Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to Turin

Poster: A snowHead
I've just booked 2 flights to Turin. I really shouldn't have, and I haven't told JohnQ, and it's only for a long weekend in January. It's all Easyjet's fault for sending me their newsletter this morning.

So, where to go from Turin? Apart from Sauze d'Oulx I don't know that part of the world.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sestriere
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MONTGENEVRE! brilliant resort on edge of milyway(400km) and the italian/french border, most snowsure of all of the milky way. Better snow than sauze d'oulx. Im off there at christmas with easyjet!

if your taking a car, you have a free day skiing in serre cheavlier (big french resort). You also have good access to sestriere and sauze d'olux

http://www.montgenevre.com/
http://www.go-montgenevre.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gressoney....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, a couple of snowHead 's were very complementary about your skiing ability when I skied with them here last winter. As Christopher, says, Montgenevre is good but travel the extra 20 mins to the Serre Chevalier as the off-piste is superior.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervinia, Gressoney, Serre Chevalier?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RachelQ,
My favourite is Serre Che as well, you may be able to find weekend accommodation in Briancon.
Suggestions other than those above are the Aosta valley Pila, La Thuile, Courmayeur, etc.
you can get throughthe Frejus tunnel to ski some of the Maurienne valley Val Cenis Val frejus etc
Bardonnechia also easy to get to just before the Frejus tunnel but it does not have the most inspiring snow record.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what about heading up the aosta valley for a weekend in Courmayeur - excellent place for a weekend trip
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chris, at serre chevalier, im thinking of going there soon. ive been there in the summer and it looked like a long walk from slopes to accomadation in Monetier and when is the new baths going to be open?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christopher,
Quote:

it looked like a long walk from slopes to accomadation in Monetier

There are free shuttle busses
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow! Lots of choice and lots to think about, thanks snowHeads Smile

The reason I chose Turin was because of the number of ski resorts quite close by, and I've always fancied going to Serre Che, but all the others look good too. Maybe we should wait and see where the snow's good a bit nearer the time. We'll want a hotel for Thursday to Monday, which might be a problem, but I hope places should be quite quiet around 18-21 January.

chris, Blush that was very kind of them Blush They can't have seen my two big crashes last year Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RachelQ, another vote for Serre Chevalier. You should have no problem getting hotel accommodation in Briancon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stay in Aosta town, ski in Pila. In ideal option if you want to avoid 'p****d brits on tour'. Obviously, if you are a p****d brit on tour, then ignore this advice Razz

Hope you get sorted,
Chris.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, the baths should be open before the new season starts. Helen B has an beautiful apartment for rent that's only 100m from the lifts in Monetier.RachelQ, we would be more than happy to show you some of the more interesting terrain if you visit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RachelQ, Champoluc is one of very favorite resorts
ski holidays
What timings are your flights? Assuming you want to maximise skiing time I'd start working out distances from the Easyjet airport to the various resorts, as it will have a big impact IMHO...

Cheers,

greg
latest report
kitenski, according to the SCGB or whatever it's called now

Resorts Close To Turin

France
Montgenevre - 1.5 hours
Serre Chevalier - 1.5 hours

Italy
Cervinia - 2 hours
Champoluc - 1.5 hours
Courmayeur - 2 hours
La Thuile - 2 hours
Prato Nevoso - 1 hour
Sauze d'Oulx - 1 hour
Sestriere - 1.5 hours

so any of the 1.5 hour ones would be fine.

Nells, Champoluc looks lovely and it's on my list of places to ski, but for a week rather than just 2 days.

chris wrote:
we would be more than happy to show you some of the more interesting terrain if you visit.
We might just have to take you up on that kind offer snowHead
ski holidays
If you're hiring a car, make sure you know where you're going from the airport. A friend and I flew in there to go to L2A for a spot of summer skiing last July. We spent a couple of hours driving around Turin. Couldn't find a way out. Passed that Fiat place three times...

Not sure Michael Caine needed Benny Hill to interrupt traffic signals: that place is confusing enough for the average motorist.
ski holidays
chris wrote:
RachelQ, a couple of snowHead 's were very complementary about your skiing ability when I skied with them here last winter. As Christopher, says, Montgenevre is good but travel the extra 20 mins to the Serre Chevalier as the off-piste is superior.

Montgenevre has some very good off-piste - though much of it needs some walking to get to it and some needs a taxi to get back from. Don't know which is better since I have only done day excursions to both.
ski holidays
Interesting these web timings, j2ski sees it differently!

Ski resorts within 1 hour of Turin Airport
Alba Cesana Torinese Sauze d'Oulx
Bardonecchia Clavière Sestrière
Brusson San Sicario

Ski resorts within 1.5 hours of Turin Airport
Antagnod Etroubles Prato Nevoso
Artesina Gressoney Saint Jean Sansicario
Breuil-Cervinia Gressoney la Trinité Valtournenche
Champoluc La Thuile
Courmayeur Limone Piemonte

Ski resorts within 2 hours of Turin Airport
Aosta Valley Montgenèvre Serre Chevalier
Briançon Piancavallo

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Turin.html
latest report
As Claviere is less than five minutes from Montgenevre and about 20 from Briancon and several of the resorts listed at 1.5 hours are in the Aosta valley the timings may be unreliable.
Briancon is probably about 1.5 hours from Turin driving at reasonalbe speed but without breaking the limit.
snow report
Quote:

Briancon is probably about 1.5 hours from Turin driving at reasonalbe speed but without breaking the limit.

Easily. Some of the roads aren't great, but the times people are quoting here are best described as conservative.
ski holidays
chris wrote:
Christopher, the baths should be open before the new season starts. Helen B has an beautiful apartment for rent that's only 100m from the lifts in Monetier.RachelQ, we would be more than happy to show you some of the more interesting terrain if you visit.

Maybe not this season, but definatly another. Ive already booked a holiday in Montgenevre this year and dont know whether i can afford another. Its a resort ive been to about 3 times in the summer love the location and looks like a very good ski area is somewhere i intend to go. I would go as far as saying Briancon is my favourite town on earth. Cheers for the offer, i may bear that in mind for future trips. I may go to Serre Chevalier for a day trip anyway this year.

snowball by the way theyve improved the accessability of getting to and from claviere and rest of milky way significantly in the last 2 years. It wasnt a problem last year. There is some flat which irritates me, but soon as your past that the skiing is brilliant

It takes 1 hour and 25 minutes at max to get to Montgenevre and about an extra 15 minutes max to Briancon.
snow report
All booked Very Happy Staying at the Hotel Le Rif Blanc in Serre Chevalier 1500 (Monetier). I'll time exactly how long the journey takes, but since I've only hired a little Fiat Panda I'm not sure the timings will be very average Laughing
ski holidays
RachelQ, Sestriere or Montgenevre. Went to Sestriere last Easter, really good. Very Happy
latest report
chrisdavis wrote:
Stay in Aosta town, ski in Pila. In ideal option if you want to avoid 'p****d brits on tour'. Obviously, if you are a p****d brit on tour, then ignore this advice Razz

Hope you get sorted,
Chris.

So Rachel chose SC wink
snow report
RachelQ, having worked two seasons in Montgenevre and spent much time waiting for transfer coaches, I can tell you that Turin/Montgenevre takes and hour and a half, and you should add about 40 mins to get to Monetier. The Rif Blanc is a nice little hotel, right in the centre of the village. looks like it's had a bit of a refurb recently as well.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, cheeky git Laughing The reason we chose SC in the end was because of a kind offer from chris to show us around the mountains on our first day. Nothing to do with p****d brits on tour. Anyway, I thought they'd all been out in L2A wink

Lizzard, yes, their website says "a recent and much-needed renovation". Looking forward to it snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RachelQ, I'm glad you have booked. See you in January.
ski holidays
RachelQ, stopped for one night at the Rif Blanc in February and can confirm a nice spot. Run by an English bloke and his wife. He also owns the bar to the right of the hotel on the other side of a little square which was by far the most happening place in the village we found. I'm sure Helen Beaumont will know him. Certainly is on my list to go back. On our return trip took ages longer back to Turin than expected dropping back into Claviere from Montgenerve(sp) on a Sunday night - beware. Have a great time.
snow conditions
RachelQ, Anywhere from Cervinia up the Aoste valley is just around the corner as it were ...

I drove that way yesterday ( albeit in good conditions) and it's like driving to the shops in the UK.
snow report
Agenterre, then you'll have to come up and see us sometime (like lunch time) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Christopher, I think they are now saying the baths will open in 2008. TBH, it doesn't look anywhere near ready for opening for the ski season, but we'll see.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
RachelQ, having worked two seasons in Montgenevre and spent much time waiting for transfer coaches, I can tell you that Turin/Montgenevre takes and hour and a half, and you should add about 40 mins to get to Monetier. The Rif Blanc is a nice little hotel, right in the centre of the village. looks like it's had a bit of a refurb recently as well.

may i ask you what you did working in Montgenevre? and who it was with? and at a push was it a good experience(as shown by 2 years i assume it was) i'd love to work there in my gap year.
latest report
Hotel manager for a company called TJM Travel (now Skitopia) which I don't necessarily recommend. If you want to work in Montgenevre, you could try Equity (hotel work), Crystal (chalets) or there are several small operators whose names escape me at the moment. Or you could more profitably use the gap year opportunity to go somewhere new.

Not sure exactly what you mean by a 'good experience' - it was fun, certainly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy