Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

American resorts - DIY recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone recommend a reasonably-priced US ski destination apart from Lake Tahoe or Salt Lake City ?

I thought about Colorado, but car hire would seem to be essential for the duration of the trip.

Same for Montana and I am not too sure about cheap lodging there.

Other possibility was fly in to Seattle and do a couple of the closest resorts.

For Tahoe you can get way with one way car rental to get you to and from San Francisco. SLC no car necessary.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How long are you going for?

Winter Park in Colorado is pretty good, and not as busy as the Brit favourites of Vail & Breck.

Jackson Hole can be done on a budget, and you can fly into the resort.

What are you looking for?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not go to the US for less than two weeks.

Looking to ski and also see somewhere new in America (however briefly)although I am not a huge fan of American cities. So a day in San Francisco was enough. SLC was fine as a base - provided I was skiing.

West coast rather than East. Skiing on the East sounds too cold for me.

$50 motel rooms for accommodation.

I looked at Winter Park and also Glenwood Springs. I think a car would be necessary for those two.

Also car rental seems to differ from city to city even if you use the same firm.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winter Park is good for 2 weeks of skiing, but you could combine it with Copper or A Basin.

Jackson & Grand Targhee are close to each other, so you might consider there.

I'm heading to Montana this year, so may be able to give you more info after that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you go to SLC I would advise that you hire a car rather than rely on the buses, then you can visit more of the smaller resorts like Sundance and Powder Mountain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IF your coming from Europe . Nothing is reasonably priced in the US nowadays.
If you compared Lodgings & Lift Tickets in the US etc to Austria then there is an incredible disaprity. Plus you got to get there !
I started doing the DIY US skiing over 20 years ago becuase it was cheap then but nowadays I think it wouldbe hard to beet the prices from the tour operators especially for the downtown accomoadations.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're going to North America from Europe, then I would recommend Whistler.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fox,

I've just registered for a conference in the US in mid January, and was thinking of taking 3 days in Winter Park before the thing starts: WP's proximity to Denver airport recommended it.

- Any recommendations for accomodation at WP, given that I'll be travelling by myself, and won't want to pay for a typically enormous US hotel room?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just wrote this Q&A for DCSki on where Mid-Atlantic types should ski outside of our region. The Q&A is DC-centric, but there are links to stories about Western resorts other than the usual places. It therefore might be worth a look:

http://www.dcski.com/faq/view_faq.php?faq_id=11&mode=headlines

Comments would also be welcome. snowHead

PS I agree with Stanton that the USA does not make much sense for Euros. For starters, the US government is taxing the living heck out of overseas flights. I just paid 41% in taxes on my flight to Europe in February. Ughhh.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you like the thought of Colorado, most resorts can be reached from Denver by using the vans (mini buses to us) which run shuttles from Denver airport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many skiing things are obscenely expensive in the US, notably lift passes, tuition and childcare. But, in mitigation, the dollar's weak by historic standards and flights are cheap.

There are many circumstances when the US offers a cheaper option than an equivalent holiday in Europe. There are probably more circumstances where it's more expensive. Similarly with DIY vs packages: if you don't meet the operators' ideas of a standard holiday party, packages can be wildly expensive.

Like WTFH, I'm DIYing Montana this winter, and there are some good deals to be had on accommodation there (use the phone - my telephone quote was much cheaper than the resort's web site). And, although I've not been to Big Sky before, the resort advises against takinga car if you're staying slopeside: they'd prefer you to take an airport transfer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If your going to the US on a budget & DIY . I would keep out of Colorado. I have skied up in Montana & Idaho & Washington State and it way cheaper & IMO more fun as you meet American & not tourists from Europe ! A Great little place I skie at once was Bridger Bowl in Montana . THe lift tickets were cheap , some good ridge skiing . ONe cheaper way of doing the US especially Montana is to do a 2 centre/country trip . Fly into Clagary rent a car there (its cheaper) drive down to Fernie, ski there then drive across into Montana and ski Big Mountain . It s best to stay downtown in Whitefish than no the mountain .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer wrote:
If you're going to North America from Europe, then I would recommend Whistler.

Banff is pretty good too. Just don't go too early in the season unless you have some super thermals. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did say US resorts - not North American.

I have been to Whistler and Banff already.

I know the expensive elements of a US trip but sterling dollar exchange rate is favourable at the moment.

You do not need a car in SLC. You may wish to hire one for a few days to do somewhere like Powder Mountain/Snowbasin - but you do not need a car.

I looked at Montana but I was not sure about cheap motel options. Same applies to Idaho.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to Jackson Hole and got a great deal via United Vacations. Accomodation is very reasonable, either through them or via official website places. Lots of places do shuttle runs to the slopes and there's a normal bus for a dollar or two so you don't need a car.

Like most US destinations they're not exactly giving the lift pass away though.
snow report
If you focus your stay in Summit County CO you can hit several ski resorts at one time. There are several ski towns (Frisco/Dillon) that offer more economical stays.

There are two major corporations that own several resorts so you can get lift tickets that allow you to ski either:

Vail, Breckenridge, Keystone and A-Basin

OR

Copper, Winter Park

If you have specific questions about any of those places I'm happy to answer them. A car would be an advantage if you're going to resort "hop" but you can also use the transit system in the Breckenridge/Keystone areas with no problems.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help.

Lisa
latest report
[quote="nextascent"]If you focus your stay in Summit County CO you can hit several ski resorts at one time. There are several ski towns (Frisco/Dillon) that offer more economical stays.

I looked at those two.

My big fear would be turning up and finding the cheap places are full up.
That could mean prebooking or having the car for the whole holiday.

In SLC and Tahoe there are loads of cheap but reasonable places.
I tried looking in roomsaver.com but most towns near ski resorts do not have too many places featured
ski holidays
Latchigo...you're going to try to just "wing it" and not prebook a place? That may get a little difficult. The Frisco lodge has good rates (provides breakfast and usually soups/breads at the end of the day). You can stay "dorm style" (share a bathroom on the floor) or have a private room. They are very friendly there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy