Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best ski hire in Banff?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

me and the (soon to be) Mrs are honeymooning in Banff over christmas and want to know the best place to rent skis. the Ski Stop is the best i can find online and they have a free VIP 'change your skis as often as you like' policy. which is really useful as i might well buy a set out there and getting to try them all first is a bit of a bonus.

so anyway, anyone got any suggestions for other good hire places?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
teetree, Welcome to snowHead s. I don't know this ski shop, I;ve always hired from the on-site shop at the Inns of Banff for convenience (that's where I stay). Maybe you want to check out the location in relation to your accomodation - it could be quite a distance and you'll have to change your skis when you get back from the mountain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're staying at the Rimrock which as far as I know has a free ski concierge service.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
teetree wrote:
We're staying at the Rimrock which as far as I know has a free ski concierge service.

that sounds posh (the hotel certainly is) - wots one of those then? do they go and swap your skis for you, or just look after them when you get back (Chateau Frontenac in Quebec did that)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well as i understand it, the ski hire place itself provides a car to come and pick you up for your initial fitting and take you back to your hotel. and then the hotel provides complimentary transport after that.

this is our first time skiing in canada. what's a decent amount to pay for 14 days hire? the ski stop's standard rate for 14 days is $270 and their VIP rarte is about $370. although you can redeem $190 of that against any set of skis you buy from them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
teetree, that is posh!! I can't remember what hire costs, sorry. I would just do some comparisons like you are doing. The rate sounds ok to me for 14 days though. If you buy skis, remember there will be sales tax to add to the advertised price. If you've not been to Canada before I suggest you do a search on this site - there's lots of info on Banff, also about tipping (you have been warned!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers HL. i'm fairly au fait with the whole tipping thing as i lived in the US for a year and i find that as the food is so cheap (relatively speaking), i dont mind paying the extra in tips.

lots of lovely pre trip research, here i come...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Banff-well April-but i am going back again for the season this year. What level are you skiing wise and I will be able to provide more help!

Ross
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'm about a 7, maybe an 8 and the other half is a fast progressing 4 or 5. we're looking to be mainly on piste, but i may venture into some powder at some point, so i'm looking at getting some bandits or similar.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
teetree, I hired from Ski Stop, albeit 5 years ago now. They were very helpful and professional and had a great range of skis to choose from. They actually did a bit more than hold the nearest pair up to see if they reached your nose or your chin!

One piece of advice, when I was there they offered an insurance policy for something like 2 bucks a day. I gouged a huge hole in the bottom of my ski on a rock and the ski concierge in my hotel said "looks like you just bought a pair of skis buddy"

However, with the insurance the Ski Stop guys simply had a new pair delivered to the hotel overnight. Phew!!

The shop is fairly central on the main drag through town if I remember correctly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers tyke.

sounds like they might be our guys. they certainly look pretty professional on their site.

they couldnt be any worse than the people we had last year. we went with flexible breaks (who were fantastic), but the ski shop they used at sauz d'oulx was abysmal. it was the little place just at the bottom of the main blue, opposite the hotel miosotis. i think my skis were older than me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We got ours through Crystal. They used Ultimate Ski and Ride, right in centre of towm, they set them all up and deliver to your hotel in the evening
http://www.ultimatebanff.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
People have had alot of probs at the ski stop poorly serviced equip etc! I'd be carefull and rent locally when you arrive! There are plenty shops around town.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ultimate ski will do it while you wait, just turn up when you get there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you decide to buy skis there you can claim back some of the taxes at the airport. They should do it there and then in Calgary airport but it is BEFORE you check in, just show your plane ticket, goods and receipts and that should be ok. I only realised that this is the procedure once I'd checked in my skis and had to send in a postal application from the UK with a photo of my skis with a British newspaper they treated this as an 'exception' but I got my money back in the end!
latest report
You can claim the tax back as long as you have a copy of the plane ticket. By signing the refund form, you're simply claiming you took the goods out of Canada. I've done that many times on my trips to Canada.

But I agree it's much simpler to do it while you were there. You get your money right on the spot.
ski holidays
thanks for the advice Re: taxes. always good to get a bit of money back. i'll have to thave a think about where to hire from.
snow conditions
abc,teetree, unfortunately they stopped GST refunds as of 1st April this year so no more tax back. Sad

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.html
snow conditions
geetee wrote:
abc,teetree, unfortunately they stopped GST refunds as of 1st April this year so no more tax back. Sad

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gi/notice221/notice221-e.html

Wow!

Make sure you get a lesson included in the "package"!? Shocked

Thanks for the info.
snow report
I've always wondered about the sense of pre-booking, yes vital at half-term or similar 'stuplidly busy' period - the shope nearest us in Les M, had run out of kids skis by 5pm on the saturday afternoon, leaving people to have to drop to the town to sort them out, and some very streessed mummies and daddies..

BUT if you're not at peak, peak, peak - how the hell do you know if the 'tour operator' selected shop is either (a) conveninet or (b) has the type / range of kit you want. Personally I've always not worries about saving the 10-15% by pre-booking (at then end of the day its nor more than a couple of rounds of beers) and checking out the shops in resort when I get there to find the best kit for me...
ski holidays
1) Unless the shop comes recommended by people who has used it. That's who teetree is doing.
2) teetree is going during X'mas.
3) The saving of $100 can fund a lot of rounds of beer. Very Happy
ski holidays
and the saving of $199 on a bought pair of ski's is a LOT of beer. especially at n.american prices.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy