go Very Happy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Celts88, Personally I would wait and demo the skis. It would be more expensive to end up with a set of skis you don't like.

If you are buying several sets of boots and skis from the same shop I would expect you to get a good discount.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info.

It's seems as if it may be best to wait and demo the skis (we haven't demoed before, so were unsure of the best thing to do).

Hopefully we will get an Ok discount from the shop as buying for 4 (boots and skis) should help.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd buy the skis online and the boots in resort. I've taken this approach many times and always been happy with my choice of skis. It just needs a little research first to make sure you buy a suitable model for your needs.
Personally, I'd rather spend my time skiing than faffing about with shops and arranging demos. But boots are the exception because the penalty for getting it wrong can be total agony! I attempted to demo skis at the Snowdome last season and quickly realised it was a waste of time. It was like trying to demo a car on your driveway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy