Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breckenridge - package or DIY?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, so here's the scenario. Mates of ours living in the US are going to be in Breckenridge in early March.

We'd like to join them (they're a big party) but being old gits, we're not too wild about sharing one huge chalet with lots of smelly blokes in their mid 20s (no offence intended to any snowHead blokes of similar demographic).

So, we're thinking that 4 of us in the UK will head over there for the same week.

Should we a) book a package or b) DIY, i.e. fly, hire a car, rent a condo.

If we ignore the price difference, just for the sake of argument, which would you guys recommend? Is the drive to Breck from Denver OK? Would having a car while in town be of some use? Should I just bin it and go to Austria?

Your thoughts please, fellow snowHead s

Cheers

Zammo
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the 3/4 trips I've done there, I've always found it cheaper to DIY.

Direct BA flight to Denver, then used CME (www.ridecme.com) to get to Breckenridge. Hiring a car is always a judgement call - will any of you want a 2 hour drive after a long flight (especially if it's bad weather). Having said that, it mostly interstate all the way with no tricky European-style winding roads up a mountain. After that, it depends on how many days you plan to visit other resorts. Keystone and A-Basin are a free bus ride away, and there are various, reasonably-priced, options to reach Vail. How are the rest of the group planning to get around?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMO, definitely DIY. That way you get to fly with a decent airline that has comfortable seats and sensible check-in times, you don't have a TO rep trying to flog you overpriced extras and you have a much wider range of accommodation available to you. I'd drive, too. It's an easy trip and it's much easier to fit in a day trip to another Summit County resort like Vail.

As for Austria... can't you fit in a second trip at Easter?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right. DIY it is. And I was so looking forward to the three-legged fancy dress pub crawl with the TO ....

As for Austria, I have 10 days booked in Switzerland over Christmas, a weekend there again for a stag do in Jan + USA in March. I guess Austria will have to be Feb and then maybe I could squeeze in the EOSB!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely hire a car, gives you complete flexibility. Its a very easy drive from Denver (as supernaut said), and means you can go to other resorts really easily if you fancy it, there are quite a few decent other resorts handy from Breck. You can also stop and hire skis more cheaply than in resort (or buy old season) at somewhere like Silverthorne on the way up to Breck from Denver. Try Pure in Silverthorne - its part of the outlet complex just off the I70, we got 2 seasons old Bandits for £120, plus some warm kit and lots of people were stopping in to hire there as well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy