Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sking near kitzbuhel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all

We are a family of 4 two kids 11 yrs and 13.

We are spending 2 months ( Jan Feb ) in Brixen im Thale west

of Kitzbuhel. Although we've skied before we are basically beginners.

It seems as if we've got two options for season ski passes. The more expensive is the Kitzbuhel one which covers 5 ski areas with extensive areas to go at.

The much cheaper option is the ski-veldt which is not as large but seems adequate for our basic needs.

Can any of you help with any advise on this. Basically .... is the ski veldt area too small for a couple of months?

Secondly.... does anyone have any rough idea of the cost of two months hire of skis and boots ?

Cheers. The good news is the snow's come early !!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
billym, as far as I know the Ski Welt is in fact bigger than the Kitzbühel area! It's the biggest joined up ski area in Austria, at least that's what they used to claim. Possibly now that Kitz has a connection to Westendorf and hence to the Ski Welt they can claim to be bigger Puzzled
I would also say that the Ski Welt is more suited to beginners, and since you are living in Brixen it's the area that you have direct access to from the village. I guess that makes the choice simple.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billym, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
I guess you've seen the Ski Welt website here (I see that a special family rate is available).
The resorts in the Ski Welt area comprise Brixen, Hopfgarten, Itter,Ellmau, Going, Scheffau, Soll and Westendorf (which is now linked to the Kitzbuhel ski area via the new "Ki-West" gondola).
However, the Kitzbuhel lift company site states that there is a "Kitzbuheler Alpen" combined liftpass available which as well as covering the Kitzbuhel region and the Ski Welt area also includes the Schneewinkel(whose resorts inclide St Johann in Tyrol,Kirchdorf, Waidring,Reit im Winkl, Fieberbrunn and Weissach), Alpbach (beautiful village) and Wildschonau regions (resorts Niederau, Oberau and Auffach)! Prices for this are given here. For the relatively small amount extra, it seems well worthwhile. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 28-10-07 9:26; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Firstly welcome to snowHead billym.
That Kitzbuheler Alpen pass looks a fantastic deal and there are always days out to ski areas slightly further away if you want the odd day trip to explore some more terrain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We used the Kitzbuheler Alpen Pass on our last visit and really for the amount of terrain available, it makes sense to spend the extra few Euros. If I was going for a couple of months, I would want as much as possible to go at, that way you can use different resorts depending on weather, snow, crowds, and just what kind of terrain you feel like skiing.

D
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're staying for 2 months then you will no longer be beginners at the end of the period! I think it's worth getting the whole area pass - the SkiWelt, Westendorf and Kitzbuhel areas all have different characters.

I've not checked out season long rents but my suspicion would be that you'd be better off buying equipment, I'd definitely buy boots. Skis do have an ongoing cost for servicing, and if you're relatively new to skiing then you may want to take the opportunity to try a range out before buying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I think it was the line..........

If I was going for a couple of months, I would want as much as possible to go at, that way you can use different resorts depending on weather, snow, crowds, and just what kind of terrain you feel like skiing................

that made me realize I was just being tight thinking I could get away with the cheaper option!!!!!

We have got some gear but will take the advise and get the boots and skis before we go !!

JJSD rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
billym, you might want to consider getting skis and boots when you arrive - since you'll be their for such a long time. If you buy boots in the UK and want to get them 'fettled' then you'll be in the wrong place!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
billym,

Welcome.

There are a few resorts that you would want to visit..along with the most popular ones mentioned above.
Steinplatte as it was called is just down the road from Kirchdorf but you would need a car, I'd say. Also Feberbrunn and St Johann.

Kirchdorf itself was just a long chair which is worth a day if you are just starting....

I think your plan sounds pretyt good and you should get lots of variety from the area if you were to stay 2 months.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
billym, Welcome to snowHead 's. Brixen is connected to ski welt and you will have enough to keep you occupied. A couple of day trips to Kitz. IMO an overated ski area for difficulty. Would not be too much to trouble you after 3 weeks skiing. Do not know difference for the lift pass's prices however if it isnt too much of a variance go for the larger area so that you can enjoy a fantastic couple of months, both you and the kids will always have the memories.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want to ski Fieberbrunn and Waidring (Steinplatte) get the train to St Johann (10 minutes twice an hour approx 3 Euros) and then free ski bus with lift pass on to both resorts which (I think) stops at the station.

St Johann, Fieberbrunn and Waidring are good beginner / early intermediate resorts with wide pistes and few drag lifts and from my experience tend to be quieter. If nothing else, St Johann is worth a visit for the shopping - tends to be a bit cheaper than Kitzbuhel.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
billym, Great area to ski,lots of easy pistes on ski-welt but can be a few busy runs down to resorts later on,especially with the little ones.Westendorf can be a bit more difficult depending on your ability, but after afew weeks skiing you should be fine(we enjoy it).
Kitzbuheler Alpine Pass is a must if you want the most from the area,covers about 600kms give or take.
Third time for us next year as we enjoy this area so much. As snowHead's have already mentioned so many resorts,, you may need to have the use of a car as we did.
We are back to stay in Westendorf between 2nd & 9th of Feb 2008.
The free ski bus between Dorf and Brixem takes about 5-10 minutes transfer so is easy to reach this area. Very Happy
You should enjoy yourselves around here very much.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My friends live in that area, when we stay with them we always get the Kitzbuheler Alpen pass - as long as you've got a car you can get to most of the resorts within 30 mins and you'll get to know which resorts are best to head to on which day.

This year we skied a different resort each day, which was great. As afcbtim, said Steinplatte is a great Beginner/ intermediate area - it also has a really nice black for later on in your time there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
billym, Hi I ski there every year great area. I would get boots in resort, that way any problem's you can go back to the shop to sort it out. Don't buy ski's to begin with as after two weeks you will wish you bought some other pair.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's a bus between Brixen and Kitzbuhel which is free with a lift pass (as long as you have skis with you they don't even check). This will take you to the Flechalmbahn at Kitzbuhel, and there's suitable skiing there, you can then look at doing more of the resort on each visit. Also if you catch the bus into town you can transfer to the ringbus and go to the Horn.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy