Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5 Years, 10 seasons - Where would you go?

Poster: A snowHead
(Not sure if this is right place...) I was making a list today and was wondering where'd you go? I know there was a topic similar to this a while back.. Basically let's see your optimistic (well we all know it depends on money/injuries/other commitments etc.) plan. This is somewhat my plan:

For first three years, I'd try to get the European spots done with...

European Stage - 3 Years

France:

3V
Verbiers
Alpe D'Huez
La Grave

Britain:

Yad Moss
Cairngorm

Switzerland:

Davos

Norway:

Hemsedal or Voss

Sweden:

Riksgränsen

North American/Asian Stage - 2 Years

Canada:

Whistler
Lake Louise

U.S.A:

Jackson Hole

Southern Hemisphere Stage - Summertime during the 5 years

New Zealand:

Resort yet to be found, perhaps heli ski-trip.

Chile:

Resort yet to be found.

Other places I'd like to go are Morocco and Japan. Obviously as a student this whole plan won't be easy... I'd like to get Britain done with this winter once I'm healed and perhaps get one of the French resorts done with. La Grave I plan to do at the end. Sweden/Norway would be early Spring trips with Switzerland maybe being done next christmas as a friend lives near there. The N.A. stage I'd do once I'm done with uni and perhaps spend one season in one of the resorts one year, and the next go to the other two.

I should be doing essays.. but hey!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah, It'll probably be more than 3 years before the French colonise Verbier. Until then it's in Switzerland. Not interested in Austria?

Hold the scandi resorts for late spring and make the most of the long days and stretch the season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahh ya, I forgot of how Verbiers in France/Switzerland... As for Austria, I've skied in numerous places there so would like to see something new. France I've... never skied in and ya, the scandi resorts I'd be leaving for late spring. I may go this year providing money and body allows it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cyprus.
Sicily.
Corsica.
Kazakhstan.
Japan.
South Korea.
China.
Finland.
Greenland.
Norway.
Chile.
South Africa.
New Zealand.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah,
In New Zealand consider Methven(Mt Hutt), Queenstown(Remarkables & Coronet Peak), Wanaka(Treble Cone, Cardrona, & Snowpark). For something a bit different there is a club field called Craigieburn ( http://www.blackdiamondsafaris.co.nz/skiareas_craigieburn.htm ) well known locally for advanced skiing. Facilities will be minimal, lifts are few and very basic.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are the places you list where you would like to ski or have already skied? If the first - then where have you skied already?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball It's where timmah would like to ski!
Whitegold South Africa? What now? In my visits to SA I've not heard about skiing there.....do tell!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, I've mainly skied in Europe, did a season in the Gstaad area with trips to Lausanne etc. And generally otherwise I've been to austrian resorts.

Just to clarify... this isn't a topic SOLELY for me, was curious to see what your plans would be to ski in the next 5 years.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whistler // Portillo // Jackson Hole // The Remarkables // AK // Las L

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 29-10-07 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yad Moss! Ha Ha - is this a joke?

Do you ski off-piste, perhaps with a guide or mostly on piste?

I hope to ski at Jackson's Hole in 09, and perhaps Kicking Horse another year.

I go away to ski 3 weeks per year, leaving my wife at work (she does not ski). So do not think I can go to Argentina or Chile in the Summer as well, but I would like to.
If I had enough money I would like to try Heli-skiing in Russia and / or Alaska!!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
^ Cant get my message to post in full!

Las Lenas // La Garve // Perisher Blue // S.A (Tiffindel)

Saw a television programme about it and S.A would be purely just to say i had been there!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, not a joke! I think it would be pretty cool to say I've skied in England even if the slopes aren't exactly challenging or mountainous terrain. Also, it depends on the resort whether I'd ski off-piste with a guide, but would most likely yes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmaah wrote:
snowball, not a joke! I think it would be pretty cool to say I've skied in England even if the slopes aren't exactly challenging or mountainous terrain.

And do that before global warming makes it a history! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timmaah, If you havn't skiied in Scotland i'd do it soon aswell! Dont think we are going to last long snow-wise up here!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The plans for the next 5 years????? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Bufff...... now I'm in difficult to planify THIS season, the next five can be impossible!!!

But in mind....in the next 5 years i would like to do:

- Repeat and know better (specially off-piste) some of the big ones that I had ski yet: Verbier, Espace killy, 3V, St.Anton, Chamonix, L2A, Zermatt, paradiski,......

And know in Europe:

France:
- REAL chamonix (one week with an expert guide, to know the pure freeride, the best steep and deep.... Shocked Shocked Shocked ..a dream....)
- La grave
- Serre chevalier
- La clusaz with knee deep powder
- La mongie/bareges and specially le telepherique du Pic du midi

Switzerland:
- Andermatt and Flims/laax
- Engelberg
- Val d'anniviers

Italy:
- Alagna

Austria:
- Zillertal valley
- Krippenstein

America:
US:
- 2-3weeks in Utah (in wasatch) and wyoming (jackson hole and grand targhe), doing a road trip

Canada:
- Whistler
- Road trip from calgary: sunshine, lake louise, kicking horse, fernie, big white, castle, revelstoke, catski in retallack, ....

alaska:
- Alyeska + heliski in the chugach (after that...i can die.......) Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's possible that all of this plans I'll do it in less than 5y, maybe 2-3years...if I finish before, the plans will be...start another time Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wouldn't give a toss as long as some friend and family were with me.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Yad Moss! Ha Ha - is this a joke?

LOL, I'd like to ski it too sometime and I'm not joking either NehNeh
Rossfra8 wrote:
Timmaah, If you havn't skiied in Scotland i'd do it soon aswell! Dont think we are going to last long snow-wise up here!

You've got until around 2050 on the most pessimistic forecasts IIRC - just coz it don't snow that often in Helensburgh doesn't mean there's no snow 3/4000 feet up in the highlands!

You aren't a Scotland on Sunday/Independent reader by any chance are you?
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
snowball, not a joke! I think it would be pretty cool to say I've skied in England.

Well yes, I might too if I were somewhere near and it happened to be the day there that year you could ski there. But then I'm English and it might be nice to be able to say I'd skied snow in England somewhere other than a ski dome (or 100metres almost flat in the local park twice in my life). But I wouldn't go to another country to do it!
snow report
roga, funnily enough I am an independant reader haha and i am a fan of the scotsman however, I can count on one hand how many ski days i got in Scotland last year and keeping in mind I am as far away from Glencoe as I am from Xscape thats not so good at all! Huge difference between snow, and skiing, it takes alot of snow to cover the heather up this way!
snow report
A German with a five year plan of places to go Shocked

You have sensibly chosen to avoid Russia this time.

Invading Poland is always a good option (Zakopane ?).

Britain will not be as easy as you think though.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, Puzzled

Glencoe's upper runs were complete for several weeks in Feb/Mar/Apr last season, here's some pics from a day trip I did in March ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=585150
snow conditions
I understand this however unless you have some diversity then youc an hardly class this as a "ski day"! I had a fantastic day at Glencoe last year but as far as i am concerned sliding over muck and rocks to get down the hill is hardly a ski day, however the season before in total i had a good couple weeks in scotland, skiing back down to the base at glencoe on morethan one occasion, now that is a ski day!
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd skied snow in England somewhere other than a ski dome

I skied down Box Hill in Surrey quite a few winters ago. I only did it so I could say I'd done it! It was a long walk up.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, lightweight rolling eyes
ski holidays
brian, nutter! at least this season i'll be a lightweight in north america for 3 months Very Happy
snow conditions
Rossfra8 wrote:
I understand this however unless you have some diversity then youc an hardly class this as a "ski day"! I had a fantastic day at Glencoe last year but as far as i am concerned sliding over muck and rocks to get down the hill is hardly a ski day, however the season before in total i had a good couple weeks in scotland, skiing back down to the base at glencoe on morethan one occasion, now that is a ski day!

Indeed, I guess it depends on what your definition of a ski day is but your original comment implied there was little snow in Scotland for skiing which just isn't true.

I got my first turns of last season in on Cairngorm in the first week of December when they'd already been open a couple of weekends for snowsports, they finally closed in late April - hardly a country with no snow, in fact that's a better record than many low lying resorts in the Alps had last year and that's without snowmaking. There's already been snow on the Scottish hills, in fact turns were made on Cairngorm in September, and there's been a dump in October too which hopefully bodes well for the coming season, at least the ground is cooling down ready for a hopefully lasting base.

Last season, as elsewhere in Europe, wasn't great, but that's hardly a reason to suggest that skiing in Scotland isn't going to last much longer.

Anyway, on the topic of this thread I'd like to add Austria and Canada (probably Whistler) to the list of countries I've skied in, apart from that I have no fixed plans... I never do I just go wherever chance takes me Very Happy
latest report
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, the only thing worse than a lightweight is a jammy, gloating lightweight. Evil or Very Mad

Have a good one, you bastard

wink Laughing
snow conditions
at least you have a good sense of humour for someone from the east coast!! just goes to show...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Rossfra8, did I mention that the only thing worse than a jammy, gloating lightweight is a jammy, gloating, weegie lightweight ? Laughing
ski holidays
Nah i'm "posh" haha, Helensburgh! How dare you associate me with the likes of 'them'! You seem very much like a hearts fan to me.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Rossfra8 wrote:
Nah i'm "posh" haha, Helensburgh! How dare you associate me with the likes of 'them'!

Sorry mate, anyone west of Broxburn is a weegie in my book. Next you'll be telling us you don't wear a shellsuit and your favourite drink isn't buckie ?rolling eyes

Quote:

You seem very much like a hearts fan to me.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Right, that's it ... outside, now ! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
haha neither of which apply to me! enjoy pear cider and long walks haha only joking. If i wore a shellsuit and drank buckie would i have the internet to be typing this now? probably not!
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Timmaah wrote:
snowball, not a joke! I think it would be pretty cool to say I've skied in England.

Well yes, I might too if I were somewhere near and it happened to be the day there that year you could ski there. But then I'm English and it might be nice to be able to say I'd skied snow in England somewhere other than a ski dome (or 100metres almost flat in the local park twice in my life). But I wouldn't go to another country to do it!

I think it's time for me to change my location... I'm going to be at UEA (norwich) for next 3 years Wink

Although Yad Moss is faaaaaaar up north, I may do a road trip up, meet a friend along the way and go ski there. Naturally it would probably have to be very last minute to do so but hey... snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy