Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth a little warm up before you ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I feel more flexible when I have warmed up and stretched - then I go for it on and off piste.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a man who has spent more than a little time rolling around on the slopes of Saas Fee, Verbier and latterly New Zealand under the guidance of Warren Smith, I am convinced that warming up is of great benefit. I no longer get the odd muscle pulls and spasms that I used to, even though I'm skiing harder than before. I know that this is an area of great interest for Warren and that he is working with several experts in the area to develop a program of warming up, stretching and warming down for normal skiers and those returning from injury. He was doing a lot of development on this part of his website when we were in New Zealand and although I think it's still a work in progress here are some links,

http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ski_biomechanics-physiology.htm
http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ski_biomechanics-physiology_pre-ski-warm-up.htm
http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/ski_biomechanics-physiology_after-ski-cool-down.htm

Have a look, it's all good stuff
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I went on the Warren Smith course a couple of years ago and he insisted on doing the warm up and cool down routines, I never ached all week.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had some accommodation recently with under-floor heating.

really good for sitting on and stretching your hamstrings, also recommend a quick blast from the cold tap over the legs after that nice warm shower.
Takes some courage, but seems to help me.
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What am I doing wrong. I do warm ups and warm downs with stretching each time. but I ache like hell and I even did loads of exercise prep like squats and lunges and was riding my bike hard 3 miles each way to work for 3 months in advance but my thighs were burning by 6 turns - what do I do about it?

Help!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing, exactly - warm up by starting slowly not by stretching, and warm down too - usually by walking steadily to a bar, or preferably a swimming pool or jacuuzzi. I love to swim a bit after skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
innerspaceservices, thighs burning usually implies not getting forward enough. So the answer the question
Quote:

what do I do about it?

may well be "Check that you are far enough forward, and if you aren't, have a lesson or two."
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was skiing today--- I walked 50 yards over icy pistes to the first tow--- the tow had no upper bit to grab hold of and the uptrack was intersting---- I travesed (some poleing) 300 yards to next T-bar --- almost 1 mile long and the T bar I had chosen seemed to be smaller than the others and didn't quite fit fully behind me so I spent most of the time trying to hold on tight---- Then I took the final tow to the top--- I then sat down and rested for 5 mins before I started coming down hill Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A warm up is important as it not only physically prepares your body but puts you in the right metal frame of mind. When people are talking about stretching it is important what type of stretching you do. Dynamic stretching (replicating the movements of the activity) is more beneficial.

What is more important than the warm up is the recovery, to reduce the onset of muscle soreness. Stretching again is important and it should be carried out for a longer period of time in the warm down than the warm up.

in reality I ignore my own advice, I am on a "holiday" where I can ski not a sports training session so get up with a hangover stumble on to the piste ski the hit the bar at the end of the day for 1 or 2 small ones before dinner.

This is a good website which is detailed yet simple.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/warmup.htm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Light easy run to warm up. For example in Tignes - From the top of Toviere down Piste H to Val Claret. Perfect slope to warm up and THEN stretch. I'd never stretch before. easiski, I dont believe your muscles are actually warmed up in the shower? You just feel warm? I always have a warm up, but this may be habit from my teaching days as I did that at the start of every lesson and after lunch.

Alex
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jtobin03, very much so. The warm down is crucial as you say.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A few lunges or calf stretches while waiting on the lift line never do anyone any harm. If its not a powder day a quick "loosener" down a well groomed piste also helps. If it is a powder day extracating myself from the first wreck of the day usually gets me thoroughly warmed up wink
latest report
 monster77
monster77
fatbob, You should not stretch or lunge before you have warmed up. there is more chance of tearing a muscle. Stretching should be part of your warm down after exercise.

A warm up should be a bit of gentle running on the spot arm swings etc to get the blood flowing. but I find a 5-10 minute walk to the lift then climbing the steps of the lift station enough of a warm up in the morning

Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy