Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS or avalung?

Poster: A snowHead
Thought I'd resurrect this hot potato.

As I'm doing more off piste skiing, the idea of getting an ABS or avalung backpack appeals. The way I see it is-

ABS -

Positives - lots of guides seem to use them, seems better to be floating on top of an avalanche rather than sitting in it waiting to be rescued.

Negatives - transporting in on a plane, cost.

Avalung -

Positives - cheaper, no problems with transporting on a plane, slightly more compact.

Negatives - not sure whether it is as good a system?

Thoughts please gnarly off piste dudes and dudettes. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Once your head is buried, you are in big big trouble. The statistics are not in your favor, and you are reliant on others for your life. So IMHO the ABS scores highly over the avalung but not as highly as avoiding being caught in the first place, this is not a fatuous comment, as I strongly believe that "safety devices" that embolden more than they protect are debatable.
Anyway James Bond uses an ABS.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have an Avalung, the major problem for me is that you need to get the tube into your mouth the moment you think you are going to be caught in a slide, and then keep it in there whilst tumbling around etc.

For me the ABS would be the one to go for, but, as you say there are issues for me with it's weight, cost and transportation!

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

floating on top of an avalanche rather than sitting in it waiting to be rescued
The choice sounds so fluffy and lovely. Do they bring tea and cakes?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, or option 3, being a pink smudge within the avalanche?

jbob, totally agree, point taken.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

the major problem for me is that you need to get the tube into your mouth the moment you think you are going to be caught in a slide, and then keep it in there whilst tumbling around etc.
that is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, I think that was his point.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

the major problem for me is that you need to get the tube into your mouth the moment you think you are going to be caught in a slide, and then keep it in there whilst tumbling around etc.
that is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

My comment or the design?? given that's it's based on aiding your breathing when buried, how else is it going to work without some sort of "device" in your mouth Wink

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, Halloween was last night wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I'm aware of how the thing works, it's the fact that you think that you'd be able to stick it in your mouth and have the talent to keep it there whilst being tumble dried by several gigatons of snow, ice, rock, bits of tree, your mates etc etc. (you might be lucky and get a powdery one) You'd probably rob yourself of the time to get rid of skis, you may well not notice the slide until it's too late, you're ignoring the fact that your mouth will open very wide while you're screaming! I seriously hope you are joking.

Out of casual interest... ever been in one and tested it for real?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
kitenski, Halloween was last night wink

Fortunately that's not me Wink

Bode Swiller - there are some accident reports on their site where people have used it succesfully. To be honest, you can extend it so it is virtually touching your lips so it's a "simple" case of turning your mouth, grabbing it and clenching Wink

http://www.avalung.com/flash/avalung.html

Some excerpts:

http://www.avalung.com/flash/fiehn-e.pdf

Was it easy or difficult to take the mouthpiece in your mouth and to breathe?
While the avalanche was running I already took the mouthpiece in my mouth. That was no
problem and I needed no hands which weren’t available anyway.

http://www.avalung.com/flash/AvaLung_Interview_Tignes-e.pdf

> Was if easy/difficult to get the mouthpiece in and breathe?
I took the mouthpiece in my mouth as soon as I noticed that I had lost all my speed relative to the
avalanche, and at this moment I was still standing up. It was a huge help to breathe through the
avalung while being dragged down the slope. The avalung was easy to breathe through, and I
could focus on what to do when I was buried, instead of struggle with snow in my mouth and
lungs.

http://www.avalung.com/flash/ava-ca-e.pdf

The Senior Guide was present during a later debriefing of the survivor. The victim had heard
a warning, crouched down, fumbled a little with the tubing but crammed the mouthpiece
into his mouth and “went for a ride”. He clamped down on the mouthpiece with his teeth,
but could not hold onto it with his hands. He could not clear an airspace in front of his face
because his hands had been forced out to his sides, However, he said that he had no
problem keeping the mouthpiece in his mouth. After stopping he relaxed immediately; “like
we teach them”, said the Senior Guide. The guest had no significant trauma and wanted to
ski again a couple of days later.

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe it's time for European resports to take a leaf from their North-American counterparts.

On my visit to Whistler last year, the amount of skiiable, avalanche controlled, patrolled off-piste was massive. In fact most of the area within the Whistler resort boundries was "safe" to ski (on or off pistes).

I'm not saying that the off-piste in the US/Canada is as safe as skiing on-piste - but the general consensus from the instructors/locals was that avalanche gear was not required.

Just a thought .... Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, well, he's a lucky boy and he had a very co-operative avalanche.

Delighted to hear that the pic isn't you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Maybe it's time for European resports to take a leaf from their North-American counterparts"

No thanks..........thats the beauty of Europe!

Anyway, it would be impossible to secure the "off piste" in most european resorts due to the shear scale of terrain covered.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surprised there is not a combined ABS / Avalung backpack. None of these devices are perfect but could push your chances of survival. The downside with any safety device is the extra confidence they may give leading you to do things you wouldn't do otherwise. Think helmets - do you ski faster with one on or are the only people likely to wear them skiing the sort of people that poodle around anyway.

I generally feel safer off piste with or without additional equipment - less chance of a collision than on some over crowded icy blue run.

The point about inbouds off-trail in NA - when i was in fernie I still wore my bleep whenever there was some decent powder, despite what the locals say about not needing avalanche gear. There are cases in NA off inbound avalanches, I think rare but can still happen.
ski holidays
Ok, let's not get side tracked with a Europe vs North America thing.

Does anyone own an ABS pack, and have they had trouble travelling with it on a plane.

I know that you can hire them in lots of resorts, but I'm a) a snowHead and b) a gadget freak so I want my own. wink
latest report
norris wrote:
"Maybe it's time for European resports to take a leaf from their North-American counterparts"

No thanks..........thats the beauty of Europe!

Anyway, it would be impossible to secure the "off piste" in most european resorts due to the shear scale of terrain covered.

Agree.

Kramer I would go for ABS, it costs more and it might cause one or two travel issues but is an amazing piece of equipment.

There are too many instances where the Avalung won't make much difference... eg away from the piste and the whole group get buried, who's gonna dig you out? Wait for the pros? Who called them? OK, they just got called, Pros arrive, what will they see first?

Get an ABS.
snow report
I am sure you can travel with the pack, just not the air canister - i think you would have to buy one locally??
snow report
reckon I could be interested in a group discount! One of the guys JT has skied with wore one last year, hopefully he'll pipe up on here...

ABS, the German manufacturer, studied 26 avalanches worldwide between 1991 and 2000 where the Airbag was used. 40 people were equipped with Airbags, 32 people were found with the airbags deployed, 6 hadn't activated the system and 2 systems hadn't worked due to technical problems. Half of the 32 victims remained on the surface of the slide. Of the 5 people completely buried their airbags were visible on the surface. The system does not help if the victim is stationary within an avalanche, say trapped by rocks or a tree. An avalanche transceiver should always be worn as well.

Their webpage suggests http://www.abssystem.com/abs-Dateien/main-Dateien/facts/airtransport.htm

Since 2003 it is officially permitted by the IATA organization to take your ABS pack with you when you travel by air worldwide. Please print out the enclosed .pdf file and present it to the check in personell at the airport. These forms are also available at (most) airports.

As far as we know, all European airlines transport the ABS without a problem. Due to recent developments American airlines tend to refuse the transportation of ABS. Please check with your airline before you book your flight.
snow report
ABS should just agree with all there suppliers / re-sellers to make the gas available at all outlets to pack owners...
latest report
 brian
brian
Some Swiss guys have come up with one that gives increased head protection and then automatically deflates a bit to create an air pocket. Doesn't look like they've started selling yet, maybe parlor could pop round for a chat ....

http://www.snowpulse.com/
snow conditions
They're based here in Verbier but I can't find anything out about it locally other than it has had problems... One of the main complaints is that once inflated you can't move your head, a good thing if you get caught up in the slide, a bad thing if you otherwise still had chance to escape...

The jury is out on this product for a little longer. It's been in development for a while and none of the manufacturers are touching it yet. I hope to be proved wrong. And maybe sponsored???
snow report
Similar to this vest which was tested by the SLF at Davos at the same time.

http://avagear.net/
snow report
jonflat2 wrote:
Maybe it's time for European resports to take a leaf from their North-American counterparts.

No way... The beauty of the European system is that you take complete responsibility for yourself when off piste.
Therefore allowing lift access to terrain such as the Aiguille Du Midi, Mont Gele and La Grave.

As for ABS or avalung.... ? I would choose the ABS.
Because your top priority in event of a slide should be to avoid burial (not to breath under the snow!).
Alot of european pisteur's now use this system on a day to day basis.

The stats on the ABS www site are very impressive.

http://www.abssystem.com/

And there might even an argument for ABS being more effective than an avy beacon and well trained mates ?
Though unfortunately ABS systems are very expensive (500 euros up)
snow report
Kramer, ... I use an ABS pack and would recommend it in the context of this debate. I leave it in France. No problems travelling with the pack - just the gas cannister with some airlines. These will obviously be the airlines that you intend to use .... Toofy Grin

Not sure if you can rent the cannisters yet, but you can buy them for about 30 euro in most resorts. PM if you want to buy one in France.
snow conditions
Downside of owning an abs.........

You'll allways be the poor sod to go first !!!!!!!

Seriously though great bit of kit gives you a sense of security (dont abuse it though) in those (I really dont like the look of this,what the **** am i doing here i just wanna get down) LOL Skullie
Escape 15 nice and compact.

Regards Mark
snow conditions
Yep, skied with BC and a telemarker friend who both have them and I think ABS would be the best option.

I believe that you will see more and more guides insisting they are used on their trips so it could just be another thing to hire before long.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see it forced in this way but atm I think it is the best thing out there.
latest report
parlor wrote:
They're based here in Verbier but I can't find anything out about it locally other than it has had problems... One of the main complaints is that once inflated you can't move your head, a good thing if you get caught up in the slide

Yes, it is kind of the idea that your head won't move however the sacks deflate after a short while leaving you with an airpocket. Obviously it is still in development - product launch is expected for 2008/9 with a pricing around the 750 euro mark.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sadly the people with an avalung who were unable to get it in their mouth in time are mostly unable to comment.. Puzzled
snow report
Just look for statistics of dead victims equipped with avalung then. They can indeed speak from the dead.
snow conditions
BernardC, have you actually taken your pack on the plane? How about the cannisters, are they ok in hand luggage?
snow report
I mentioned avalungs on another thread and Yoda said that someone at last years EoSB said how many lives they saved by preventing the build up of CO2 - yes I understand the theory of the argument and I had a look at the web site. However, I still doubt with x number of tonnes of snow on your chest in whatever orientation that you would be able to breath at all in many situations. N.B. I don't intend any practical experience to find out either!!
snow report
Kramer, have you searched previous posts here on Snowheads? I wrote about my ABS bag in this thread. There are also words about Avalungs. I seem to recall many other threads about both safety devices.
ski holidays
Adrian, yeah I remember the previous discussions, just thought that I'd see if we have any more experience recently.
ski holidays
I'd get an ABS out of the 2 but travel hassle is a major deterrent. BA refused to give me an answer when I emailed them & I think casual hops over on a lo-co would be a major hassle.
ski holidays
Kramer, I have taken the pack, but never the gas cannister, or the firing toggle (which has a 9mm cartridge in it!). There is another thread on here - fairly recent, as I remember researching the Civil Aviation rules on the ABS pack. By the letter of the law it is perfectly legal to carry them - gas cannister included. Will try to find it.
ski holidays
Kramer, ..... bah ... that's what I get for going off-topic ..... Toofy Grin Took my ages to find it as it wasn't an ABS Thread at all + a small bit of cussing the 'search' facility. Of course it wasn't the search facilitys fault ..... Embarassed

Have a look at the actual latest Civil Aviation Authority Regulations
here You will have to scroll down as swirly had a different idea for the Thread ...... Toofy Grin

fatbob, was on the case & has done a fair bit of research - have you actually travelled by aircraft with yours yet fatbob, ?
ski holidays
BernardC, Don't have one yet - I get a lot of ski days in but as frequent trips so €30 a pop would soon mount up.
latest report
I think as mentioned in the thread that Sir Bernard links to, it's up to the carrier to give permission. That also relies on the carrier getting the permission to the people at the check in, and at security that it's ok to carry. Ideally without being held up for two hours at every stage of the process.

The avalung may be a better bet after all.
ski holidays
Kramer, ABS is the way to go - looks cool. Avalung (unless built in to a pack) looks like you wrapped a shower-fitting round your neck.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy