Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ZENITH Z5 V METRON 10

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's time for new ski's, the old K2 Omni 4.5's are going on Ebay! They were a great skis for a while but now I need something a lot more stable at high speed.
So, after countless hours pouring over magazines, catalogues, websites & most importantly the words of wisdom from yourselves in the forum; it’s now down to theses two:
Rossignol Zenith Z5 in a 162cm
Or
Atomic Metron 10 in 157cm
I’m off to Snow & Rock Saturday morning so any thoughts & advice from anyone who tried either of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks as ever.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Metron has more energy. I've tried both and thought the Z5 was a metron wanna-be.
Sorry to be brutal, but that is how I felt.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I upgraded last year from a pair of Atomic C9's at 167cm to a pair of Metron 10's at 172cm (they were the last pair at that price at the ski show),the guy from the shop reccomended them after i told him i was mainly a fairly fast aggressive piste skier but did say that the metrons had been made to ski shorter-so i went to see the guys at the actual Atomic stand and they said i should be fine for me after i explained what i was like and i was already skiing 167's. So you may not have to go that short especially if your on the heavier side like me.

My verdict after skiing them was like i'd had a quantum leap in my skiing i just didn't want to take them off and when i did i was almost kissing them(i think i bored everyone silly praising them up),admittedly i'd previously been skiing too long on early intermediate skis but the Metron 10's have given me so much more stability at speed and you tend to enjoy driving them hard on the turn-i'm not that technically minded so can't really describe much more but all i can say is what a great ski they are.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How much do you weigh?

This will be a major factor in your choice.

Atomics, generally are harder to flex than the rossi's- This is a historic thing- The "germanic" brands are generally built for bigger,stronger skiers than most french brands.

Having said that, i found the zeniths a "sheep in wolfs clothing" and reacted well as hard as i pushed it!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was riding Metron M11:B5s @ 158cm last year, and while I'm neither tall (5'9") or heavy (70kg) I found them a little lacking in high speed stability. Great in every other respect, but not exactly sure exactly how that translates for a Metron 10.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinking in broader terms, rather than just playing off the two you listed, the Metron is designed to be skied short, and has a turn radius of something like 13m, so if what you need is "something a lot more stable at high speed" I'd suggest you're looking at the wrong type of ski. Stability needs length, and while you can get a longer Metron, it may be that you're trying to make it perform a function it wasn't specifically aimed at...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For the record, the M10 is the unsung hero of the Metron Line. There are many who skied metrons and didn't like them that Loved the M10!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Metron 10 in 157cm unless you're over 165lbs or timid in which case get the longer ones.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have owned and thrashed a pair of Z5s (wanted Z9s but couldn't get a pair).

I'm a 9.5 stone, fairly aggressive girlie skier.

The Z5s were great, don't get me wrong. They carved really easily and held the edge brilliantly, you could be very lazy on then (which was just as well as the first outing on them I was recovering from a severe knee injury) but you could also have fun on then.

But...

They were too soft really for me. I just needed a little bit more oooph from them.

I have some Z9s awaiting me for this season!!

I'm afraid I have no experience of the Atomics.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
letitsnow,
I'm 5'8 & 74kg

From what I've taken onboard, I think it comes donw to this, the Zenith Z5 is an easier ski to use but the Metron will be more challanging & could, possilby bring me on a bit more.

Atomic_Mick,
I was a bit worried about the shorter length and was tempted to go for the 164cm but somebody very kindly sent me a Metron chart to work out which length you should go for & it came out at 157cm. But it still seems short to me though!

As ever thanks for all the advice gang, I've got another two days of wasting the company's time surfing the net & reading more reviews etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lucan,
I'm 5'8 and 90+kg so maybe the weight difference is why i'm very happy skiing the 172cm but i'd be tempted by the 164's too if i were you i guess you've gotta take into account how fast/aggressive you ski too really-they've been testing out some of the metrons at the atomic boot camp so maybe they can give you a bit of info or you could always just go over for a few sneaky days for testing purposes of course snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy