Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pronunciation Help - La Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys and Gals.

Can anyone out there give me any guidance as to how to pronounce ‘La Thuile’. I’ve been pronouncing it “La Thool”, but I’m sure that’s way off the mark - I’m an absolute duffer with languages I’m afraid. I’m sure I read somewhere that it’s pronounced ‘La Tweela’, but some confirmation would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Colin.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know that "one snowHead that shall not be named" pronounces it "Larozier"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find if you're unsure of pronunciation especially in French just raise your voice...

This may not be appropriate in your case as you are nearly fluent as evidenced by putting La (or even Le works) before the word.....excellent go to the top of the class
Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Tweel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Tweel is correct, and is how i have always heard it said while being there. Anyway don't go....... very crowded, bad grooming, rotten snow........... Toofy Grin

beat me to it!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought it was more like "La Thweel." That is how my old italian hairdresser used to say it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent! Thanks very much for the responses. ‘La Tweel’ it is. As long as I don’t miss my coach at the airport because the Crystal Ski rep is saying “…coach number 4 for anyone going to La Tweel…” – well, you get the picture.

Also...

carroz wrote:
....... very crowded, bad grooming, rotten snow........... Toofy Grin

...if it’s as bad as all that, I’ll be wanting to pronounce it correctly when I’m swearing about it under my breath Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crystal ski rep - who's to say they'll be pronouncing it correctly... rolling eyes I was given three different ways to pronounce Soldeu by reps when I was there a couple of years ago, eventually just asked a local.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skisimon wrote:
Crystal ski rep - who's to say they'll be pronouncing it correctly... rolling eyes I was given three different ways to pronounce Soldeu by reps when I was there a couple of years ago, eventually just asked a local.

Good point wink I was assuming that they would know - but I guess you're asking for trouble when you start taking your lead from a holiday rep Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its La Tweel, and dont go! Too many people will spoil it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is no English "th" sound in French, but it seems like everything is pronounced "th" in Spanish.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball,
La Towel was in Italy when I went, maybe the Savoyards have retaken Aosta though. Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Tweel is close enough but not exactly right..
I found British people (well...my wife at least! Very Happy ) can't make (hear/pronounce) the difference between French pronunciation of "u" and "ou"
La Tweel sounds as if the place was called "La Thouile"...
I have been trying to teach my wife to pronounce both using the words "dessus" (above) and "dessous" (under)...Endless fun! Laughing Laughing
She still can't do it though and I can't find a phonetic equivalent in english... Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not to derail this La 'Tweel' thread but how does one pronouce Les Menuires? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i thought it was la tea - ul, not that ive been there

im pretty good at french, but dont speak much italian
ski holidays
How about "La Rosiere"? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
PisteHead wrote:
Not to derail this La 'Tweel' thread but how does one pronouce Les Menuires? Puzzled

Leh Meh-new-eer
snow report
Mouth, two days too late. Laughing
snow report
and I would say La Thuile is La "Tew-eel"

I was at a dinner last night with some friends and one of them butchered the pronunciation of French ski resorts / mountains to the point that I couldn't understand what he was saying. For instance the Egger Roozh turned out to be the Aiguille Rouge (he got the Rouge bit right so I worked it out).
snow report
Kruisler, horizon, that pesky diphthong is SO difficult for English people (and Russian people too, as it happens - my mother was Russian and spoke French like a native, apart from that 'ui' diphthong, which she simply couldn't get her tongue around.)
ski holidays
Courcheval - aaarrrgghhhh! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
snowball,
La Towel was in Italy when I went, maybe the Savoyards have retaken Aosta though. Puzzled
Doh!

I'd say Lay Men-weer to rhyme with steer. But there is a French thing at the back of the pallate in the final r sound (like just a little bit of the ch sound of Loch) I cannot think how to represent.
ski holidays
horizon wrote:
PisteHead wrote:

Leh Meh-new-eer

Lez Manure.

Une Thuile means something bad happening in French slang. For example Fred s'est casse une jambe, c'est une thuile

Hurtle wrote:
my mother was Russian and spoke French like a native

Unfortunately that doesn't mean much as the average French person speaks French about as well as the average English person speaks English. That is with a dreadful accent and very poor grammar. They probably write French worse than the average English person as the language is so complicated.
ski holidays
davidof,

Oui, c'est ca. rolling eyes
latest report
davidof, OK, a native of Tours (once said to be the home of the best spoken French, probably a myth.)
ski holidays
davidof,

"Thuile" is the specifique name of that town...

But it might be derived from "tuile", which is a roof tile, and , you're right, in slang means an unexpected problem.

Quote:

They probably write French worse than the average English person as the language is so complicated.

You might be right.. When people find french so hard to learn, I tell that I can imagine because even french people spend many hours (5h at least, even 9 in the early years) per week at school, between the age of 6 and 18, learning about conjuguaison and grammar..
I don't know how the current generation fares..My wife teaches year 6 here and i can't believe how bad kids spelling is...I don't know if it the samee in France now...we use to spend hours on vocabulary alone.. Puzzled
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
davidof,

hah pas de merde Laughing

Regarding written French/English... I suspect that the standard of English people writing English is slightly better than French writing French given the complexities of the French language, nothing more. However given the long hours at school and the accent on rote learning that may not be true. All I know is that a lot of the documents I get have errors that even I can spot.

As somebody from the Academy Francais once said "the French language is like a Cathedral, beautiful to look at but no-one actually wants to live in a Cathedral".

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 2-11-07 18:07; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
davidof, OK, a native of Tours (once said to be the home of the best spoken French, probably a myth.)

It is supposed to be the "best accent".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Kruisler wrote:
davidof,

hah pas de merde Laughing

Very Happy

You know what I meant...

PS: Do you? Very Happy
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:

But it might be derived from "tuile", which is a roof tile, and , you're right, in slang means an unexpected problem.

Seems likely but another theory is that it means a Granary (Raccard) in Valdôtain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raccard
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy