Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the best thing to do if it all goes pear shaped?

Poster: A snowHead
I've got in mind when things start going out of control, rather than a wipeout, Particularly the situation when you might come to a change in terrain that you can't easily see over and suddenly find yourself on a steeper section where you are going faster than you want to and are in danger of a plummet down the fall line. I think as a beginner this is the most worrying scenario. If you can keep your wits long enough to do something what is the best way to gain control of the situation?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slow down Very Happy

Dont panic and try and turn uphill
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Turn!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Slow down Very Happy

Dont panic and try and turn uphill

sage advice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Turn out of trouble or just point 'em straight down and ride out the trouble. Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cut out fatty foods and get some exercise in daily
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK, so what if you've managed to get your weight behind the skis Skullie

You, know what I've just typed the above and clicked as to where this fear factor probably comes from. In Lenzerheide 10+ years ago on long skis the weight ended up behind the skis and they ran out of control and I crashed in the kinderlift, I bet thats where the fear comes from. On that day I vowed never again to let weight get behind the skis. I wonder if I can now get round it asa concept.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, get your hands forward, plant a pole and jump headfirst down the piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worst thing you can ever do is panic

make sure that you turn and take some of your speed off

Or if all else fails don't be too afraid to just dig your skis in and crash

To be honest though when your a beginner you will have very few times when you end up getting to a out of control situation where you are in serious danger.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
TBH, experience is really the best thing. All this advice won't help you when you have a fraction of a second to make a decision, only thing is your past experience in such a situation. I've had a buncha moments where I've lost control when I started skiing and now I no longer have them...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem with telling Megamum to 'turn' is that if her weight is too far back, she wont turn effectively and simply go carreering off in an alternative direction - I remember that fear well.

Firstly that sensation of being too far back is a good thing, in the sense that at least you realise that you should be further forward Wink

But how to get forward again?
Everyone has struggled at some point trying to get forward - but stop right there! Don't keep trying to get forward, get down! Cool
The solution in that situation is to bend the knees more, go for a crouch (not a sit): the lower you get to a crouch, the easier it will be to get your weight back on your toes again. In fact, go for the crouch and the weight will go onto the toes without any effort at all.

Try it now, stand upright with your hands stretched out in front of U. Lean back until you're balanced on your heals, until you're only just managing not to fall backwards. Try to just lean forward. It's clearly not going to happen too easily is it? And this is [probably] what you're trying to do to recover when you realise you're too far back on your skis.
Now, from the same position, start to crouch and as soon as you start bending your knees a little, your weight rolls straight back onto the balls of your feet - ta-dah!

The other thing to remember is that when it's all pear shaped, the lower you crouch, the less distance you have to fall to the ground - most reassuring Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, two points.

"Prevention is better than cure", so when you come to a ridge/roller you can't see over, slow down before you get there, to the extent that you can stop immedately as you look over the top if you don't like what you see.

"Falling over slowly is better than falling over fast" - so don't discount the well executed deliberate bail out! With enough practice you may even be able to recover and get back up quickly enough to disguise it as extreme carving Laughing .

Admin's technique sounds pretty good too - I do it on occasion myself, although I've (surprisingly Wink ) never analysed it in that detail.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Admin's technique sounds pretty good too - I do it on occasion myself, although I've (surprisingly ) never analysed it in that detail.
There's a first for everything I guess Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
OK, so what if you've managed to get your weight behind the skis Skullie

this is a risk factor for a knee injury...
Quote:

RECOGNIZING POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATIONS
Three types of situations can lead to the Phantom Foot syndrome:

* Attempting to get up while still moving after a fall.
* Attempting a recovery from an off-balance position.
* Attempting to sit down after losing control.

To help reduce the risk of Phantom Foot injury, skiers must first learn to recognize potentially dangerous situations while there is still time to respond.The list that follows represents a profile of the Phantom Foot ACL.

Six elements define the profile:

* Uphill arm back.
* Skier off-balance to the rear.
* Hips below the knees.
* Uphill ski unweighted.
* Weight on the inside edge of downhill ski tail.
* Upper body generally facing downhill ski.

from http://www.vermontskisafety.com/kneefriendly.php this site....

Quote:

RESPONDING TO POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATIONS
When elements of the Phantom Foot begin to fall into place, the ideal initial response is one that addresses as many elements as practical without limiting the skier's ability to take other appropriate measures, including any actions necessary to avoid collision with obstacles or other skiers.

The following actions are a good example of an appropriate initial response:

* 1.) Arms forward.
* 2.) Feet together
* 3.) Hands over skis.

Phantom Foot injuries occur when the tail of the downhill ski, in combination with the stiff back of the Alpine boot, apply a combination of twisting and bending loads to the knee.

The plan above was developed to:

* Reposition the downhill thigh in line with the downhill ski in order to reduce twisting loads on the knee
* Reposition the uphill ski so that it is available for weight transfer
* Put the skier in a good position for either a recovery or a controlled fall (bail-out)

However, this plan is only one example of the type of response that may help reduce the risk of injury. With time you can develop your own plan and with practice your response can be quick and effective.

[/quote]
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom Lowe wrote:
To be honest though when your a beginner you will have very few times when you end up getting to a out of control situation where you are in serious danger.

admin wrote:
The problem with telling Megamum to 'turn' is that if her weight is too far back, she wont turn effectively and simply go carreering off in an alternative direction - I remember that fear well.

This happened to me on my very first trip - the end of the day, deserted piste and I had got down the worst bit of the run, the end was in sight. I relaxed, the speed built up and I froze. The speed built up and the white fear with it as the chair lift pylon approached me. I tried to turn, but nothing happened and so eventually I sat down and fell. Luckily I got just a few bruises from a heavy landing, only my pride was seriously wounded, but the event was enough to undo the fragile confidence that I had been working so hard on.

--------------------

I was given some good advice by Fastman that I am going to put into practice when I get to Vallandry next Feb, an exercise you can't do in a Snowdome. I need to find a long very gentle slope and start off diagonally & turn, then move on to starting directly down the fall line, each time allowing myself to get a tad faster before turning. That way I can practise turning from the straight at faster & faster speeds, knowing I am in control.
snow conditions
When out of control you have the perfect excuse to do the Worm Turn Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
http://youtube.com/v/-UglrXO3GNk
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
When out of control you have the perfect excuse to do the Worm Turn Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
http://youtube.com/v/-UglrXO3GNk

I'd be dead impressed if I could do that Shocked
latest report
If you think you're seriously out of control, just digging in and falling can be a good strategy. It'll almost certainly be better than the uncontrolled fall/crash at even higher speed which may happen.
snow report
Something I tried when I was starting out. To prepare yourself for the odd bit of extra speed try to find one of those short steep sections with a big lovely flat runout below. Maybe go slowly diagonally most of the way down and then point your skis downhill and just go for it. You will be able to slow down on the flat easily and it should let you gradually get used to picking up speed in a safe and controlled environment. You will see a lot of skiers getting up quite some speed so that they can bypass the flat without resorting to poling, so next time you find one try the same but from a little higher. The confidence this develops reduces the fear of speed and so makes finding yourself sitting back more unlikely. Remember... start gently, no scaring yourself.
ski holidays
Surely if you never scare yourself, you'll never get over the fear and improve?
latest report
I used to tell myself (out loud, sometimes) "Get down, hands out in front". It often worked, too. I do find myself bailing out deliberately on the snowboard, sometimes, though not as often as I used to! I am much less fearful of injuring myself falling on the board than I am of falling on skis. Just as well, given the frequency of the occurrence. But I can definitely relate to that feeling of heading down the hill at a slightly faster speed than I feel confident to turn at - that "it'll all end in tears" feeling isn't fun. Just gotta get more practice in, I suppose.
snow report
Timmaah, True, but fear without a decent level of coping skills can also be counter-productive. Then again, I now fully enjoy scaring myself on the snow rolling eyes
ski holidays
Megamum, lots of advice here, but all (I suspect) from good skiers, and all quite useless to you.
Fear stuns the brain and rational thought is impossible

A search for the Stop word reveals it has only been mentioned twice so far:
admin: "Everyone has struggled at some point trying to get forward - but stop right there! Don't keep trying to get forward, get down!"
GrahamN: "when you come to a ridge/roller you can't see over, slow down before you get there, to the extent that you can stop immedately as you look over the top if you don't like what you see"
Excellent advice, but not much help to you.
The scenario of "find yourself on a steeper section where you are going faster than you want to and are in danger of a plummet down the fall line" happnens to us all, however good. The correct response is Stop. And how do you do that? Frosty the Snowman expertly summed up the manoeuvre: "turn uphill"
He just spelt Stop wrong ("t" and "p", not "l" and "w") snowHead
latest report
Admin's advice on getting down makes a lot of sense, but Jonpim, you actually seem to understand the psyche of where I'm at with this. Fear does stun the brain and rational thought is often impossible - Yes!!

I guess I could slow down/stop above a ridge/roller (I like the technical term, but you all seemed to know what I was on about anyway Toofy Grin ), of course I'd do this when at the side of the piste, but would this still be hazardous to other skiers? Also, if I'm halfway down the slope I've still got to tackle the steeper slope to get down - this is part of the reason why I'm apprehensive of unfamiliar slopes. The turning on the steeper slopes, even to stop or slow down also seems more fraught with danger as if I c**k it up I'm heading down the fall line again - for a lot of reasons I hope these new skis turn easily - the reviews I've read suggest that they do which was one reason I bought them. Sorry this is a list of random thoughts rather than a grammatically correct treatise. Laughing
snow conditions
Megamum, you typically get a gaggle of people stopped before a steeper section, surveying their options for the route down and perhaps girding their loins. It would be better at the side of the piste, but it's not too much of a problem in the middle. What would be more of a problem is stopping or falling just underneath the lip, in the middle of the piste.
ski holidays
Megamum, do you mean to say that you do not have a bulletproof braking wedge reflex yet?

laundryman forgets the snowboarders sitting in the snow over the crest.
ski holidays
comprex, It's odd, but the more I learn to bring the skis together in the turns the less natural it seems to snowplough - I now have to think about doing it to do it at all - does that sound odd?
latest report
Megamum, you seem to suggest you are alone.
So,
Lesson 1: never ski alone.
Stuck on a steep scary section all by your little self is horrible
Stuck on that steep scary section with some mates is still not nice, but is bearable
Lesson 2: always carry some chocolate. When the going gets tough its amazing what some Cadbury's can do for your morale.

Final bit of advice: take it one turn at a time.
Turn and stop. Take a deep breath. Have another chunk of chocolate. Go through the traditional hysterics at your mates of how they should never have taken you down this piste, how you're never going skiing with them again, how you're never going skiing again full stop . . .
And then do another turn.
And in no time you are down, looking back up, and thinking "that wasn't so bad - maybe I'll give it another try" snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, I submit to you that you're focused on the position of the skis, whether || or /\ or \/ and not on the feel of edging them.

The concept of the braking wedge is BOTH inside edges FULL ON, quite distinctive in feel from anything else and a very good security blanket tactic. Heck, you can practice it in lift mazes.

Again, worry not what the skis look like. Focus on that feeling of having both edges engaged as strongly as you can. That's your safe zone. Don't worry about anything else.
ski holidays
Megamum, I'm going to differ from comprex a bit here. The braking snowplough/wedge has its uses, but that's largely restricted to lift queues and v narrow tracks. As soon as it gets remotely steep (or even what you perceive as remotely steep) its as useful as a chocolate teapot; on the face of it quite comforting, but as soon as you start trying to use it it gets very messy indeed. If you've not come across it yet, now is the time to get friends with the sideslip. Useful on WAY more slopes than a snowplough.

Start off standing still on a moderate slope (i.e. not too gentle or it'll actually get rather difficult to do - as easy blue is about right), skis parallel, but directly across the slope, say with it falling away to your right. Your knees may be a little into the slope. Roll them very gently away from the hill, i.e. to your right, and the skis will start to slide sideways down the hill. If you're in the middle of your skis they will stay pointing directly across the slope, but if you're a bit far back the tails will grab more than the tips and the tips will start heading down first. So move a bit forward and they'll even up. (Edit: sorry, that bit's too simplistic - see below). Conversely if you're a bit too far forward. Once you've moved a few inches, say six inches to a foot, roll your knees gently back towards the hill (i.e. to your left) and hey presto (or rather 'lento') the skis stop moving. Practice this until you're happy and then allow the skis to slide a bit faster - by rolling your knees a bit further out from the slope. Once you're happy with this, move to a steeper slope. Once you've got this sussed you now have your lifetime "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. With a little more subtlety you can also slip forwards and backwards at will (you may have heard of people talking about a "falling leaf" exercise, well this is it) - which means you can get down gnarly narrow slopes without having to turn at all! You will use this on many, many occasions however staggeringly expert you get. The really good thing at your stage is that it will work on ANY pisted run - including the steepest black - so you need never worry about getting to somewhere you'll get stuck and not be able to get down; you just won't be doing it particularly fast. The only place it doesn't really work is on really heavy snow or breakable crust - but that's not something you'll have to worry about for several years yet.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 30-10-07 10:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
Turn out of trouble or just point 'em straight down and ride out the trouble. Twisted Evil

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Megamum, get your hands forward, plant a pole and jump headfirst down the piste.

I would certainly advise against a combination of these two. I did a quite spectacular combo in Soldeu where we missed a marker saying we'd strayed off the blue and onto the black... the piste suddenly got a lot steeper. Okay I thought, it's not bumpy, just icy, so I just went into the tuck. All was going well until about half-way down when I hit a patch of mud (early season) which has a similar effect to Frosty's technique. 100m, a broken pair of sunglasses and an exhilarating cart-wheeling session later... Shocked Laughing

I'm with GrahamN on the side slipping idea if you come to a section that you're not comfortable with (of course it's of little use if you've just barrelled over the lip and then find that it's not your cup of tea...) I still use side slipping, both for tricky situations and just manoeuvring around tight spots. For the scenario of going over the lip and then realising it's different to what you were expecting then I agree with the original posts, just turn (being careful not to over turn - there's nothing scarier than the original situation, other than going down the same tricky run backwards...)
latest report
GrahamN is absolutely right. If you NEED to get down some steep bits, side-slipping is the safetest way. And by the way, a solid side slip allows you to call yourself a "solid intermediate"! Wink

But if you miss noticing the ridge and going down the steep bits fast, then admin's advice is spot on. Personally, I found bring my hands forward is especially helpful.

While a breaking wedge doesn't solve the problem, it does slow you down just enoung that you could then try to turn uphill.
latest report
Quote:

for a lot of reasons I hope these new skis turn easily -

I feel that with all the talk about "the ski turns you" etc. (which is not to say that this is not the case, although it´s not as simple as that) and the discussions about "rotary", "foot steering" or whatever you want to call it, one essential point tends to get forgotten. This is simply that doing a "tight" turn, ie getting your skis from one direction, through the fall line and round to the other direction in a short time / distance, which is presumably what folks are seeking to control their rate of descent on a steep slope, actually requires EFFORT.

Good skiers doing lots of "foot/leg steering" of the skis may not actually look as though they are doing anything other than going where they want to go, but ın actuality their legs can be working pretty hard.
snow conditions
Yoda, good point. And the other essential is commitment.
So often the turn fails and you fall because of chickening out half way round.
latest report
GrahamN, I have only had one go at side slipping and it was a bit of a disaster as my skis just wanted to take me BACKWARDS, I found it quite disconcerting that I couldn't just slide downwards, the ski tails just wanted to lead and that I did NOT want! - from what you say that's because my weight's too far foward on the skis - does that mean I'm getting something right?? Shocked It is something I want to have another go at went I get away next Feb as I can see it is a really useful safety net.

When I was in Tignes I was taken down a too steep bit, and was working so hard, one or two turns at a time to prevent any excess speed, that I ended up with stitch and visibly quivering leg muscles - the result of that was that when I tried to stand up off the chair lift back up to the funicular station the legs went on strike and I ended up making my acquaintance with the ground & the lift had to be stopped! Embarassed
ski holidays
Megamum, If you are out of control then IMO the safest thing is to fall over. The exception to this is if you are on such a steep and hard slope that you will slide and not be able to stop. If you find yourself on such a slope you are pretty much stuffed anyway.

In the frozen skier case then a good sideslip will be valuable but doing frequent turns will lose the vertical much quicker. My own memory of those days when I used to find myself staring at the edge of the piste forced to do a turn is that I did much better when I kept turning and didn't allow myself to traverse.
snow conditions
NewSkier, you've hit right on the point at which I was over-simplifying things rather too much there. When slipping sideways there are two effects that cause the skis to twist, and they require completely opposite corrections Sad . What causes a twist is a difference in the position of the driving force (your weight) and the centre of resistance (the ski edges on the snow). I was concentrating there on the skiers weight pressuring the edges too much fore or aft, so say if you're hanging onto the edges behind you the tails grip the snow more than the tips, moving the centre of resistance backwards, and the tips drop. However, if you've got the pressure and grip relatively even fore-aft, having your weight backwards means that you're driving the skis down the hill from behind that centre of resistance and the tails will drop. So without seeing exactly what was happening, unfortunately I can't answer your question.

What is vital here though is self-awareness and -correction. Keep your ankles and knees soft, feel what the skis are doing and always make smooth movements. If you feel the tails dropping, try moving a little further back. If this makes it worse, then move further forward instead. As this is all going on quite slowly, you'll have plenty of time to make the corrections. When people start learning sideslipping, there will be a lot of correction going on, and you see skiers sort of scissoring down the slope, alternately tail- and tip-down. As you get more centred on your skis the corrections will become smaller, and it'll be more of a reflex action so you have to think about it much less (in writing this I'm desperately trying to think what I actually do, as it's all so automatic for me now - my 2nd week instuctor was insistent this was mastered before he even contemplated teaching any type of turn). However good you get though this feedback-correction remains vital, as you'll rarely be coming down a perfectly smooth slope and so the snow will always be grabbing the tips or tails more and so you are always making small corrections (analogy only NewSkier will understand - just like correcting for slight tower sway, you just do it without noticing Wink ).

Sorry if this sounds complicated - it's not as tough to do as it is to explain.
ski holidays
NewSkier, My instructor sticks a few minutes practising side slipping into most lessons. So far it hasn't clicked practically although I understand the theory and can see me doing it in my minds eye (just as I can see myself doing every else, but as I've said before my brain seems incapable of transmitting what it sees to my legs rolling eyes ), if it helps to show you are not alone, my side slip practice sessions usually culminate in me finally sitting down on the slope in fits of laughter Embarassed Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
ooohh...messy reading, not least because we have probably all been there.

I don't like the idea of you being all alone on a crowded blue as you will then not likely be able to turn when you feel you can turn..as opposed to the desired position of turning when you want to.

What you may end up doing is traversing the whole hill...which is good-ish speed-wise... but not really having the space to do that. Avoid the mad 4 o'clock runs at all times for this. And long traversers are targets for faster out of control skiers. If at all possible do the shortest turns you can and keep heading downhill. A good snowplough/wedge/stem at a very slow but controlled speed puts you advancing down the hill and not getting in too many others way....not that that should be your fault, but. So proceed with a tight as poss turn as slow as poss for as long as you legs can manage it. As you are travelling slowly others..who may not be in such control as you, can easily predict where you will end up so a stop somewhere safe ..at the brow of a stepper section should not be too much of a problem.

At this point have a breather, choose your line and commit again when you are ready. same as before.... slow tight turns, 100 mtrs, stop, repeat as...

If you can side-slip, employ as required...this is a brilliant technique which you will uses time and time again...and it will be required when you come to that crowded icy path which everyone is falling over on... edge, release check, edge, release check.... which amounts to holding the edge, flattening it enough so it will slide with you balanced on top of it, edge set again for the check/stop...

No advanced skier ever stops using this techique, IMO
latest report
Megamum, the 'turn uphill' advice is sound but don't do what I did - I missed a long sweeping right-hand turn and in a Michael Crawford 'Some mothers do 'ave 'em' style I careered straight over the corner and ended up on a Canadian Blue run and this was only my 2nd day skiing ever Shocked. Anyway, it was panic stations and brown salopettes time Embarassed. I knew I had to turn, so with my beginners' technique, I threw everything into getting my skis across the slope and that included my shoulders. BIG mistake because I managed to not only get my skis across the slope but I managed to get them facing uphill! I actually had a second's pause to think, 'Great! I've stopped.' And then I started sliding backwards down the slope Laughing. Cue more discolouration of the trews and a voice in my head shouting 'Reverse Snowplough!' Eventually, I stopped and had the pleasure of kicking off my skis and climbing 150 yards back up to the piste I was supposed to be on.

It was the most hilarious thing for everyone else in my group to see. Gits!

Edit: for spelling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy