Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baskets on poles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On another thread someone mentioned about checking baskets on poles. I thought this an odd thing to do. Were they checking that the baskets were still there, or that they had the right baskets on the poles. Do you have different baskets for different things and why. I've got two sets of poles, one pair has solid plastic baskets, the other has plastic baskets which look like....well.....baskets - full of rectangles. To be honest I can't see why are they different, but neither can I see that either pair will function any differently to the other. I guess the solid ones might not shed snow as easily, but can't see any obvious drawback to solid or basket weeve baskets. Is there any difference, and why might you want to check your baskets.

B.t.w. if you think I'm a 'basket' case then please don't tell me I happy to live in ignorance wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, the idea is that the smaller baskets are like the ones racers use - less air resistance, and used on hard piste where you're not too worried about the pole going in too deep. Bigger baskets are used a lot by people who ski in powder, where they don't want the pole to sink 50cm into the overnight snowfall, but to actually give a little bit more support due to its surface area.

...in reality for most of us on here, the differences are irrelevant. In general I'd go for bigger rather than smaller, if you wanted me to make a choice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
O I guess the solid ones might not shed snow as easily,

The solid ones would shed snow MORE easily.

Snow is cohesive, particularly when compressed, the part that goes through the holes in the basket doesn't want to let go of the rest of it. This same principle is used in lugged snowclogs: the compressed snow in between lugs actually has more "friction" with the underlying surface than the lugs do.

Pole basket factors:
- aerodynamics (may also affect swing feel)
- weight (may also affect swing feel)
- surface area (affects aerodynamics, weight, float of basket in powder)
- cost of manufacture (ease of injection moulding say)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum,

Since it is a common fault that a lot of peeps don't/can't use a pole plant, then a missing basket may be neither here or there.
In deep snow, where you will need a plant..it is a pain when the thing goes in 40cms when one is missing... as this can knock you off balance... also, when poling in softer snow, this is a major PITA.. most people I know will carry spares..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, you forgot to mention "getting up in soft snow". Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OK, so the things fall off. My new poles arrived with the baskets separately and I had to put them on - now it could be that I wasn't going about the process in the right way, but they were a hell of job to get onto the poles. In the finish I put them over a gap in a plastic doorstep mat and shoved hard, I definitely can't conceive that they will become dettached without a fight. Is there something I need to know about fitting the rotten things?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
Is there something I need to know about fitting the rotten things?

Proper tools make putting that much force on a lot easier.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 1-11-07 22:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum,

That sounds ok...but they might break and just fall off and it is sods law they will fall off at the 'wrong' time, ie, when you want to use them...or that is when you notice... snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
last time i did some i put the baskets in boiling water first, slipped straight on. these days its no poles, so no problemo
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I think you'll find that the 'check everything minutely before you go' thread was a JOKE. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT,

Quote:

That sounds ok...but they might break and just fall off and it is sods law they will fall off at the 'wrong' time, ie, when you want to use them...or that is when you notice...

........ missing baskets can cause 'Rapid directional change' syndrome ..... particularily on Les Deux Alpes icefield ..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT wrote:
Megamum,

Since it is a common fault that a lot of peeps don't/can't use a pole plant, then a missing basket may be neither here or there.
In deep snow, where you will need a plant..it is a pain when the thing goes in 40cms when one is missing... as this can knock you off balance... also, when poling in softer snow, this is a major PITA.. most people I know will carry spares..

..but shirley when moving/turning you should be just "tapping" the snow so a basket is irrelevant.

More needed for starting of//pushing along traverses and getting up from a face plant off piste Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC,

I hope you brought spares at the same time as you got your poles..?? don't worry, I did.....!!!!!

You are still invited over in Jan...Laughing...!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, I did realise it was a joke, but it put me in mind of my fight with the fitting the rotten things, and then made me wonder was the loss of them a potential issue?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy