Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time to US/Canada - advice appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all Smile

We're hoping to get over to the US / Canada this year for the first time. The group consists of a couple of very experienced skiers, a few good intermediates, and a couple of beginner/intermediates.

The problem is, none of us know anything about the US or Canada as far as skiing goes, having always skied in Europe before.

If I give you an idea of what we're looking for, I'd really appreciate any opinions / recommendations:

budget - around £1000 for accomodation / hire / lift pass
accom - ideally HB but accept that might be pushing it for the budget
when - any time - jan onwards
flying from - any london

The only other thing is it looks like most of the resorts mean a trip from the hotel to the skiing - are they generally bus rides included in the ski pass, or do they expect you to hire a car?

Thanks Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS up to 11 days Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you will currently get a lot more bang for your pound sterling in the usa than canada..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMVHO Go in March/April before Easter hols start (assuming no kids)

Try any of the colorado resorts, and see what deal can be done, ie Vail, Keystone, Breckenridge.

With Vail you can get a bus to the slopes....or some people hire a car.

cheers,

greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd suggest Big Sky. It's one of the largest resorts in North America but very underpeopled. It has extensive tough stuff for the experts and a huge number of confidence-inspiring cruisers, too, for the less able. The more adventurous intermediates could really lift their game by enjoying a couple of powder lessons in one of the massive bowls on Lone Peak.

You can easily stay slopeside there, thus avoiding the transport issue but you have to put up with a very long journey from the UK and you'd have to work hard to stay within budget. And defer your trip until late Jan to make sure all of the double blacks have good snow coverage.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My only experience of N American skiing is in Whistler, which is probably a good bet for you: large area with terrain suitable for pretty much any level skier. It's also one of the few resorts which have the village and accomodation at the base of the mountains, rather than a few kms away. It's also a relatively short transfer (from Vancouver - accessible from LHR with BA/Air Canada or LGW with Zoom). £1000 is also a achievable whether you DIY or book with a tour op - I've just had a look on Crystal and there are plenty of reasonable fares (not including ski packs: <£750 for 7 nights and <£800 for 10 nights) for mid-January. When I've been I've done DIY (as I have this year), but I'd probably advise against it now as flights will have gone up in price enough to cost as much as a holiday from a tour op. Group info from Crystal (8+). Call 0870 160 4080 for N America

The main problem though is that N American hotels are almost inevitably room only accommodation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thecrow, The Canyons in Utah is good for ski in/out and is very near to Park City and Deer Valley so you can ski them all and the bus links are very good. Park Ciy hosts the Sundance Film Festival in January so you might see some good films and a few stars plus the slopes are empty as everyone is at the pictures! All 3 resorts have something for everyone and Park City is a charming old mining town with its own tram that runs up the main street. Some great restaurants and bars. And only an hour from Salt Lake City airport. If you feel adventureous you can do a day at Snowbird and Alta but may need to hire a car which are very cheap over there. Most people go out for breakfast and dinner so it is often a room only booking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whistler. If you book yourself then it will be flights + as an examlpe hilton in Whistler April around £600 per person for 10 nights sharing twin room no breakfasts. (£750 for 14 nights) transfers around £75 return from vancouver. £28 per day for lift passes and its around an extra £18 per day for good skis and boots. If children travel you should be able to get a good rate to include them in the parents room.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about Banff, look into it! We did flights, transfer, 4* hotel for 500 the second week in april (easter time) and if you go mid feb this can be as little as £350, 11 nights not costing much more! As a family (2 adults 2 kids) we did it for £1100 in February a few years back! Ski bus transfer direct from hotel is included to all 3 resorts (Norquay, Sunshine, Lake Louise) snow garunteed, very varied terrain from motorway cruisers to "i wouldnt go down that if you paid me" runs.. the website is down just now but try www.skibig3.com for passes you want the "tri area" ones!

Ross
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're going to Breckenridge for 2 weeks at Easter (unfortunately have to go school holidays) & we're DIYing it. We've booked flights for about £450 return to Denver (probably available cheaper outside school holidays) - we found the prices via www.expedia.co.uk but then booked via the airline's own website. We've booked B&B accommodation via this B&B website http://colorado-bnb.com/city/breckenridge giving us ensuite accommodation, hot tub & a full breakfast & snacks at teatime - we got various quotes from different B&Bs ranging from about £450 per person for 14 nights to about £800 per person for the 14 nights (all quotes for 2 sharing ensuites). We're intending to book 14 day ski passes much more cheaply than the official website (about £115 each) via www.americanskiclassics.com or http://www.themountainsusa.com I have no idea how good or otherwise this trip will be as I've only skiied in Europe before but certainly doing this DIY we have got much more for our money than any of the options I could find via any tour operators.

Roll on Easter snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Canada, Whistler is an excellent suggestion, as would be Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks. All ski-in/out accommodation, good variety terrain and fun places (Whistler esp for apres, BW not bad either).

In USA, Utah's Park City resorts would give you a great skiing selection, superb snow and good apres in Park City DMZ (demormonized zone). Dunno how UK packages work, but Colorado is most expensive place to ski generally in US, so Utah, Big Sky (as already suggested - go late January and should be cheap), and maybe lake Tahoe would be good alternatives. No cars needed in any of these, and if you book solo, there are self-catering apartments everywhere should you want them. Look online - google is your friend - I use http://www.ownerdirect.com/ a lot for Whistler/Big White. there's some high quality bargains to be had.

Pretty much all of January is quiet and should be better value.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tip.

<ducks>
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To be slightly more helpful, I wrote this for someone recently, so here is some cut n paste:

Runs are marked differently in NA to Europe. They go in this order (easy to hard)
1. Green (Circle)
2. Blue (Square) (roughly equivalent to a European easy Red)
3. Single Black Diamond (roughly equivalent to a European difficult Red, and/or Black - but note - most NA Single Black Diamonds are ungroomed/unpisted - so expect powder/bumps)
4. Double Black Diamond

Lift-Lines - do not adopt the European barging/fighting system. All lift lines (queues) are highly organised and orderly. Get yourselves organised in groups of 4, and alternately merge (you'll soon figure out the system). Barging like the French/Italians/Germans will soon make you unpopular, and you'll be told!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most areas have buses included with the lift pass, if going to Vail dont bother with a car unless you fancy carparking at $16 per day Shocked - that was 2 years ago too Confused

January is usually reasonably quiet BUT can be very cold depending where you head for - Banff is a classic case, and I wouldnt head for Whistler at end of March/April time as its very wet and college holidays are on and its very busy.

Colorado is a safe bet along with Utah, as mentioned above start trawling the internet to see what deals are to be had Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd go with Breckenridge, excellent slopes for beginners away from main areas but still enough to keep everyone busy. Trip to Keystone on shuttle gives lots more choice with 10$ snow cat drops from top of North Peak for better skiers .Arapahoe basin territory extended into Montezuma bowl which gives new adventures. One day at least in Vail, around one hour on shuttle but well worth it (I could spend a life there!). Outlet malls at Silverthorne also great for a rest day Own transport best but can be done by shuttle. Mid Jan usually good price wise .

Let it snow for you!
snow report
Good tips above.
I agree that late Jan / early Feb is the best time to go. Yes it can be cold - that is what keeps the snow in good shape!
Other tips:
"Spring Break", for those crazy college kids, is usually the 2nd and 3rd weeks of March.
"Easter holidays" don't really exist in the US except for private Catholic schools.
"Cider" is a non-alcoholic drink, usually served hot.
Unless you're an OAP, you may be "carded" in US bars!
Ski Schools in N American resorts are monopolies, owned by the resort. With no competition, they tend to be more expensive than European lessons (especially for private lessons). North American ski instructors tend to expect tips. (So do waiters, barmen, van drivers....!)
You may encounter chairlifts without safety bars. These date from a more innocent age, when saving money was more important to the ski areas than potential litigation.
If you are skiing alone there is usually a "singles line" which often moves much quicker than the rest of the queue.
You can ski any ungroomed terrain (as long as it's not marked closed) anywhere within the resort boundary (usually a physical rope or fence) with (almost) no risk of avalanche danger. Inbounds terrain is regularly avalanche secured with explosives.
Some resorts allow you to go out-of-bounds through gates in the boundary - some don't. Going out-of-bounds is like going "off-piste" in Europe - you are responsible for your own risk assessment of avalanches, cliffs, stream beds, etc.
Ski Patrol sweep the whole in-bounds mountain at the end of the day, but it's easy for them to miss someone injured or unconscious in the trees, so when tree-skiing take a partner.
latest report
Wear a helmet.
snow conditions
Someone has done a fine job marketing Breckenridge in those parts. Nothing against it, but there's a lot better to be had (snow, terrain, general fun).

More tips:

"Hard cider' is alcoholic, some deadly fruity ones in Canada especially.
Cold weather is good for you (and snow)
Pistes are called trails. If you say pistes, the local will think you are French and we all know how much Americans like the French Mad
Entrees are main courses
Americans talk a lot on lifts - be prepared to tell your life story many times rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Americans talk a lot on lifts - be prepared to tell your life story many times

I ended up with about 4 dates just by having americans talk to me on the lift, its obviously the new place to pick up women, although this was before having husband and kids.

I have to say i love Canada, and would recommend Fernie and/or Jasper both small towns but lovely skiing.
Also be prepared for the 'trails' to be groomed really well it really is like corduroy. Have fun
Denise
ski holidays
I second what gortonator has said. BC is a great place to experience skiing in N. America.

Quote:

In Canada, Whistler is an excellent suggestion, as would be Big White, Silver Star and Sun Peaks. All ski-in/out accommodation, good variety terrain and fun places (Whistler esp for apres, BW not bad either).

The great thing about BW and SS is the fact your lift pass allows you to ski both mountains (a bus runs between the resorts). They also have extremely well regarded snowsports schools. Both ski areas have great terrain for all skill levels. The backside of Silver Star is Double Black heaven... steeps, deeps, moguls, chutes etc etc.. (I am biased though snowHead )

The closest airport to BW and SS is Kelowna. Air Canada go all the way there via Vancouver. Or you can get cheap flights to Vancouver from eg. Flyzoom etc. Then hop on a bus or hire a car. Check out the accomodation links on www.skisilverstar.com.

Hope this helps.
snow report
no one else looking at Banff as an oppurtinity for this one, it would be ideal i reckon, bus provided with lift pass, cheap compared to alot of "Aspenised" resorts such as breck or whistler, and a huge diversity of terrain!
snow report
On the issue of Big White, we went there in March this year (two adults, one decent skier, one beginner+ and two beginner children) and I would counsel against it as the weather was atrocious. We had white outs - literally you couldn't see a foot in front of your ski tips - on a third of our days and flat light pretty much every other day; it was skiable (I skied 13/13 days but completely unenjoyable on the worst weather days and would be a nightmare for the less confident skiers in your party.
Additionally I personally found the terrain not very challenging apart from the odd run - you had done it all inside the first few days.
An additional factor is the transfer flight; no direct flights to Kelowna, so we landed in Calgary and waited three hours for the 1hr hop. There was a nightmare period while we waited when they said Kelowna might be closed due to weather, and were talking about either busing us in or re-routing elsewhere, and though we eventually got in OK this does happen, apparently.
Very friendly people, good ski-in ski-out accoms, facilities otherwise fine, and if you could guarantee good weather it would be an excellent one week resort for beginners and intermediates, but the weather is a BIG if.
As someone reminded me on another thread, they call it Big White Out locally!
ski holidays
Choices so many choices, for the difference in ski abilities and the amount of time you will be around I'd hit a area with multiple ski areas available such as Salt Lake City, UT or Tahoe both offer a half dozen resorts with good transportation, buses are good right, and cheap. As mentioned earlier with a tanking dollar US vs Canadian more pound to the buck.
ski holidays
northernsoulboy wrote:
On the issue of Big White, we went there in March this year (two adults, one decent skier, one beginner+ and two beginner children) and I would counsel against it as the weather was atrocious. We had white outs - literally you couldn't see a foot in front of your ski tips - on a third of our days and flat light pretty much every other day; it was skiable (I skied 13/13 days but completely unenjoyable on the worst weather days and would be a nightmare for the less confident skiers in your party.
Additionally I personally found the terrain not very challenging apart from the odd run - you had done it all inside the first few days.

Yep - it can be foggy, but it can be beautiful. Weather is like that - we all experience different weather on different trips.

Few photos of us there last new year at link below - weather/snow was excellent

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!540/

I've skied BW a fair bit, and definitely the top around the t-bar is often foggy and I pretty much avoid it. But I've never had a day there when it was too bad. Lots of trees to ski in which helps viz, and there's some really excellent tree skiing there. But as you say, it's not the most challenging place. If going for more than week, I'd split trip with Silver Star, a very different mountain with much more expert terrain. You can ski a full day at BW, and be in SS 2.5 hours later with a bus/car full of cheap beer/wine/food picked up at supermarket in Kelowna/Vernon.

Or go to Apex (near Penticton) for 3 days - a great little steep ski hill, and cheap. Would need to hire a car tho. Apex photos from January here:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!637/
snow report
Another vote for Big White here if you want true ski-in/out, reliable snow and no crowds. I wouldn't worry too much about the previous poster's bad weather story. Mountain weather varies massively everywhere, it's all luck of the draw. I skied a month at Big White last season and only lost one half day due to fog. Most of the time, the weather was ideal. Plenty of snow and plenty of sunshine. Much of the terrain there is easy, it's an intermediate's paradise, but there are plenty of challenges for advanced skiers too, especially if you like gladed skiing and powder when conditions allow.

Whistler is very good, especially for advanced skiers, but can get very crowded at peak times. Can also be a bit wet with the coastal climate, especially in the village.

Banff / Lake Louise is a great area too, but much colder. Haven't been there since the late 90s, so not sure how crowded it gets now.
latest report
Quote:
Americans talk a lot on lifts - be prepared to tell your life story many times

Not any more. They're too busy listening to their ipods.
ski holidays
If it's foggy at BW then it is probably also snowing, so if you like powder you put up with a bit of low vis. and head into the trees. Yes all the runs are generally pretty cruiser oriented but if you are the least bit adventurous you can find plenty of fun stuff on the Powder, Falcon, Gem and Cliff chairs. In terms of ski in/ski out it is pretty hard to beat the BW village, plenty of Whistler accom. isn't so be careful booking there.
ski holidays
canucklehead wrote:
In terms of ski in/ski out it is pretty hard to beat the BW village, plenty of Whistler accom. isn't so be careful booking there.

They have free buses which stop all around Whistler village and up in Blackcomb too, so you don't necessarily need to stay right at the bottom of the lifts.

I'm sure there are places which are harder to reach by bus, of course, but most places are easily accessible.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes they have a good bus system and generally it's easy enough to get to and from the Mt.'s but it's still not the same as putting you're skiis on outside you're door. If that is what you want then unless you make sure before you book you could be dissapointed with the location of your Whistler accom.
latest report
Quite true, I was disgusted that I had to walk up steps to get from my hotel's ski storage to the chair in Whistler. Of course, we had so much snow that by the end of the first week I was able to ski down the stairs... The bus service in Whistler is good. As my hotel was in Upper Village (still is as far as I know, it's damn difficult to shift a building of that size), and most of my drinking done in the main village, I generally got the resort bus back (even though the hotel ran one too). I was almost always able to stumble across to the stop and collapse face first into a pile of snow next to the stop, and immediately have to get back up again because a bus had already arrived.

With Banff/LL I'd just point out that the areas are quite spread out, although Banff is a great town (although I've only been there in the summer - surely things only get better with snow, even if it is local low season snowHead ).
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
Quite true, I was disgusted that I had to walk up steps to get from my hotel's ski storage to the chair in Whistler. Of course, we had so much snow that by the end of the first week I was able to ski down the stairs... The bus service in Whistler is good. As my hotel was in Upper Village (still is as far as I know, it's damn difficult to shift a building of that size), and most of my drinking done in the main village, I generally got the resort bus back (even though the hotel ran one too). I was almost always able to stumble across to the stop and collapse face first into a pile of snow next to the stop, and immediately have to get back up again because a bus had already arrived.

I'm sure if you were staying at the 4 Seasons one of the Aussie ski slaves would've willing carried you and your skis from the hotel to the lift Madeye-Smiley .

I always try and stay in the condos near the bottom of the Wizard chair on the side of the trail - depending on exactly which ones we're in (deal driven selections), it can be ski in/out or about 100m walk to run along a path. It is however very inconsiderate of Merlins to be below the condos and necessitate a 3 minute uphill walk home. I dunno - dodgy weather, heavy snow, crowded trails, poor bar placement, buses needed to get around - I have no idea why anyone goes to Whistler Blush
snow conditions
Christ - apologies for the delayed response, haven't been able to read through all this before now as work has been hectic. Have also been recommended Whistler by a Canadian.

Park city looks good from the piste map, as does winter park? Banff has always been on the radar, also like the look of Steamboat - what do people think of Steamboat?

I will look at Big White.

Sorry for being so ignorant on this- I need to learn!

We'll be looking at mid/end Jan.
snow report
Steamboat is a lovely, genuine Western ranching town.
The mountain is pretty big by N American standards, with great cruisers, bumps, tree-skiing, and a good snow record. The only thing it lacks is much really "extreme" terrain.
snow conditions
gortonator, Four Seasons!!! Evil or Very Mad Wash your mouth out with soap this instant...
ski holidays
thecrow, steamboat is good - as Martin Bell says - cracking place for trees.
ski holidays
Did Whistler last year and Park city the year before that. Both great but Banff kicks both of their asses in my opinion. Don't be put off by the fact that you have to get a bus to the resorts. I guarantee it will be the most spectacular bus ride you'll ever take.

You wont do Whistler or Park City for the price you wrote anyway.

Whistler was too busy and too wet. The bottom half of the mountain was slush (March 5-17) The terrain is awesome though.

Park City is bland and stark with officially the worst scenery I've seen at any resort. It is close to some excellent resorts though. Deer Valley and Alta being two of the best. Utah also gets obscene amounts of snow.

Banff is the best place on God's earth (bagsy no back answers) Great snow, Awesome town, Breathtaking scenery, World class ski terrain, Much quieter slopes than Park City and Whistler, superb ski school, great value for money. I could go on! I'd avoid January though because it can get stupidly cold. March is the time to go.
I'll be going for a third time in March 08. It's the only ski resort I've re-visited and I'll keep doing it as long as my knees allow Very Happy
latest report
thecrow, if you are truly considering Big White, you should take the time to read this thread http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=207096&page=1#Post207096 on ski.com.au an Australian snow forum.
It is a monster thread with EVERYTHING you want to know about Big White, even BW reps are contactable thru the thread. It just hit 150 pages since July. Previous to that there is at least a dozen 10 page threads (until an upgrade that was the max.) dating back 12 months or more, the links to which are in the latest thread, somewhere . Laughing

Further to that, here is a picture thread with over 100 pics, mainly taken by actual posters in the thread on previous trips http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=49344&page=1#Post49344

As you will note if you visit the forum, there is around 140 odd people who have posted dates and details of accommodation to hook up with for a slide.

Happy reading and feel free to register and say hello.

Main Street and Markopolo more or less oversee the thread and two more genial and good humoured blokes you could not hope to meet, not that we've actually met, yet. Very Happy Very Happy . The banter is always witty and great fun. Hope to see u there.
latest report
If you're going January and want pow, I wouldn't recommend Banff area. Extreme cold tends to keep snow away then. Late feb onwards is the time for freshies. Terrain is great tho, especially at Lake Louise. Some pics from trip there early in March at http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!AF2DD3CC35CC7ADF!714/
snow conditions
In terms of budget, mid Jan. Banff is easily the cheapest from the Uk. Extremely cheap charter flights and accommodation is practically free, the only way they can fill the place up at that time of the winter due to the cold.
latest report
So are we looking at possible snow problems in Banff / Steamboat / Big White in mid/late Jan? What is 'stupidly cold'? My O/H probably won't be up for extremely cold temperatures.

As for extreme terrain - we (the more experienced skiers) aren't too fussed about the steepest slopes etc - we're happy cruising for the most part (ACL repair and boken collar bone have made me more careful!).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy