Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland Resort Recomendations Wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've just moved to the UK from the USA, and have no experience of skiing in Europe. I'd like to take a ski trip to Switzerland in the spring, but I have no idea where to start looking for unbiased resort information. I'm looking for a mid-price Swiss resort that has a ski school where my girlfriend could take some lessons (she's never been skiing).

I saw the ski report thread at the top of this forum, but I'm hoping somebody could narrow down the choices a bit. I searched the forums, but didn't find what I'm looking for. I'm (obviously) new to the forum, so if I've overlooked it someplace, I apologize.

thanks,
Carl
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
camoscato, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Feel free to ask away with questions....we're always happy to answer!

If you've never skied Switzerland, I'd suggest Wengen or Zermatt is the place to go. IMO they are two of the most spectacular places in the skiing world. If you are looking for mid-priced, then Wengen is probably a cheaper option. It has lots of charm and is easily accessible for non-skiers (if your girlfriend decided she wanted a day off, she could still meet you on the mountain).

I'm sure lots of people will come up with alternative ideas Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gstaad is pricey but you have lots of slopes in your region. It is quite friendly for beginners and intermediates.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
camoscato, Welcome to snowHead 's. Zermatt has to be one of the greatest places in terms of scenery in the world IMO. However do not take your girlfriend there for her first ski holiday. The slopes are quite awkward to get to, we stayed in the town centre and it took about 45 mins on a good day until we got on to the slopes. Waiting for the bus or taxi, queuing to get on the lift / railway. It will not be much fun for a novice to carry their skis/poles wearing those boots "made by the devil!!".

For her first time chose something more ski in ski out. It may not be Switzerland but she will appreciate it more. Take her to the Matterhorn when you want that special place for that special time.

Wengen I cant comment on, but I do want to go there myself.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
camoscato, Welcome to Snowheads. Having worked in Villars I would say it was worth considering. The beginner slopes are up the mountain and the train ride up is a very civilised way to start the day. You can head off and explore while your girlfriend has a lesson and then meet up for lunch. The ski back to Villars is easy or you can take the train. It is also near to Geneva. Wengen in the Berner Oberland is the real chocolate box resort and the scenery is really beautiful. It is also a possibility but leave Zermatt until your girlfriend has gained confidence. Almost everyone in Switzerland speaks English which is a great help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbier has some fantastic slopes, guaranteed snow, high quality british ski schools,beautiful scenery,Lengendary off piste, A " short" transfer from either Geneva or Sion and if you want it, The best nightlife in the alps (imo). Difficult to go wrong in most large swiss resorts really as the standards that are set really are benchmark in europe(imo) and high peaks guarateeing snow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, I think Zermatt is just about the most expensive resort in Europe overall, so probably would not really fit his "mid priced" requirement Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
camoscato -- Welcome.

If you are going in Mar or Apr, you will need to head high.

The village must be atleast 1500m, preferably 1800m, with atleast 3000m up top.

St Moritz is the best allround resort in the world.

Zermatt is the second best.

Verbier is in the top 10.

The dolly will love any one of those three.

Don't listen to the stories of high prices. You can do all of these stations on a budget, if you look hard enough. Besides, you get what you pay for.

Enjoy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St. Moritz is a tad overated. Zermatt is beautiful but, a novice will not get the benefit of it unless she will just look at the spectacular Matterhorn. When taking beginners on a snow holiday, THE most important thing is nightlife and off snow considerations. If after all she does not take to the sliding she will be able to have a great holiday. Do not be selfish and invest in this holiday. Once she has got hooked "the world is your lobster"!!!

What is the fascination with St. Moritz? Certainly a chic place, but overun with pretentious folk, many inhabit another world up their own .......

The skiing is fine but, not earth shattering. Far better places for camoscato, to take the other half and have more fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney, it is possible to do Zermatt on a budget if you try hard enough.

In this situation, I would favour Wengen over Zermatt though.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B, depends how late Carl means by "spring". If it's mid-April I would think the extra height of Zermatt's area could come in handy.

camoscato, welcome to snowHead s.

I think Zermatt is fantastic but I would be careful where you book your accommodation as the village is very strung out. My plan would be to pick a ski school, here's 3 to consider ...

http://www.zermatt.ch/link/www.europeansnowsport.com
http://www.zermatt.ch/link/www.stoked.ch
http://www.zermatt.ch/link/www.summitskischool.com

e-mail or call them and ask them where they tend to teach beginners and try and find a hotel or appt near that lift station. Transport wise, cheap flight to Geneva and then train direct from the airport statio, one change to resort, using a swiss transfer ticket, £55 return.

I would say prices in Zermatt are reasonable, certainly if you're used to London. However, it's not the cheapest, so if you have a browse around http://www.zermatt.ch/index.e.html and think it's a bit pricey come back for more suggestions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the wealth of useful advice! I truly appreciate it, and it's great to have found this community.

Carl
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
camoscato, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead !
Some good advice on here already. Zermatt is certainly a destination which you should visit sometime whilst you're here in Europe (the Matterhorn is the most photogenic mountain in the world IMHO), but I'm not sure if it's best suited for your girlfriend's first ski trip. I'd second Elizabeth B's recommendation of Wengen.
Regardless of where you choose to go, you have the option of either going with a UK package tour operator(eg Inghams, Crystal, Thomson etc) or (my preference) make your own arrangements. These days numerous budget airlines operate from the UK to airports such as Geneva, Zurich, Basel and Bern. From these airports transfers to resort are available either using by road using local transfer companies or using the excellent swiss rail system. As brian said in his post, a swiss transfer ticket (valid for return rail trip from airport to resort) can be bought, actually current price about £51, from here
As a matter of interest, where have you mainly skied in the US?

PS Just a thought - if your girlfriend has never been skiing before, she can get a taste of it at the indoor snowdomes we have in the UK - the closest one to you in London is Xscape at Milton Keynes Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 29-10-07 20:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley wrote:
What is the fascination with St. Moritz? Certainly a chic place, but overun with pretentious folk, many inhabit another world up their own .......

The skiing is fine but, not earth shattering. Far better places for camoscato, to take the other half and have more fun.

It has a unique atmosphere. No other skitown in the world like it. Zero chavs. Zero losers. Great weather. Great views. Above-average skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, The Rolls that I saw in St Moritz with the flared wheel arches was possible the most "chav" thing I have ever seen, but the 6ft lady in an ankle length purple dyed mink coat came a very close second! Shocked I did like the horse racing on the lake though Smile
camoscato, welcome, I'll vote for Wengen as well.
snow report
i have been skiing in Verbier most of my life, im not sure if its perfect for you but i might as well give you an idea of what it is like.

On the buget issue i have to agree with Whitegold, you can do most resorts on a buget. If you want to do Verbier on a buget then an excellent idea is to stay in the valley, it is really pretty in the spring and if you stay in Le Chable then there is a lift that goes straight up to Verbier, joins the other lifts from the town itself and keeps on going to les Ruinettes where you can then ski from. I have stayed in Le Chable and would wager that you can get quicker onto the slopes from your door there than most places in Verbier itself.

For a beginner i would agree that it would be a good idea to go to a ski dome first. Verbier is, i have to admit, a more intermediate based resort, so although there is still terrain for beginners it is definitely more suitable for people who are happy with 'red runs', there is of course always the option of avoiding these runs, however they will tend to be paths in long traverses.

Its a great place and sorry i cant compare it with any of the others...
ski holidays
camoscato, Welcome to snowHead's

I would suggest - Mürren !!

snow report
Chris Brookes, Shocked you.....suggesting Murren wink
snow report
i know... rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
It'd be a good choice though!
snow report
camoscato,

I wouldn't say that Zermatt and Verbier are the best places for a new skier..far from it, ski-wise, but as places to tick off and maybe set an impression other-wise, top notch.

Saas Fee might split the difference scenery-wis and skiiing. None of these places are particuarly cheap and you would need to search out a few of the lesser well known Rhone valley resorts to get more reasonable prices. If you had a car you could tour them and do maybe 2 or 3.

Wengen is also a good looking choice, Maybe the 4 resorts I've mentioned would positioned themselves with Vail, finance-wise.

There are some very nice places I want to visit further east but they need to be recommneded by people who have been there.

Ok ok, I have tried to resist it.....check out St Luc, large enough ski domain, not lift connected but a good bus. Typically Swiss and ticks all boxes...plus no-one has been there...which will change if we keep getting posts like this...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT, rolling eyes .... ffs man ! consider yourself warned
snow report
Another way to do Verbier on a budget is to stay in Nendaz. Not great for night life though as I remember. The ski school isn't bad in Nendaz and the slopes are beginner friendly. One can ski over the top or take a bus to Super Nendaz and on to Tortin for Verbier. The run under the Tortin lift is long and easy. Veysonaz and Thyon are also in range.
ski holidays
camoscato, Why Switzerland in particular? I know some resorts are good value but look at possibly Italy or Austria for your girlfriends first ski trip. The nightlife is much better in these countries and it is sooooo important that she enjoys the holiday, more than you ticking the boxes. Bear in mind that if you pull out the stops you will earn the brownie points for a second holiday with the lads. Try St. Moritz, apparently there arent too many chavs there! wink wink
snow conditions
Resort x = St Luc ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roy Hockley wrote:
camoscato, Why Switzerland in particular?

Hi Roy,

I'm sure this is going to sound stupid, but here goes.... Prior to moving to the UK 6 months ago, I'd only been to Europe 4 other times, traveling to Italy, France, Spain, Germany and Austria. So Switzerland is mainly to add to the number of places I've been. Madeye-Smiley

Thanks to you and to everyone else who has chimed in with advice. It's good to know this forum is so active.

Carl
latest report
 brian
brian
Timmaah, no, but St Luc is near resort Y Laughing
latest report
or Z.... !!! but defo not resort X.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
camoscato, if going in early March I'd say Wengen would be ideal, however if you go later in the season you may want to loose some of the easier runs and go for a resort that's higher and thus more snow sure so perhaps the more expensive but equally scenic Zermatt would be better
ski holidays
Quote:

Ok ok, I have tried to resist it.....check out St Luc, large enough ski domain, not lift connected but a good bus. Typically Swiss and ticks all boxes...plus no-one has been there...which will change if we keep getting posts like this...

The bus may be virtuous but when I was there it was not ideal from a skiers point of view, fairly infrequent, a change necessary at Vissoie and not that cheap a car would be better to access the rest of the domain.. Plus if going late in the season its fairly west facing . Resort Y may be a better bet?
latest report
 brian
brian
T Bar wrote:
The bus may be virtuous but when I was there it was not ideal from a skiers point of view, fairly infrequent, a change necessary at Vissoie and not that cheap a car would be better to access the rest of the domain..

The cheapness issue has been addressed, all the buses above Vissoie are free to ski pass holders throughout the season. However, they're still fairly infrequent and you have to change at Vissoie, so I concur, a car is best.
snow conditions
I used a bus between Grimentz and Zinal and it was alway standing there when it said it would. Maybe they don't travel frequently and I'd have to get my bus map out but I think it is doable... It is not a thing you'd do everyday anyway.

We also have cars so ...

Seconds thoughts, its a pig..avoid at all costs...Laughing
snow report
 brian
brian
JT, yes resorts Y and Z are fairly well connected, it's crossing the valley to S-L and C that's more of a pain, and the bus down to resort V only goes on Fridays I think.
ski holidays
brian,

I will get over there this year..it looks worth a visit.
latest report
Quote:

look at possibly Italy or Austria for your girlfriends first ski trip. The nightlife is much better in these countries

CongratulationsRoy Hockley, you've won generalisation of the day! So e.g. Gressoney has better apres than e.g. Verbier?? Puzzled
ski holidays
the ice perv, True but in general you know the truth. I ski in France because I prefer the skiing there, however if I am taking a mixed group especially those that include beginners I would not take them to France over Austria (with a couple of exceptions). What I was getting at is that a beginnners resort priority may be different to those of you and I.
snow report
BTW I take the award with all graciousness. I would like to thank.......................
ski holidays
Fair enough Roy Hockley, glad you're being gracious! Smile I just have a real issue with people generalising about one country over another, particularly the main alpine countries which have literally hundreds of resorts each.

The one which really grinds my teeth is "country A gets much more snow than country B" AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
No worries.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy